Killer Shrike

8 hours ago, Killer Shrike said:

So, bad news, my biz trip to Toronto got extended; I'm leaving a day early and coming back a day later. So, I'm flying out Saturday 7/13 (the day we would be gaming). I'm pretty bummed about it, but can't be avoided.

Hopefully you guys can coordinate some other gaming related activity. See ya'll when I get back. 

I'm sure we'll figure something out. Thanks for giving us advance notice. We'll see you in three weeks. ;) 

When we start new arcs, I'll add a section to the campaign page with the characters as they are when the arc starts.

We'll continue to use this club on these forums for ongoing management...and changes that occur within an arc...it is significantly more convenient.

It's nice having our character sheets online so we can always call one up if we need to.

I forget, but are we allowed to spend XP mid-fight? I'd guess no, but thought I'd ask. In your ample free time (insert laugh tracks sound effects here), can you reconcile my 159 point Murgatroyd with yours? I'd like to have the most current version available by the next time we play.

10 hours ago, Durzan Malakim said:

It's nice having our character sheets online so we can always call one up if we need to.

Each version of the character is online, and can be called up. I post links to them here on the forums. All of the later posts where you see a picture of your character, if you click the picture it will take you to the version of the character that was "active" in the time frame.

For instance; click Murgy's face (don't worry, he's into getting his face clicked )

Murgatroyd_t.jpg

I forget, but are we allowed to spend XP mid-fight? I'd guess no, but thought I'd ask. In your ample free time (insert laugh tracks sound effects here),

can you reconcile my 159 point Murgatroyd with yours? I'd like to have the most current version available by the next time we play.

I wont have time to do it this week, but it will be available before the next time we play.

Everywhere we go, we make new immortal evil enemies. I think our new group tagline should be, "If we can kill it, it wasn't really immortal." Or perhaps, "We find the 'I'm mortal' lurking inside every immortal."

Assuming we survive this arc, I suspect our group will earn itself an official or unofficial name such as "Suicide Squad" or "The Dirty Dozen." Anyone have any suggestions for what our name should be? Let's not leave it up to other Hunters to give us a lame name like, "The Motley Crew" or "Harker's Hubris."

7 hours ago, Durzan Malakim said:

Everywhere we go, we make new immortal evil enemies. I think our new group tagline should be, "If we can kill it, it wasn't really immortal." Or perhaps, "We find the 'I'm mortal' lurking inside every immortal."

Assuming we survive this arc, I suspect our group will earn itself an official or unofficial name such as "Suicide Squad" or "The Dirty Dozen." Anyone have any suggestions for what our name should be? Let's not leave it up to other Hunters to give us a lame name like, "The Motley Crew" or "Harker's Hubris."

I could see "The Serious Six" since most of us are pretty grim sorts, except for the nigh-indestructible teen. If Murgatroyd keeps earning MVP, maybe "Murgatroyd And His Deadly Friends" could work. 

"Oh please don't let us be Murg and the Troyds. Oh please don't let us be Murg and the Troyds. Oh please..."

There are several interesting possibilities involving "Six":

• The Serious Six
  • The Surviving Six
  • The Quick Six

Taking some letters from our names doesn't produce any phrases that particularly grab me, but there may be better combinations:

• BaD JaM JoK
  • DJ Jo KiBaM
  • Dr Jo JaM BaK
  • BaJa Jo MurDr Kil
  • Jo BaD MuJaK
  • BJ JaM KiDr 

Ok, I've got some adminstrata to do to transition the campaign into Arc 4, and also write up last nights session to close out Arc 3: A Trick Of The Night (for now). But in the meantime, @Scything was eager to advance Joey, and he's even more beastly than before. @WilyQ verbally told me what he wants and Drew is bringing his A-game. @King Red is good to go; Killroy is deadlier than ever. @Steve is all in; Baretta is taking aim at whatever enemies the future might bring. @Durzan Malakim has immanentized the next stage of apotheosis; Murgatroyd is more potent and also scowlier than ever. @L0rd_Magg0t is locked in and Jack is back.

BarettaColtProfile_t.jpgKillroyIntense_t.jpgMuragtroydScowl_t.jpgJoeyManegarmBloody_t.jpgDrewTactical_t.jpgJackMaywood_aiming_th.jpg

(CLICK THE PICS)

The important detail for everyone is the following: all the survivors of the Trick Of The Night have gained a shiny new 20 point Hunted:

Hunted: L'Éminence Nocturne Infrequently (Mo Pow; Covert; Kill); 20 points

Each character's complication limit has been raised by 20 points and the commensurate number of character points are added to their available xp.

However, some of those points are spent on your behalf; Joey, Drew, Killroy, and Murgatroyd each have +2 points of the Wealth Perk applied representing a combination of their Cthonic and Vampire bounties. Baretta and Jack have +1 point of the Wealth Perk representing their Vampire bounties.

All six characters have a 1 point Favor: SAIC Harker; you get to call in that favor exactly once, so don't waste it. 

All six characters gain a 1 point Positive Reputation (alternately if any of the characters already have a similar rep I'll bump their existing rep by one point): 

Positive Reputation: Capable Monster Hunter (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6

All six characters have the option (player's choice) to get upgraded to an FBI: Section M Consultant / Special Asset; this is a +1 point upgrade of your Licensed Monster Hunter perks. Each of you should let me know if you want to take the opportunity to become a Special Asset or not...if you don't that 1 point is available to be spent on something else as you see fit.

FBI Special Asset: This is an upgraded version of a Supernatural Hunter License granted to certain Hunters or "special talents" in the US who have higher status and a closer relationship with FBI's Section M. This level grants limited access to federal facilities in general and Section M facilities in particular, and limited access to Section M resources. However, in return, the Special Asset will be called upon to assist Section M at the FBI's discretion.

Ill be going through each character in turn over the next few days and will tally up the available points for each and post them here.

I'm looking forward to the next arc. I do ask that when deciding what to level up on your PC's you reflect on the idea that the next arc will be more of a 50/50 split between [investigation & roleplaying] / combat so I encourage people to spend at least some of their points on other-than-combat abilities.

Awesome. Joey is going to start taking his career as a monster hunter seriously. I took a proficiency with KS: Supernatural Lore to show Joey studying what's out there and getting smart on how to function in the strange reality of hidden things. I'm also continuing to slowly buy off some of his "Only at night" limited abilities so that he isn't a weak link during the day. I hope the group agrees with the direction I'm going 👍.  

I'll mention this again in-game and in-character, but Murgatroyd will mention to each of his fellow hunters that it is a matter of when, not if, L'Éminence Nocturne will attack us supernaturally. As the arcane expert of the group, Murgatroyd will recommend either cohabiting in a warded home or having him come out regularly to ward where you live. It's time I start using these Lore skill to protect us.

In preparation for the next session, I implore you all to start thinking about the following:

• I'll be narratively ushering the PC's who chose to become Section M consultants (EDIT: which is everybody) out of the LA area to the Section M training facility at Quantico for a week of in game time immediately following the events of the last couple of sessions...for onboarding and orientation.
    • Your bounty payouts will be expedited while you are in Quantico in recognition of your crew stepping up and doing Section M a couple of 'solids'. The Hunters will have their wealth bumps in pocket by the time the 1 week of orientation has concluded if that has any impact on your down time activities.
  • After that, control passes back to you the players and you can decide to do whatever you individually want to do during "down time" and I'll react to it on the fly. 
    • This might be 100% narrative, or it might fork off into one or more encounters, depending on what you guys initiate. 
    • If you already have a feel for what you want your PC to be doing during this time, or an interesting character focused scene you want to interject, feel free to shape those thoughts and send them to me via a private message so I can prepare something in advance.
  • I intend to let 4-8 weeks of game time unspool in this fashion before kicking off the action of Arc 4, depending on what makes sense given whatever you the players want your PC's to be doing. 
  • As @Durzan Malakim astutely points out, you all have a powerful enemy who wants you dead or worse. Also consider that in addition to the obvious vampiric threat vector, your enemy also likes to use normal minions, and also possesses vast resources to hire other types of threats as well.
    • It would be a mistake to ignore this threat
    • It would also be a mistake to get all super paranoid, turtle up, and refuse to go out or do anything, and shut the game down through analysis paralysis and FUD.
    • Try to find some Goldilocks zone between blithe lack of concern on the one end and taking yourself completely off the grid to live on an undisclosed mountain top in Tibet ringed by an impenetrable defensive perimeter on the other end.
      • Ask yourselves what would make a good episode of TV or a movie sequel? A bunch of scaredy cats hiding and not doing stuff, or bold men & women of action taking sensible precautions and then getting on with being awesome?

Looking forward to the next session. 

@L0rd_Magg0t @King Red @Steve @Scything @WilyQ