Combining Powers

Uthanar

Getting back to Hero after a few years of not really having a group for it. 

Where should I look for the rules of combining Power activation with just Punching someone?  

Like if a person has a No Range Flash, and they want to use a Martial Maneuver while they activate that.  

Thanks much for any reference on that.   

In 6e, the term used is "Combined Attack", and appears on v2 p 74, in discussing Multiple Attacks.  Using two or more powers or similar abilities is not a multiple attack, just a type of Strike.  That technically means you cannot use a Martial Strike and a 0 range Flash as you are using a Strike and a Martial Strike, two different combat maneuvers.  Probably reasonable, as it prevents getting the OCV and DCV modfiers for the Martial Strike with the Flash attack as well, although I'd consider allowing the player to just pay 1 point for Weapon Element: Flash adding to his Martial Arts.

My last character did this sort of thing, and she wasn't over powered.  She would use her martial ability to do a touch attack to administer a Drain attack.  I did have a bunch of limitations on the touch attack to equalize it (such as it was only effective against living beings). 

Good luck!

Combined Attacks can absolutely use Martial Strike + Flash; page 74 states "any two types of attack without restrictions" - the only exception is defensive maneuvers (block, dodge, dive for cover, etc) cannot be used.

You gain the worst CV bonuses for Multiple Attacks for each attack in a Multiple Attack, and I'm pretty sure in a Combined Attack (versus a single target) each attack uses it's own CV adjustments (I forgot to double check that when looking up what can be combined).

Are we looking at the same page 74 (6e v2)?

Using two or more powers or similar abilities(but not Combat/Martial Maneuvers or the like) once against a single target isn’t a Multiple Attack. It’s a Combined Attack, and counts as type of Strike.

Your quote appears to be from the top right column, which discusses Multiple Attacks (full phase action with CV penalties), not Combined Attacks (ordinary attack action requiring a half phase with no CV penalties).

It's unfortunate that Combined Attack is buried in the middle of the Multiple Attack rules instead of having its own standalone entry.

You are correct; however: even Multiple Attacks can combine Maneuvers & Powers against a Single Target: top left, page 73.

Combined Attacks are just Powers Vs One Target, and yes unfortunately placed to sew maximum confusion on how this Maneuver works.

So you can Martial Strike & Flash a Single Target, but it requires a Full Move Action, 1/2 DCV, and uses the worst of all CV Modifiers, and the -X OCV penalty per Attack after the first (-2 in this example).

As noted above, I would allow other powers to be added to martial maneuvers for the "weapon element" price of 1 point.  I don't think allowing the Flash to combine with Martial Strike is any more problematic than allowing it to be combined with a Brick's punch (normal strike).