Resource Pool

Brian Stanfield

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Perks tab - Resource Points

Got it.

Is there a way to make this into a List in order to do an accounting of the points? All I can think of right now is to create the Resource Pool (for example, 10 point pool for Contacts) and add a custom adder of -10 to balance out the cost of 10 points worth of the Contacts added into a separate "Contact Pool" list. Is there a better way to do this?

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Assigning of Resource Points to items is not a character creation issue -- that occurs and changes at game-time.

Good point. I was thinking in terms of generating an actual list of contacts available before each game session for beginning players who aren't familiar with the rules. I'll probably do what you say, and just write them out by hand each session.

5 hours ago, Steve said:

I set up sections on the Equipment tab for things like Contacts, since Resource Point-bought Contacts are not actually part of the main sheet's accounting.

I settled on just generating a list of contacts, and then adding custom adders to reduce their cost to zero. Good enough for me!

• 4 weeks later...

I use the equipment tab for Resource Pools, and the Perks tab to track the cost of them.

Works very well, but I have to manage the point costs in the pools myself. I use the notes of each ability to help me do this...like "Real Cost: 4". I do wish there were a built in option to track it automatically, but it's not that big of a deal. 

You can see this in action on my Here There Be Monster and Metacyber characters, campaigns in which I use Resource Pools. 

Attached is a character from the currennt HtbM campaign, Drew. He has a Psychic Pool (campaign specific), an Equipment Pool, and Contacts Pool. You'll want the HtbM campaign rules in your CampaignRules subfolder to fully see the character in Hero Designer...you may have to re-apply it to the character (Current Character -> Load Campaign Rules)...or just look at the raw hdc file in a text editor if you don't want to fuss around with Campaign Rules for some reason.

image.png.81b045a1ca4bca08c44cf18eb5f4f159.png

image.png

HereThereBeMonsters.hdr DrewAltman_155_ks.hdc

Yes, there's config options for currency symbol and # of decimal places on one of the campaign rule tabs. I have a clear memory of seeing it before. Not yet had  a reason to change the defaults.

I'll play with that later tonight; overloading the cost field would be better than having to rely on Notes, for my purposes.

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, Durzan Malakim said:

Repurposing the Cost field makes it much easier to verify that you're staying within the Resource Pool budget.

Thank for the heads up about the Campaign Setting. Cognitive dissonance, I banish thee!

Equipment-Cost-Campaign-Settings.png

Durzan, how do I repurpose the Cost Field to show the Real Cost instead of a $ sign?