Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to any and all fathers out there, and to any and all mothers who were called upon to fill that role themselves.

And for those "Baby Daddy" types who made children and ran, never taking the responsibility for what they had done, only to turn around and do it again and again, go die in a dumpster fire.

Wow. Apparently I _can_ run out of love for my fellow man.  Hunh.

At any rate, for all you fathers and father-figures, remember the point of this day:

To exhaust yourselves doing things you really don't want to to humor those who love you, and think that you really do want to.  :lol:   Bear it with dignity, with grace, and with the knowledge that it comes from a good place in their hearts.

As for me, I will be sequestering myself from humanity for the next couple of days, as the kids have decided to cook for me.  That makes more sense when you realize that all they know how to cook is eggs, spam, beans-and-onions, and cabbage, and corn dogs.   And of course, there is this strange assumption every Father's Day that I start my day with eggs, corn dogs, and a breakfast beer....

(if it matters, I start every day the same way: a cup of coffee before a shower, two more cups on the porch watching the sky and the breeze (or the sun rise, if it's summer), and another cup on the way to work.  I just can't wake up and eat, and have never really understood how it is that most folks can.)

At any rate, if you see walking around town, just know that there is something I'm... uh...  "trying to work out," and don't get too close. ;)

Ran up to father-in-law's today with wife and daughter (son had to work today; he said they sold 900 chickens).  This meant we missed the auto accident in the intersection right outside our front yard (which seems to have damaged both vehicles but no important injuries; it happened after my son got back home).

On 6/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, Duke Bushido said:

Happy Father's Day to any and all fathers out there, and to any and all mothers who were called upon to fill that role themselves.

And for those "Baby Daddy" types who made children and ran, never taking the responsibility for what they had done, only to turn around and do it again and again, go die in a dumpster fire.

Love the sentiment, but it takes two irresponsible people to make a single parent.  Whether single father or single mother it required (minus really rare and unfortunate widowing scenarios) one partner to not really vet the other partner.

Blaming only the asshole men who don't stay to raise their kids (and they are assholes) removes moral agency from the women who are responsible for reproducing with the kind of men that won't stay to raise the kids.

Women are neither helpless nor without accountability in these things.  Pick better.  A lot of guys are not qualified for the role of father.

Also, Happy Fathers' Day!

PS:  I received a shirt from my wife and child this year.  Proper gift giving etiquette needs to be reviewed with them - again - as only electronics, video games and mid-life crisis cars are appropriate.

47 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Haha.  Yeah, I think I'll just stick with condemning any parents who refuse their responsibilities.  The omniscient ability to somehow 'vet future assholishness' seems beyond me.

It's really not all that difficult.  You make sure the person is well behaved by not sleeping with them until you know that they have a good track record of good behavior.

How do they get along with their parents?

What are their friends like?

Do they want kids?

How would they raise kids?

What's your job history like?

What's your credit like?

And doesn't the female parent have the responsibility of picking a partner who will stay around?

I don't think you can consider women equal to men (which you should) and not hold them equally accountable in single-parent outcomes.

Sorry, I will not condemn anyone for someone else's (male or female) future cowardice and irresponsibility.  In fact, I find your stance on this so patently ridiculous that its probably best we not continue the discussion.  Sorry for getting involved.

Since Sunday was Father's Day, and Monday was my birthday, we pretty much celebrated both at once (on Saturday, because that''s when both kids were available).  Had a nice dinner at Red Lobster, ice cream afterward, and played a game of Discworld (a board / card game I picked up at GenCon) that I won.  (I don't think they just let me win, but maybe they were being very subtle.) 

On Monday I got Into the Spiderverse as a gift from my youngest, which we watched Tuesday night.  Lots of fun.