World Creation Superdraft 3: July 2019

Concinnant searched, heat source not found. Many might freeze. This could be limiting to production and discouraging of certain crafts.  Beneath and within  the land mass that existed, a network of great caverns and tunnels began to form. Some stretched for hundreds of miles before branching off. Some were small only one wagon at a time might pass through, others were big and spacious enough that small cities might rise there. Thermal activities there became rich, as did their counter balance. While many tunnels were full of flushed in air from the surface, others channeled hot steam or even magma, still others took in cool waters from the vast seas beyond.. it was as if the tunnels were the veins, arteries, and yes lungs of the world above. Life could survive here.... and where the tunnels closed to the surface there might be heat enough to keep the atmosphere from freezing for miles, turning what might have otherwise been arctic into lush temperate zones making life above possible too, even comfortable. Of course, the god of water, the lord of air, might choose to choke off whole sections of it in their own ways, but surely,  Concinnant  surmised, this was a feature not a bug. Besides, there would be enough twists and redundancies that no one act would destroy it entirely.

It was the one place in the Torus one might avoid any light for dozens and dozens of miles. It was a place where the wrong turn might lead one into an area of blasting steam that would boil you standing there, rolling magma that might embed you, or stagnant air might choke you... and yet... as a whole, it blended into a world lush with the potential for life that even humanoids could thrive in if they were wise, if they were canny, if they had the right gifts and the right tools for it was rich in minerals and other resources. And without it, the surface lands would be much more inhospitable.

This was no Hollow Earth, but it was riddled with tunnels to such a magnitude that it earned the name The Riddledark

Geography Pick: The Riddledark

dark_frontier___into_the_fungal_jungle_b

121e98e9ee5fb25cf2ce4d1ec92e3396--fantas

(Hope that fits the 'gee we really could use a heat source' angle while also doubling our space for underground colonies and adventures)

Concinnant  was not the most powerful god, but thanks to his (Its?) craft, swords would rise, gold could be shaped to coins, beautiful works of silver or gold might be about... and the people imagined a ringing of the anvil in his every miracle and bobbed their heads up and down vigorously in prayer services to worship him to mimic the motion they envisioned! While any craft fell under his domain, be it looms or wood carving... some believed that most pleasing to him was the minerals dug up from the earth and fashioned. There could be no doubt, Concinnant was GOD OF METAL! (all  metals)

Secondary Domain: Metals

(This doesn't keep others from Ore picks mind you, just like i HOpe a god of wildlife won't keep us from picking feral criters ;))

Player: Hermit 

God:  Concinnant (G0D of Crafts and Invention)

• Geography. - The Riddledark (Underground Realm and provider of Geo-Thermal heat for World)

• Sentient Life. - Engdweorg (Steampunk Victorian type Dwarves)

• Gift to Civilization. Technology (See Steampunk)

• Ore- Aetherite/Coppersong! (Metal ore that makes music!)

• Interference.   None Yet

• Mythic Monster or Guardian: Not Yet

• Secondary Domain. Metal

• Secondary Domain . Restoration

• Secondary Domain: Not Yet

(For my own record keeping)

(Edited on July  11)

27 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I'll post an update at the weekend for all those taking part

Thank you!  It's at the point where I need to start cross-checking with what others have done before, so populating the lineups in post #2 of the thread will be greatly helpful.

They were overwhelmed and were being exterminated. In fear for their lives they called out for salvation and sanctuary. Olos heard them and threw up mighty storms to hide them from their enemies. Then he spoke to them.

'They will never stop until you are all killed. I will take you in my embrace,. I will change you so that your enemies no longer recognise you and pursue you. Any who do not wish to serve me and live I will kill rather than let you fall to your foes. Decide and decide wisely'

A group of them chose to stay not because they wished to defy Olos but because their enemies needed to be thwarted. Olos then took the remainder away and transformed them into the Skyborne.

Olos slew the rest and left their bodies showing abject fear and then hid all knowledge of what had happened. It is thought that Olos made a deal with Arepo so that the dead could never tell what had happened to them.

The above is what the sage Byros believes is the hidden origin of the Skyborne. They appear as ethereal beings and are not visible under certain weather conditions. They do not have wings and are vaguely humanoid,. And only Olos knows how they procreate and where they live.

Remember we are taking the weekend off.

Those of you who have not made 5 selections yet can catch up.

Those that have are invited to make flavour text. If I like it, then an optional extra selection may be available,.

This applies to anyone who has yet to join in. You may make three selections over the weekend which is your God(dess) name, their primary domain and two other choices,. God name is not mandatory but it helps.

This will help the existing players as they will not lose out by having someone grab something they wanted. The new players can catch up the extra two selections during the next week.

Concinnant often took the form of a tool, though the god was often confused by some of the others gods snickering at the term. And yet, while the Amamaun were an amazing people well suited to their environment but not so much they did not need and want crafts, and the humans took to crafts of all kinds; it was the arrival of the Skyborne that had the god realize that it wanted to try its hand at a little creation of its own sentient species. It recalled something, impressions, memories, or perhaps merely memory storage of a race that existed on other worlds, but did not exist on this one-yet.

Concinnant gathered sturdy materials, changing literal iron into a metaphorical steely spine for good posture let steam soak clay to emulate a bit of spit and polish, a touch of stone around the clay face to give a stiff upper lip... to save material, and because compact seemed prudent, the god fashioned them  shorter than humans, but a bit broader at the shoulders. Working with flesh wasn't so hard... of course, Concinnant soon realized that the relative density might mean these beings weren't the best swimmers but they should be tough. Oh well, one more challenge for them to use crafting and invention to adapt to if need be.

Did they have one eye or two? The God couldn't remember the other world data clearly, there was something about One eyed beings that were good at smithing, oh well, it would alternate, One in a hundred of the beings would be born with just one great central eye instead of two. Both versions could see in the dark, but those with two eyes would likely be better shots; to compensate, thsoe with one eye would be able to view things at a closer magnification.

There , all done.... rather good looking chaps if Conccinnant evaluted himself.

ERROR ERROR, females required! Might need those. Ah, he had run out of facial hair, glad he didn't go through with that plan to turn the beards into tremor detectors.

They would be industrious, adventurous, and yet with a sense of prioritizing among themselves and their tasks needed.

The results were, not exactly what Concinnant expected, perhaps he had over done it. They didn't just prioritize along practical lines, but in manners besetting social stratification with a definite hierarchy for interactions. Everyone belonged to a Guild and you were expected to follow the Guild of either your father and mother who had likely followed the ones who came before them.  The high guilds had more say in Parliament than the lower guilds- until one got all the way up to the Royal Guild made of the ruling family. WHat? It's still republic, just a caste oriented one. They seemed to have an obsession with slurping down hot watery beverages flavored with leaves and seemed to insist on proper etiquette at all times. Oh well, at least they weren't ale swilling, blurt mouthed fellows.

But what to call them? Ah, they would be the Engdweorg!

Quite.

Sentient Life - The Engdweorg! (Fantasy Dwarfs with Victoran English attitudes and customs. One out of a hundred have one eye instead of two, the God kind of threw a little cyclops in there)

98686bf58305e99dc886d6fdb002036f.jpg

Realizing such beings might get into a 'spot of trouble' The God of Invention taught them well.... teaching the Engdweorg how to harness the power of steam (and other lesser forces) for all sorts of amazing contraptions and innovations!  Some of this might leak down to the other sentient races, but none would progress as quickly in technology and general, and certainly not as far in Steampunk engineering!

Gift to Civilization: Technology! (Capped at a psuedo Victorian level)

(The other races may have hydropower , wind power, etc... but really, bunch of savages (Some noble savages to be sure)  playing with fire compared to the Engdweorg eh wot?

"The Sun never sets on the Engdweorgian Empire!"

"We don't have a sun"

"Piffle, doesn't change the truth of my declarative! Now, Patsy, hand me my boomerstick, promptly now."

"Yes, sir!"

*BOOM*

"Cracking good shot, sir."

"Thank you, Patsy, you may clean up."

Here is a quick and dirty guide to who has chosen what so far

With the exception of the person running the draft,. everyone has choices to make. Hermit has put down Steampunk technology in his own aide memoire although he did not actually make a post about it unless you count his sentient life one (which would make his choices complete). 

Death Tribble, Olos, Lord of the Heavens! (Sky)

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Skyborne

• Gift to Civilization: 

• Fauna. Birds

• Interference: 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. 

• Secondary Domain. Weather

• Secondary Domain. Knowledge

• Secondary Domain. 

Old Man, Grorarr God of the Wild!

• Geography. The Jungle of the World Tree

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain: 

L. Marcus Doomsayer, God of Justice!

• Geography. Babylon, The World City

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference: 

• Mythic Monster or Guardian: 

• Secondary Domain: Cities

• Secondary Domain / Option: Trade and Transport

• Secondary Domain / Option. 

Logan.1179 Rebastia, God of Water!

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Amamaun

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora/Fauna: 

• Interference:  

• Secondary Domain.  

• Secondary Domain: 

Cancer Tziruu, The God of Decay and Unmaking!

• Geography. Wormlight

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference:

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. Sandworms

• Secondary Domain. Worms

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain: 

Lucius Arepo, Goddess of Death and Rebirth!

• Geography. Jurmunganger, the Long Land, a single continent.

• Sentient Life: 

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Flora, Fauna, or Ore. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain: Interference: 

Hermit, Concinnant God of crafts and Invention!

• Geography. The Riddledark

• Sentient Life. Engdweorg

• Gift to Civilization. Sreampunk Technology

• Flora/Fauna: 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Metals

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

Sociotard, Pandemonium God of Chaos and Madness!

• Geography. The World is a Torus

• Sentient Life. 

• Gift to Civilization. Parliamentary republics with Professional Bureaucracies

• Flora. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

• Secondary Domain. 

Psybolt, Academy, God of Lies and Trickery!

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Humans

• Gift to Civilization. 

• Fauna/Flora. 

• Interference. 

• Secondary Domain. Comedy and Humour

• Secondary Domain: Acting

• Secondary Domain: 

The Amamaun were the first people to live in this new world and thus the first to die.

They found many ways to the Dark Gate: some lingered too long in a pool that became cut off by the endless cycles of inundation and rising, and thus left high and dry when the pool at last drained; some fell to the predators of the deep; some learned too late that certain bright patterns proclaimed "Touch me not, I am poison."

And sometimes corpses were left to bloat and become unrecognizable vectors of disease, or the departed's companions would tow the corpse about with them and speak to it, hoping for a response. And sometimes there would come a response.

And the spirits were restless and haunted the dreams of the Amamaun, until all feared to close their eyes for the horror of the terrifying visions that may ensue. For it is the way of mortals that the living shall fear the dead, who remind them that they too must in time come to the Dark Gate.

And I, Arepo, the Lady of Death and Rebirth, came upon a band of the Amamaun whose fear and grief were so heavy they could not swim about but only follow the seafloor; and they were besieged by an army of corpses, for the dead, unable to pass the Gate, had returned to their flesh to encircle their kin and gaze at them with blank dead eyes demanding to be put to rest.

And the Amamaun recognized Me and cast down their eyes, save one, who gazed at Me pleading, and I saw that her compassion for the dead was greater than her fear of them. To her I said "The people suffer, living as well as dead. To end that suffering, would you give your own life?" And despite her fear she said "I would" and then I knew that I had found the First Priestess.

To be continued....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary and I have places to go, people to siege.