Double Damage Reduction

greysword

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you:  Can you purchase damage reduction twice for the same special effect or Focus?

Example - If my character purchases Physical Damage Reduction of 75% then 50%, is this legal?  If so, how would it look?

Would a Blast that does Stun damage of 100 be reduced 1/2 of that to 50 then 75% of that is 12.5 Stun damage?

Thanks!

- Chris

Rules-as-Written, you only apply the highest. 

I remember some sidebar somewhere saying another developer-endorsed option is to sum the AP, so two 50%s make a 75% etc. 

If this came up at my table, I'd be asking why you had two overlapping Damage Reduction powers in the first place and what you hoped to accomplish by having both powers. 

I was in a campaign where 20d6 was considered low in the damage range.  The GM house ruled 7/8 damage reduction costing a whopping 120 for resistant.  Most heroes didn't buy it, as they would rather have 80 resistant instead.

6e1, 184:

If a character has two or more Damage Reduction powers that could apply to the same attack, he can only apply one of them (he chooses which one) — he can’t apply multiple Damage Reductions to keep reducing the damage from a single attack.

Personally, I find that rule to be an excellent compromise. If you for instance have several of these that apply through different foci and the attack has multiple special effects for instance. But generally for DR without limitations I would have some questions if you had more than one on purpose.

- E

I can see a use for it.  Imagine the boss villain with multiple overlapping 50% Damage Reductions, each limited in a way that the team can overcome.  The heroes would have to peel away the various defences so that their attacks are not nickel and dimes to ineffectiveness.

would be a nice mechanic for that purpose.

One of the Advanced Player's Guides has some options for Damage Reduction.  You can buy 100% Damage Reduction, at a high premium(80/120 points) or an alternative is to buy DR in 10% increments for 10/15 points(the latter for resistant reduction), so you could buy, say, 90% reduction for 90/135 points, or 100% for 100/150 points.  

There's also a proposed advantage for attacks, Irreducible, a +3/4 advantage, that would completely negate reduction.  

I believe that if one were to take this option, then the stated def would be the only def that the char possesses.  Also the def is figured separate, so 50%+50%=75%, not 100%.  If the player thinks that I will take 75%+75%, that will become 95%.  This is as close to total invulnerable that HS allows according to RAW.  Think about how much the player spent on just these two powers (even at the 25% NR level).