Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Professor Hulk

I think what we saw was more Green Banner. Perhaps they'll develop him in the direction of Professor Hulk from Peter David's run, but the End Game version wasn't an integration of the two personalities. It was literally Banner's personality  in the Hulk's body. I do think that they could take him into the more conflicted Professor Hulk direction in the future. And Green Banner was fun. Though he seemed to lack Hulk's normal healing ability.

19 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

So, I'm sure someone else must have noted this, but I just finished seeing it a second time, and one thing was very, very clear that I just missed, the first time.

Bucky knew.

He knew what Steve was going to do. He said, "I'm going to miss you," when supposedly Steve was only going to be gone for 5 seconds.

He smiled and turned away as Hulk and Sam freaked out when Steve didn't come back.

He was a bit surprised, but knew immediately who was sitting on the bench.

He pushed Sam to go talk to Steve and clearly knew about the shield being passed on to him. 

So clearly, at some point, old Steve had come to him and told him what was what. He was prepared for it. 

And this goes a long way towards really establishing that Steve was around for those 70 plus years incognito.

Oh yeah, Bucky knew.  I mean, I basically knew he was going to stay behind.  It seemed kinda obvious to me.  I think Bucky felt the same way and just knew that Steve was going to go find his lost love.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

The Bad:

The Five Year Gap

Yeah, I found the 5 year gap very irritating. I thought the movie universe has been going much too fast trying to keep up with our real life universe. So a five year time jump forward is just adding insult to injury.

The only good thing I see that might come from this is if they use this as an excuse to jump the technology of superheroes more than five years forward.

In theory, the world and Stark in particular could see how vulnerable Earth is and have worked on streamlining the clunky "real-life" aspects of some of the tech and have made it more like the comic books. Like if Stark had worked anti-grav technology into a new set of Falcon wings so Sam doesn't have rocket exhaust burning his butt off every time he flies.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, Toxxus said:

Presumably a large chunk of formerly dusted teachers and administration staff will have returned with the new students.  Should be a wash.  :)

Well, the question was about how Peter would fit in and I pointed out the chaos of the situation.

Having teachers and staff come back would keep it from being completely hopeless. But it'd still be chaos with whole schools having been shut down (perhaps burned, looted, vandalized, converted to other uses, etc.) and needing to be re-opened, abandoned school cafeterias having to come back up to health codes, a lack of whichever textbooks the school system is using five years from now, teachers with continuing training which is five years behind the times.

Even if the school systems wanted to give all the returnees their old jobs back immediately and not displace anyone who had been hired in the five year interrum, the school districts wouldn't have money to pay a staff which had doubled in size when it comes to the end of the month.

All of the problems could be fixed if given enough time and given enough willingness to create money out of thin air then throw that money at all the problems.

The school system isn't even going to blink at a nondescript and completely unexceptional Peter Parker showing up and wanting to resume his classes.

In my earlier post, and not sure if anyone else mentioned, but also loved "On Your Left" from Sam on radio as portal opened with Panther coming out.

I agree, Bucky knew or guessed as soon as Steve didn't reappear. Imagine how hard it must have been for Steve not only to stand by and watch Hydra succeed then fail, but to NOT go and rescue Bucky, once he knew he was alive AND where he was being kept (the base in Syberia). I would love to at least see some shorts put out showing Sam as Captain America (or better, American Eagle - keep the wings and the Shield) and Steve returning the Soul Stone and having a "discussion" with Red Skull.

Loved Clint as Ronan.

I actually felt the scene with all the women aiding CM was to say, "HEY, idiots, we have had strong women in our movies and comics from the start, or haven't you been paying attention". One of my friends commented that in these movies, he kinda is tired of the racial/female empowerment stuff. Not because he thinks it is wrong, but mostly because he feels like Comics have been doing so since the 70s or earlier. I said I don't mind, if it is a good movie. Black Panther was a pure minority empowerment movie, but it was also well directed, written and acted and looked beautiful (and they made Man-Ape cool).

So I went to see Endgame rather earlier in its run than is my usual wont, because people kept trying to spoil it on the Internet, which I need to mention just because I know it's all Aquaman's fault somehow. Speaking of spoilers, the whole thread is under a spoiler tag so I'm not going to bother. Sorry for those who clicked anyway. 

Now for Deep Thoughts With A Guest Host Because Jack Handy Isn't Available:

--I love* the development of Nebula's role in a way that I haven't always loved the big movie heel turns. (Lookin' at you, Jennifer Lawrence. Shoulda pushed for a chance to play Tabitha Smith in the Nextwave movie that would blow this Avengers stuff out of the water, you listen to me, MCU.) 

--At least for the moment, I'm willing to buy that Captain Marvel has one heck of a move through and is very sturdy. Good for taking out spaceships, maybe not as good at mowing down mooks. 

--I assume that Captain America's Excellent Adventure is going to turn out to be long enough and elaborate enough to answer all the questions. All the questions. Also, it will be a great way to funnel a gazillion dollars into Chris Evans' pocket if he doesn't turn out to be the next Olivier.

--Lay off Dad Body Thor, everybody. PTSD. Look it up. Also, it's so sweet that he's not over Jane Foster. I wouldn't be either, in the unlikely event that I fell for her while trying to get Darcy's phone number. 

--Thought the Grrl power thing was overdone. 

--Read some guy complaining about how Valkyrie got hold of Aragorn. Had to restrain myself from jumping down the Intertubes to strangle him into silence before the Russos took it back. 

--Morgan too old, Cassie too old? Not sure these things compute. Also, Clint is a bad, bad Dad who can't even remember his own daughter's name. I know that's spelled "Lila," but it's pronounced K-A-T-I-E. 

--Rocket needs to be in charge of everything.

--Very disappointed that Hulk didn't get to punch it up with Thanos and show that he really is the strongest one there is, but I have to bear in mind that that's not the real Hulk.

--I'm glad I went to see this in 3D so that I could contribute  to what must be a big enough cameo budget to float Hollywood down to the Pacific on a tidal wave of cash. 

--Someone else has mentioned that Jarvis was the only TV MCU guy. Too bad, as I would have preferred the Agent Carter Howard Stark, but he was, indeed, most worthy. 

--Anyone who thinks that it's a million-to-one chance that a rat happened to walk on any particular flat surface in that warehouse has never actually dealt with  a rat infestation. Yuck yuck yuck. The amazing thing is that it took five years. 

--Captain America being worthy was the biggest of the spoilers I encountered this weekend. Given how often it was floated, I was actually a bit sad that there wasn't someone a bit more out of left field who could have done the wielding. Perhaps someone with a bad habit of shouting her attacks out loud? "Terawatt X-ray laser --I mean, magic hammer smitey attack!" Especially if Captain America told her to go back to the kitchen and make dinner a moment before.**

*Love love love love: "This is the guy? Seriously?" "Your choices were him or a walking tree."#

**Yes, yes, a bit out of character, but he's under stress, you know? Seriously, Hollywood, call me. Nextwave  is gold. 

#Loved. She even managed to get off one of her signature "Yeah, okay, lady [backs away slowly]" moments that I would quote verbatim if I could remember the actual line. 

Yeah, those folks who object to the "forced diversity" in recent comics need to toss out their X-Men back issues.

Seriously, let's consider the 2nd version of the team (Giant Sized X-Men #1):

- a black African woman

- an Asian 

- a Native American 

- an Irishman 

- a Soviet Communist 

- an assassin 

...and Scott.

Looks pretty diverse to me. And this was nigh unto two generations ago.

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

Yeah, those folks who object to the "forced diversity" in recent comics need to toss out their X-Men back issues.

Seriously, let's consider the 2nd version of the team (Giant Sized X-Men #1):

- a black African woman

- an Asian 

- a Native American 

- an Irishman 

- a Soviet Communist 

- an assassin 

...and Scott.

Looks pretty diverse to me. And this was nigh unto two generations ago.

Well, the thing about diversity, it needs to happen organically or it ends up feeling forced.  It makes sense that if there are superheroes, then there would be black superheroes and female superheroes and asian superheroes and gay superheroes, etc etc etc.  But the characters also have to be interesting, and the stories have to be good, and that's not something you can just snap your fingers and accomplish instantly.  Without good stories and good characters, it just feels like you're checking a box to fill a quota, and that's how you get Apache Chief and other ultra stereotype characters.  And then sometimes when they take an existing character with a good story, and they change them to make them a minority (just to make them a minority) they can screw up an existing good character.

I think the Marvel movies have done a pretty good job of avoiding those problems, but every once in a while the "girl power" moments fall a little flat.  My biggest problem with the scene in Endgame when all the women come together is, well, Captain Marvel didn't need any of them.  She's like "oh gee, I'm really glad I've got Gamora and the Wasp here to help me blast all these mooks".  What she really should have done is just grab the gauntlet and then fly off into space.

24 minutes ago, massey said:

And then sometimes when they take an existing character with a good story, and they change them to make them a minority (just to make them a minority) they can screw up an existing good character.

I felt so strongly this way when they smoked Wolverine and replaced him with the young Hispanic lady.

Make interesting new heroes as you go along.  Don't hijack the old ones and repaint them.  It feels so forced and it alienates the long-time fans (who have paid for the product for decades).

11 hours ago, slikmar said:

In my earlier post, and not sure if anyone else mentioned, but also loved "On Your Left" from Sam on radio as portal opened with Panther coming out.

I agree, Bucky knew or guessed as soon as Steve didn't reappear. Imagine how hard it must have been for Steve not only to stand by and watch Hydra succeed then fail, but to NOT go and rescue Bucky, once he knew he was alive AND where he was being kept (the base in Syberia). I would love to at least see some shorts put out showing Sam as Captain America (or better, American Eagle - keep the wings and the Shield) and Steve returning the Soul Stone and having a "discussion" with Red Skull.

Loved Clint as Ronan.

I actually felt the scene with all the women aiding CM was to say, "HEY, idiots, we have had strong women in our movies and comics from the start, or haven't you been paying attention". One of my friends commented that in these movies, he kinda is tired of the racial/female empowerment stuff. Not because he thinks it is wrong, but mostly because he feels like Comics have been doing so since the 70s or earlier. I said I don't mind, if it is a good movie. Black Panther was a pure minority empowerment movie, but it was also well directed, written and acted and looked beautiful (and they made Man-Ape cool).

The all women shot was clearly a homage to comics....which have full page shots like this all the time. I had zero problems with it.

18 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

The all women shot was clearly a homage to comics....which have full page shots like this all the time. I had zero problems with it.

Exactly. Did anyone have a problem with all three of the big guns (Cap, IM and Thor) easily finding each other and getting their "Big Three" posing moment?  Same thing. It is a standard beat in these kind of comic homage splashes.