Wish List: Next Round of Marvel Movies

Pariah

Okay, with Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe wrapping up, which previously unseen Marvel characters would you like to see in the next round of films? Here's my top 5:

5. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
4. Nova (Richard Ryder)
3. Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
2. She-Hulk*
1. Moon Knight 

I'd also like to see a Cannonball/Sunspot buddy movie. Lighthearted without being fluff.

What I would really love NOT to see is the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and/or Deadpool migrating into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Your thoughts? 

--
*She-Hulk was breaking the fourth wall long before Deadpool started doing it, of course.

All of those would be good, but I think Moon Knight would be a problem. Hard to show the character's basic insanity without going over into Deadpool style shenanigans, but MK is a serious character.

I'd like to see a Namor movie, though we might want to wait while Aquaman is still big. Shang-Chi could provide a different take on the MCU, being basically non-powered but still able to take out superbeings.

I really have one: Adam Warlock. 

But it as things stand, I’m concerned that the character from the film will NOT be faithful to the comics. Recent and past decisions have led me to this, particularly James Gunn’s Guardians films. 

Also, The Eternals May be good, but I’m hedging by bets with that film. 

And Pariah need not worry, at least yet, any Fox property won’t be produced by Marvel Studios for at least a couple of years yet (3 to 4, and likely another 3 on top of that). 

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'd also like to see a Cannonball/Sunspot buddy movie. Lighthearted without being fluff.

What I would really love NOT to see is the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and/or Deadpool migrating into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Your thoughts? 

Both Cannonball and Sunspot have strong associations with the X-Men. Which asks the question, are you for or against mutants in the MCU? :winkgrin:

7 hours ago, Sundog said:

All of those would be good, but I think Moon Knight would be a problem. Hard to show the character's basic insanity without going over into Deadpool style shenanigans, but MK is a serious character.

Moon Knight would definitely be a challenge. Iron Man 3 and Jessica Jones both dealt with post-traumatic stress disorder, so the idea of a comic book character struggling with mental illness is not entirely unprecedented.

It would be awesome to see a movie that still had all the requisite action scenes of Moon Knight, but dealt with Marc Spector and his multiple personalities like something in the vein of A Beautiful Mind. Challenging, but with the right writing and directing team, I think it could be done.

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

I really have one: Adam Warlock.  

An Adam Warlock movie as part of the overall Thanks arc would have been fantastic. Without his major adversary, though, I don't know how interesting an Adam Warlock film would be.

I want to see the Fantastic Four mainly because it feels like the MCU has a hole in it without Reed Richards. Especially if we are no longer going to have the original Iron Man around to be the tech geek. Maybe I don't even need a full FF movie and just need Reed Richards doing cameos in other movies like a high tech Stan Lee. I want unstable molecules around for costuming purposes for the heroes who have powers which are problematic for costuming (Ms. Marvel, anyone who turns to lava or fire). And I want Spider-Man or whoever is going to be doing superhero movies set in NYC to mutter to themselves "maybe I should try to move this fight over closer to the Baxter Building and hope the FF comes out to help me".

I'd like to see a three movie Power Pack set. You pretty much would have to shoot all the movies at once because most of the characters are young enough that waiting three years between movies would move them out of being young kids. But more seriously, I don't see Marvel going for a Power Pack movie before phase 32 of their plans.

I'd like to see Alpha Flight. But I don't think they could make a decent Vindicator costume without allowing some major tech upgrades in the MCU (look at how clunky the Falcon's wings are compared to even the wings the Falcon has when he was first introduced in the comics). I really hated the choice of villains throughout all the Alpha Flight series. But I thought the main characters for the most part are interesting.

I want a Wonder Man/Simon Williams origin story arc. I honestly don't know if they could do it in the Avengers movies at this point since that seems to be their chosen "over-arching plot" franchise. But if they do a Champions or Defenders or New Warriors?

A Hercules buddy movie, perhaps similar to what they did with Hercules and the Recorder where Hercules just gets bored with Olympus and finds a traveling companion for an adventure. Lots of drinking. Hercules going out looking for a fight and in general finding the most interesting places to be and sticking his nose in wherever it doesn't belong.

I want the Watcher, the Stranger, Galactus, the Living Tribunal, Eternity, Death, Master Order, Lord Chaos and all of the other "abstract" entities of the Marvel comics universe to be eventually introduced into the MCU. (The Celestials will likely come into awareness with the Eternals movie.)  I specifically don't want the MCU to have to gimp itself like in did in the current Thanos storyline where Thanos has to come across as someone who is "concerned about over-population and only wants to help out" rather than an absolutely ruthless bloodthirsty warlord because the MCU hasn't introduced the character of Death for Thanos to be infatuated with. Or continue gimping themselves with the really lame versions of the Elders they've shown so far (the Collector, Gamemaster). Eventually they plan on having Adam Warlock appear and I'd much rather him be working in a universe which has a little more depth to it: with awesomely powerful beings who have their own agendas and who aren't portrayed as just another humanoid space alien (or even portrayed as "just another humanoid space alien who happens to have a couple of superpowers").

I loved the early run of Thunderbolts. I think you could make an excellent movie about a group of third-tier villains who try to become superheroes as a scam, then -- some of them, at least -- find they are better at being heroes than villains. And like it.

Avengers: Endgame might even leave the situations that made the Thunderbolts think of the scam: A lot of the world's leading heroes have vanished. Who shall take their place? (Yeah, I haven't seen A:E yet, and won't until my local library gets the DVD. Movie theaters hit my price point years ago.)

Dean Shomshak

Thumderbolts could work.  There is already characters for it with Ghost and Goliath in Ant Man & the Wasp.  Zemo is there too.

Moon Knight would make a better Disney Plus series.

Shang Chi is in the works right now.

I'd love Kamala Khan, Ms. Marvel.  

Hercules

She-Hulk

Funny thing. The closer Aquaman is to Namor, the better he does. Just saying.

I'm not holding out much hope for this, but since we've got Monica Rambeau now, I want to see her in her best story. 

You know what I'm talking about. Your underwear is itchy, and people taste like popcorn shrimp. Broccoli men are out to get you. You want to fight mini-MODOKs. You do. Nextwave: Agents of HATE has to be a Marvel movie. 

Aaron Stack.png

To be honest, most of the stories I would want to see have already been... deprecated.

It would have been nice to see Captain Mar-vell go all the way through the nega-bands stuff.

I would have preferred to see Henry Pym and Janet Van Dyne as Ant-Man and Wasp.

Although there MIGHT be a chance for The Defenders, it would have to happen after Namor got his movie.

IF they're really going to address a certain aspect of Endgame

"What happened in the five years we were gone?" 

"Natasha kept most of the records, one we didn't have time for she seemed to think was a bigger deal. Small Country called Latveria has a new strong man, took over during the 5 year period, revolutionized the place in a way that would do Stark proud. A doctor.. Von Doom? Yeah if you can believe that. Me? I think he's pretty small potatoes"

I would like a Fantastic Four Movie very much thank you. But I admit, they'll need to slap "From the makers of Endgame" etc all over it and get GOOD Writers directors on it.