Champions UK

grandmastergm

Hello,

I think that the UK deserves to have its superheroes and supervillains fleshed out from the Champions 6e book.  Here is a list:

I did manage to find Albion in Golden Age Champions page 211.

New Knights of the Round Table (membership undefined in 6e)

Hyperion

The London Watch (Blazon, Yeoman, Repulse, Swift Swallow)

Nightwatch (Shade, Drune, Rhiannon, Taliesin)

Evergreen

Dreamscape

Cuchullain

Dweomer

and the villains:

Crusher

Thrash

Cat

Clockwork

Black Annis

Lamprey

Stormcloud

Claymore

The Redcap

Fomorians

Steve Long has mentioned repeatedly, ever since DOJ Inc. bought Hero Games, that the company always intended to publish a new source book for the UK. The problem as he defined it was finding a quality writer sufficiently familiar with both the country, and the latest iteration of Hero System -- at least, such a person whose services Hero Games could afford. In the end time ran out for that project, as for so many others. :(

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Plus all the stuff from Kingdom of Champions, there's scores of characters and organizations in that book.

Phil Masters' Kingdom of Champions for Hero 4E is an excellently-written book IMHO, and loaded with useful information. Grandmastergm, if you weren't aware, while the NPCs written up in that book don't exactly match up with your list, a number of them are essentially the same, or could be substituted for with other characters from KoC. Other organizations from the book are similar to what's in the official Sixth Edition CU, or could be integrated into it without much effort. And KoC is available today in PDF form from the Hero Games website store, for a very reasonable price:

Unfortunately, besides the differences in Hero System mechanics between editions (which are far from insurmountable for conversion), since the book was written in the early 1990s the political and social conditions it describes are in some ways woefully out of date. OTOH it includes a wealth of historical and cultural details which are just as applicable today.

Since Kingdom of Champions came out the following occurred. 18 years of Conservative Government followed by 13 years of Labour in power and then 5 years of a coalition between the Conservatives and Liberals which lead to the Liberals almost getting wiped out as a party in 2015 and 4 years of the Conservatives since then. The Scots had an Independence referendum which failed but the Scottish National party took power in Scotland almost wiping out the Labour party.

The Brexit referendum was almost evenly split so Britain is supposed to come out of the European parliament. It has not happened yet.

Sportswise there has been a massive resurgence since 1996 when Britain won only one gold at the Olympics. There has been a steady increase in medals at the games since particularly in cycling and bucking the trend increasing medals after a home games in London in 2012.

The Troubles (the war with the Irish terrorists both Catholic and Protestant)  were brought to an Armistice which has held since the late 90s.

The Royal family experienced highs and lows with the divorce of Prince Charles and Princess Diana followed by her death in an accident, the divorce of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson and the Gold and Diamond Jubilees and the marriages of both Charles sons. 

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Steve Long has mentioned repeatedly, ever since DOJ Inc. bought Hero Games, that the company always intended to publish a new source book for the UK. The problem as he defined it was finding a quality writer sufficiently familiar with both the country, and the latest iteration of Hero System -- at least, such a person whose services Hero Games could afford. In the end time ran out for that project, as for so many others. :(

Phil Masters' Kingdom of Champions for Hero 4E is an excellently-written book IMHO, and loaded with useful information. Grandmastergm, if you weren't aware, while the NPCs written up in that book don't exactly match up with your list, a number of them are essentially the same, or could be substituted for with other characters from KoC. Other organizations from the book are similar to what's in the official Sixth Edition CU, or could be integrated into it without much effort. And KoC is available today in PDF form from the Hero Games website store, for a very reasonable price:

Unfortunately, besides the differences in Hero System mechanics between editions (which are far from insurmountable for conversion), since the book was written in the early 1990s the political and social conditions it describes are in some ways woefully out of date. OTOH it includes a wealth of historical and cultural details which are just as applicable today.

Did you ever make any characters?  Anyone else try to make them?

13 hours ago, death tribble said:

Then of course there is an effective left wing in politics in the country at a local and national level.

On the other side, you would need to explain and contextualize things like the Bullingdon Club, one of the strangest and most British things ever. Even outfits like Skull and Bones at Yale aren't in the same league.

That might be a too detailed like Cheese Rolling.

But you could also look at the Foot Guards https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_guards#British_Army and Household  Cavalry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_Cavalry for costume ideas for characters.

As well as the Beefeaters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeomen_Warders

And the British Bulldog

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Like Batmouse, right there....

"...bravely, Swift Swallow leaps into action!  Using her powers derived from _two_  _different_ _birds_, she....."

The canonical one is a weak speedster with a stolen artifact and mask.  It would be interesting to have her be a British Champions version of Black Canary, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

In the TASK FORCE universe, Union Jack was the equivalent of Captain America, John Bull was a second-generation legacy of the WW2 hero, and Aquarius (4th Ed: The Zodiac Conspiracy) was the son of Richard II of  England.  I also had a "hero" Lionclaw" who was the functional equivalent of Wolverine

On 7/19/2019 at 8:32 PM, segerge said:

In the TASK FORCE universe, Union Jack was the equivalent of Captain America, John Bull was a second-generation legacy of the WW2 hero, and Aquarius (4th Ed: The Zodiac Conspiracy) was the son of Richard II of  England.  I also had a "hero" Lionclaw" who was the functional equivalent of Wolverine

Oooo, I do like Lionclaw.  Do you have any other British heroes or villains?

Lacking my old copy of 4th ed. Kingdom of Champions when I wrote the TASK FORCE story of the same name, I filled in details on some name drops in FRed:Champions Worldwide and News of the World (Rhiannon, Repulse) as members of the New Knights.  Repulse also got a twin sister Renown and a shared origin.

Beyond that, the only other British superhuman I currently have stats on is the current Deputy Minister for Superhuman Affairs, who was once known a millenium and a half ago as "Merlin" and is more of an expy of the Doctor than a true wizard.

21 minutes ago, segerge said:

Beyond that, the only other British superhuman I currently have stats on is the current Deputy Minister for Superhuman Affairs, who was once known a millenium and a half ago as "Merlin" and is more of an expy of the Doctor than a true wizard.

Ah. I'm going to assume the chap from the two theactrical movies (Dr. Who And The Daleks and Daleks Invasion Earth) than the serial number filed off version of the real thing.

Which begs the question: Who's your Doctor? (Mine is Tom.)

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Ah. I'm going to assume the chap from the two theactrical movies (Dr. Who And The Daleks and Daleks Invasion Earth) than the serial number filed off version of the real thing.

Actually, the first time Starforce meets him ("Kingdom of Champions") he inadvertantly blurts out, "Ohmigod, it's the Third Doctor!" before Julie can properly introduce him :D

5 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Which begs the question: Who's your Doctor? (Mine is Tom.)

Depending on my mood, David Tennant or Peter Capaldi.  Before New Who, probably Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee