Blast from the past part. 1

Scott Ruggels

Vortex - dodgy costume, but I couldn't do better.

Some multipower abuse! Skills in MP. Hmm...

Still, pretty sweet.

The high DEX, low SPD combination is nice. It was one of my favourite tricks. I don't think I ever when quite as far as this in a finished build though. I definitely considered it, but would hold out for 5 SPD.

Enforcer - the art is interesting. A mix of good - fine insignia work - and terrible.

The power set is obviously a mess. I suspect, in practice, a lot of the points in the MP would need to be allocated pretty consistently to the same things, leaving depressingly little to switch around. On the other hand, being able to specialize radically out of combat would be nice.

I've been looking through my old stuff. I've got nothing with artwork, and most of my characters are incomplete design fragments. The earliest stuff I have in a relatively decent form is 3rd edition, even though I've been playing since 1st.

A lot of the problem is that I tended to use scrap computer printer paper more than proper notebooks beyond a certain point in time, and I ditched most of the former at various points along the way.

On the other hand, the fragments show that my modern day characters have distinct resemblances to the characters I was building back in the 80s. Yes, even my 6e characters are basically 3e characters in drag, and could easily be 1e or 2e ones.

Thank you, thank you. That industrial design class instilled into me, a fascination with shiny metallic surfaces and how to portray them. That class was heavy on technique. So the results came out nice, but again the character was nothing special. I used the same skill, but a straight industrial marker technique for this character, who was another “play once and the file away build. 

A7iRQla.jpg

tTcY5ci.jpg

6 hours ago, assault said:

The Apparition is nice. Obviously a Vision homage. Perfectly serviceable art.

I don't suppose you have the "attached sheets"?

Looking at it, I can guess Density Increase and Desolidification, but I'm not sure what else.

I do indeed have the additional sheets - I remember seeing them there - it was indeed DI and Desolid.  Complicated stuff.  🙂 We were at the point of seriously playing around with the system...

5 hours ago, assault said:

Vortex - dodgy costume, but I couldn't do better.

Some multipower abuse! Skills in MP. Hmm...

Still, pretty sweet.

The high DEX, low SPD combination is nice. It was one of my favourite tricks. I don't think I ever when quite as far as this in a finished build though. I definitely considered it, but would hold out for 5 SPD.

My friend had been playing a martial artist quite heavily for a few years and wanted to try something completely different.  As far as a dodgy costume goes - we have one friend who was not only art challenged but colour challenged.  It is a truly awful character costume - we still talk about how awful.  It still lurks within the character folder....  🙂

Enforcer - the art is interesting. A mix of good - fine insignia work - and terrible.

The power set is obviously a mess. I suspect, in practice, a lot of the points in the MP would need to be allocated pretty consistently to the same things, leaving depressingly little to switch around. On the other hand, being able to specialize radically out of combat would be nice.

To my memory, I had a few standard configurations that were designed for particular situations. The background was that he was one of a fleet of android police that flew around the galaxy imposing order.  They had to be completely adaptable to do their job.  I remember him calling out the name of a form and using that until going to another one.  He rarely changed too much in the course of a combat but that ability to completely change from a fully tooled out Energy Blaster to a Brick in the blink of an eye was strangely effective (even if he was a second string EB and a second string brick).

I've been looking through my old stuff. I've got nothing with artwork, and most of my characters are incomplete design fragments. The earliest stuff I have in a relatively decent form is 3rd edition, even though I've been playing since 1st.

A lot of the problem is that I tended to use scrap computer printer paper more than proper notebooks beyond a certain point in time, and I ditched most of the former at various points along the way.

On the other hand, the fragments show that my modern day characters have distinct resemblances to the characters I was building back in the 80s. Yes, even my 6e characters are basically 3e characters in drag, and could easily be 1e or 2e ones.

I have a surprising number of actual sheets, I have a lot more records/copies of powersets on sheets of paper (the player obviously had the paper record).  I am amazed at how many of them I managed to preserve....

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

My friend had been playing a martial artist quite heavily for a few years and wanted to try something completely different.  As far as a dodgy costume goes - we have one friend who was not only art challenged but colour challenged.  It is a truly awful character costume - we still talk about how awful.  It still lurks within the character folder....  🙂

Well, you know what to do...

15 hours ago, assault said:

The Apparition is nice. Obviously a Vision homage. Perfectly serviceable art.

I don't suppose you have the "attached sheets"?

Looking at it, I can guess Density Increase and Desolidification, but I'm not sure what else.

Well, I found three sheets that went along with the Apparition.  We put a lot of effort into this kind of thing - obviously time rich...

Apparition - II.jpg

Apparition - III.jpg

Apparition - IV.jpg

9 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

To my memory, I had a few standard configurations that were designed for particular situations. The background was that he was one of a fleet of android police that flew around the galaxy imposing order.  They had to be completely adaptable to do their job.  I remember him calling out the name of a form and using that until going to another one.  He rarely changed too much in the course of a combat but that ability to completely change from a fully tooled out Energy Blaster to a Brick in the blink of an eye was strangely effective (even if he was a second string EB and a second string brick).

When finding the sheets for Apparition I saw there were additional sheets for Enforcer too...

Enforcer - II.jpg

Enforcer - III.jpg

8 hours ago, assault said:

Well, you know what to do...

Hmm.  There are sensitive souls for whom such awful design decisions might cause real distress - I find I have no idea how to spoiler the image though...the problem is that the character is not even interesting enough to partially compensate...

EDIT - worked it out....

Protector.jpg

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

So, instead of a cleavage window, she has a belly-button window?

The spilled Red Pop actually enhances the look...

We thought the fact he took the opportunity to draw the belly button was strange and we were split on the effect of the red cola splash....

Adding to this, Let us go back to the beginning, The REAL beginning. Back in 1981, Pacific Origins was hosted at Dundracon  that year, in San Mateo California, just up the road from me in San Mateo at the Dunfey Hotel, a more perfect venue for a gaming convention there never was or has been since. The Dunfey classic hotels were built to resemble medieval castles and their theme was light, but present. I had been going to this con since 1979, mostly to play Mustangs & Messerschmitts,  and some  Naval miniatures (WW2), and maybe some D&D. I went with a few friends, and this would be the last long weekend before school resumed the following Tuesday.  So while my friend Lou went off to play a star trek space miniatures game, Bob, Dave, and I were cruising the halls, of the on and poked our heads in a room. I am not clear on how we were enticed to sit down, but  Bob, Dave and I sat at the table with Steve Petersen and Bruce Harlick as his assistant and we were handed character sheets.  The one above was the one I picked.

So here is how it all looked way back in 1981, in San Mateo, California, in a Hotel serving  SFO Airport, where Champions was first introduced to the public.

KBATn4b.jpg

The cover.

SUV8soO.jpg

The first Advertisement.

rYJuoa1.jpg

uw9pdZi.jpg

And these are how the game listings looked.  But it was after that, every weekend we plumbed the depths of the system and churned out a massive number of characters. And the rest, they say, is History.

Interesting that the Champions games are listed as HERO.

I'd love to know more about the actual scenarios.

'How mighty are the fallen'.

'Return of the Over-Lord'.

'Prometheus Bound'.

'The Destroyer Cometh'. (!)

'Kill Day'.

They all sound awesome.