Immune to dizziness

Tech

How would you build a defense for someone who cannot become dizzy? (Gas can't cause damage defined as dizzines, Drain can't drain Dex defined as dizzy, etc). It feels like the Damage Reduction vs special effect somewhat.

One of the fundamental problems HERO has is that it offers many ways to do things. 

I could build a Dizzy-ray as a Drain DEX.  I could build a Dizzy-field as a Change Environment that forces a DEX roll or you fall.  I could build a Dizzy-ray as a Mind Control resisted by CON with the order "Move Randomly or fall down".  I could build a Dizzy-field as AOE NND (Environmental Movement: Dizzy) Drain DCV. 

Until you know what an attack will be built, you can't know how to build the appropriate defense. 

So ask your GM how they'll build a dizzy effect, then take the appropriate defense once you know the attack. 

6 hours ago, Tech said:

How would you build a defense for someone who cannot become dizzy? (Gas can't cause damage defined as dizzines, Drain can't drain Dex defined as dizzy, etc). It feels like the Damage Reduction vs special effect somewhat.

How many dizzying effects are there going to be in the game?

I'd think the cost would be proportional to the value in game.

Unless there are going to be specific dizzy-creating effects in the game I'd think it would be cheap.

But if the Keystone Kops all use Dizzy Blasters and are going to show often then it might be more.

I'd use Detect: Balance - Sense (5pts) or Environmental Movement (Absolute Balance is 4pts) or even just +X (Only to counter dizziness penalties) which would probably be...4-6pts, eh? Or Safe Environment - Dizzyness for 4-6pts.

Using Damage Negation seems problematic because to become immune to dizziness you'd need to apply the Absolute Effect Rule (right?) and then decide how much Damage Negation would be needed to counter any and all dizziness causing powers.

Just seems more complicated. But surely it would depend on expected occurrence of dizziness in the game.

It would depend on what you believe dizziness is.  If it a matter of stun damage, damage reduction with a limitation is a way to go.  If you think its an effect drains, then power defense is another way.

Just to be fair, as a GM, I have created several villains with a disorienting effect.  For example, one villain drained speed.  The special effect was that your nausea ate up your time of actions.  Another used Flash with the limitation did not stop sensory input.  The effect of the "blindness" was that your sense of balance was so screwed up you couldn't target things nor defend against things, but you could tell who was in front of you and what they were doing in the grossest of terms.  The flash attack would not be stopped by either damage reduction nor the drain.

Absolutes are rough in Hero. I would take a look at my campaign and see what value I would assign to that. Generally, it would not be that high, but I would also look at things like:

1. Does this character or their teammates have a way to induce dizziness?

2. What exactly IS dizziness? Is it the same as vertigo? How about sea sickness? What about nausea more generally?

Off the top of my head I would probably give it something like a 5-10 point value. In my life I have been dizzy more times than I have been oxygen deprived, even spending several months at a time on the ocean. And as mentioned above it would cover a large group of powers but only for a very narrow special effect. I would likely come in around 10 points for modern Champions type settings and 5 for Fantasy Hero type.

- E