Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dkap

Legion of Doom

Recommended Posts

A CU Legion of Doom?

 

I think a pretty scary one could be put together pretty quickly by using some of the Master Villains like the following:

 

Baron Nihil

Gravitar

Interface

Invictus

Joseph Otanga

Menton

The Shadow Queen

The Warlord

Doctor Yin Wu

 

I think they could be willing to set aside their egos long enough to work together, if they saw the benefits of being a team. I could even see some of them having a more cordial relationship with each other, such as The Shadow Queen and Invictus or Gravitar and Menton.

 

I left out those with Megalomania or Casual Killer psychs. I just don't see them working very well with others.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 2:58 PM, Steve said:

A CU Legion of Doom?

 

I think a pretty scary one could be put together pretty quickly by using some of the Master Villains like the following:

 

Baron Nihil

Gravitar

Interface

Invictus

Joseph Otanga

Menton

The Shadow Queen

The Warlord

Doctor Yin Wu

 

I think they could be willing to set aside their egos long enough to work together, if they saw the benefits of being a team. I could even see some of them having a more cordial relationship with each other, such as The Shadow Queen and Invictus or Gravitar and Menton.

 

I left out those with Megalomania or Casual Killer psychs. I just don't see them working very well with others.

 

 

 

I can't see Menton joining up.  He seems to be insufferably arrogant to a degree that none those "egos" would put up with him.  I have a hard time seeing Menton being convinced that he would need to be among "equals."  He would insist on treating them more like the "help"; kinda like he was when he was dealing with PSI before his incarceration.  Dude is a control freak!

 

Ah, isn't Baron Nihil a Nazi and Joseph Otanga an African.  Unless I have seriously misunderstood what it means to be a Nazi, there might be issues.

 

Doctor Yin Wu is a luddite in the extreme.  Dude has a Psychological Complication (Common, Strong) for his hatred of technology.  He would probably have a hard time working with Warlord and Interface.  There's also that despising Westerner's thing.

 

It would be fun to watch the fireworks in that group.  I think instead of fighting them, the good guys should grab some popcorn and coke and watch the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zephrosyne said:

 

I can't see Menton joining up.  He seems to be insufferably arrogant to a degree that none those "egos" would put up with him.  I have a hard time seeing Menton being convinced that he would need to be among "equals."  He would insist on treating them more like the "help"; kinda like he was when he was dealing with PSI before his incarceration.  Dude is a control freak!

 

Ah, isn't Baron Nihil a Nazi and Joseph Otanga an African.  Unless I have seriously misunderstood what it means to be a Nazi, there might be issues.

 

Doctor Yin Wu is a luddite in the extreme.  Dude has a Psychological Complication (Common, Strong) for his hatred of technology.  He would probably have a hard time working with Warlord and Interface.  There's also that despising Westerner's thing.

 

It would be fun to watch the fireworks in that group.  I think instead of fighting them, the good guys should grab some popcorn and coke and watch the show. 

I think master villains might not be the way to go,To much ego and after Luther,Braniac,Sinestro and Grodd most of them are 2nd tier villains,Plus you need that one villain who not only leads but keeps the others in line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Menton would almost certainly attempt to mentally control some or all of his "colleagues," and few of the villains listed above have enough mental resources to resist him. No other master villain would join him out of fear of being taken over. However, in the past I did propose such an alliance being formed by Menton, which you can read about here: Birth of RAVEN. But that would require Menton, and most other Champions master villains, to be played as more sane and balanced than they're usually described.

 

Out of official Champions Universe canon, the likeliest person to form such a group would be Holocaust. Per his history in Champions Villains Volume One he often hires mercenary supervillains to help him with various schemes, since he lacks a steady support organization. In fact, "In 2006 Holocaust briefly put together a team of villains he called “the Alliance” to fight the Champions. Members included Ankylosaur, the Basilisk, Esper, Fenris, Frag, Freakshow, Leviathan, Lodestone, Ogre, Riptide, Tesseract, and Thunderbolt II. Their scheme didn’t work out, but he remains on good terms with all of them." (CV 1 p. 49) Other villains he's described as working with in the past, and continues to cooperate with, include Cybermind, Gargantua, Gravitar, Kinematik, Mechassassin, the Steel Commando, and Stormfront, as well as the villain teams, the Crimelords and the Ultimates.

 

(Although honestly, with his Personality description emphasizing his arrogance, thin skin, quick temper, lack of restraint, and penchant for killing people who so much as annoy him, I'm amazed so many villains are willing to work for him again. Maybe he particularly respects other powerful people.)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

in the past I did propose such an alliance being formed by Menton, which you can read about here: Birth of RAVEN.

 

 

You, Sir, are a talented and clever man, and I wanted to take a minute to say, out loud, that even if you never do write an actual sourcebook, your presence here makes this board a wonderful and inspiring place to hang out and think.

 

Thank you, Sir.

 

 

Duke

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zephrosyne said:

 

I can't see Menton joining up.  He seems to be insufferably arrogant to a degree that none those "egos" would put up with him.  I have a hard time seeing Menton being convinced that he would need to be among "equals."  He would insist on treating them more like the "help"; kinda like he was when he was dealing with PSI before his incarceration.  Dude is a control freak!

 

Ah, isn't Baron Nihil a Nazi and Joseph Otanga an African.  Unless I have seriously misunderstood what it means to be a Nazi, there might be issues.

 

Doctor Yin Wu is a luddite in the extreme.  Dude has a Psychological Complication (Common, Strong) for his hatred of technology.  He would probably have a hard time working with Warlord and Interface.  There's also that despising Westerner's thing.

 

It would be fun to watch the fireworks in that group.  I think instead of fighting them, the good guys should grab some popcorn and coke and watch the show. 

 

Yeah, that's what I get for doing a quick survey to get a post done. I went through them based on powersets and psychs, weeding out those who were casual killers and megalomaniacs. Putting an African in with an Nazi won't work, and I agree that Doctor Yin Wu is a mistake on my part, but I felt a sorcerer sort was needed.

 

I was picturing Menton as the Lex Luthor of the group. As long as you follow his lead, everything would be fine. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally, a Legion of Doom should be formed from opponents of a particular superhero team. Or opponents of the individual members of the team, if they also operate as individuals.

 

That gives the Legion a bit more reason to work together, and makes them more interesting than a random collection of villains, IMHO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Legion of Doom from the Challenge of the Superfriends TV show had villains of wildly varying power levels(and many of them were nerfed to make them less powerful). That said...you could use almost any villain from the CU as long as they can work with others on a semi regular basis:

 

If you're looking for close analogs...

 

Luther: Holocaust, Doctor Destroyer or Professor Muerte(I think the latter is the best choice).

Brainiac: Interface

Bizarro:  Viperia 

Captain Cold: Frost or Icicle

Solomon Grundy: Ogre (or perhaps Deadman Walkin' if you want to keep the undead theme)

Cheetah: Pantera

Riddler: Any of the bad guys from Dark Champions: The Animated Series would do. I'd probably pick Penny Dreadful.

Scarecrow: Freakshow

Gorilla Grodd: Ape X(or an evil Dr. Silverback if you want a more scientifically oriented bad guy)

Giganta: Gargantua

Sinestro: Galaxia

Toyman: Black Harlequin

Black Manta: Mantara is a close fit, but you could also use just about any aquatic themed villain that suits your fancy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve said:

 

Putting an African in with an Nazi won't work,

 

Eh, don't be too sure about that. IIRC the Nazis were willing to declare the Japanese were honorary Aryans. They were... intellectually flexible that way. (It's easier when your ideology is nonsense to begin with.) So Baron Nihil might be willing to work with Joseph Otanga on a strictly business basis, for the moment. Otanga is an African, but he's an African with power and the right sort of homicidally ruthless attitude. Maybe there's some Aryan blood up the family tree. Or maybe his transformation to superbeing made him Aryan, and -- him being a shapeshifter and all -- some day he'll see the light and assume his new, true form as a blonde white man! (Which is not within Otanga's power set but, well, Nazi crazin ess.)

 

The situation would certainly be unstable, though.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve said:

 

Putting an African in with an Nazi won't work,

 

Eh, don't be too sure about that. IIRC the Nazis were willing to declare the Japanese were honorary Aryans. They were... intellectually flexible that way. (It's easier when your ideology is nonsense to begin with.) So Baron Nihil might be willing to work with Joseph Otanga on a strictly business basis, for the moment. Otanga is an African, but he's an African with power and the right sort of homicidally ruthless attitude. Maybe there's some Aryan blood up the family tree. Or maybe his transformation to superbeing made him Aryan, and -- him being a shapeshifter and all -- some day he'll see the light and assume his new, true form as a blonde white man! (Which is not within Otanga's power set but, well, Nazi crazin ess.)

 

The situation would certainly be unstable, though.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Menton would almost certainly attempt to mentally control some or all of his "colleagues," and few of the villains listed above have enough mental resources to resist him. No other master villain would join him out of fear of being taken over. However, in the past I did propose such an alliance being formed by Menton, which you can read about here: Birth of RAVEN. But that would require Menton, and most other Champions master villains, to be played as more sane and balanced than they're usually described.

 

Out of official Champions Universe canon, the likeliest person to form such a group would be Holocaust. Per his history in Champions Villains Volume One he often hires mercenary supervillains to help him with various schemes, since he lacks a steady support organization. In fact, "In 2006 Holocaust briefly put together a team of villains he called “the Alliance” to fight the Champions. Members included Ankylosaur, the Basilisk, Esper, Fenris, Frag, Freakshow, Leviathan, Lodestone, Ogre, Riptide, Tesseract, and Thunderbolt II. Their scheme didn’t work out, but he remains on good terms with all of them." (CV 1 p. 49) Other villains he's described as working with in the past, and continues to cooperate with, include Cybermind, Gargantua, Gravitar, Kinematik, Mechassassin, the Steel Commando, and Stormfront, as well as the villain teams, the Crimelords and the Ultimates.

 

(Although honestly, with his Personality description emphasizing his arrogance, thin skin, quick temper, lack of restraint, and penchant for killing people who so much as annoy him, I'm amazed so many villains are willing to work for him again. Maybe he particularly respects other powerful people.)
 

I just finished reading Birth of Raven and i seen a lot of Super Villain teams but that team sent a shiver down my spine and i thank you as i am going to use them in my setting.Nicely written and again thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...