Stretching with neither a focus nor a limb

Ximenez

Question

How do you determine the amount of damage needed to damage a stretched "limb" that is neither a limb nor a focus?

Here's the special effect: a character (super) is surrounded by rope-like energy fields that function as a damage shield. She can extend a "rope" to grab other characters at range, doing damage to them as well. Unless I'm mistaken, this is Stretching, probably with extra STR usable only with Stretching. She shoots out a "rope," grabs someone with it, zaps them.

It's Stretching in part because other characters can attack the rope. But's not a focus, so what are the rules for determining how much damage is needed to break the rope? This same question would arise if Stretching was bought with an unbreakable focus--you can't attack the focus and destroy it, but how would you determine the damage needed to cut through the stretched item?

1 answer to this question

Good question!

To begin with, I think we need to consider whether this power is, in fact, best represented with Stretching. The definition of Stretching is, “A character with Stretching can stretch his body [emphasis mine][.]” While it’s true that there are forms of Stretching that don’t strictly involve the body (e.g., weapons that increase the character’s Reach, or a lasso that lets him Grab at a distance), those both fall clearly within the functions of Stretching as outlined in the first paragraph on 6E1 284. And they both involve a Focus.

So, while the rules don’t require that Stretching involve either the character’s body or a Focus, the fact is that’s what’s involved in the vast majority of cases in which a character buys Stretching. Since what you describe doesn’t fall within those parameters, I’m not sure Stretching is the best way to build this power.

Instead, I would probably build this as Telekinesis with the Limitation Physical Manifestation (which represents the fact that the power can be attacked, Grabbed, or what have you). Physical Manifestation has rules for the damage required to “break” the power, and so on.

If you prefer to stick with Stretching, then I think Physical Manifestation (6E1 387) is still your answer.

I hope that helps! If you still have questions, please PM me or post a follow-up.