Looking for help creating a power

JCR

Greetings!

I am looking to create a power that only works when a character has suffered negative STUN it automatically activates during his next phase to recover him X amount of STUN. I would also make it a 1 use per 24hrs. The idea ultimately is that in cases in which he has suffered more than negative -11 STUN, this power would activate during his next phase acting as a recovery instead of having to wait until post-segment 12 to use a recovery. Its a power that can never be consciously used or forced to be activated, it has that specific trigger, and it can be as low as negative -1 STUN to negative -20 STUN (I don't think I will be fighting anything that will smack me for any greater than that in one hit, and if I am, I should've known better than to pick a fight w/ it).

The most basic example I think of is how the Power Armor recognizes he has been KOed and jolts him back into action by administering a shot of adrenaline, this is just an example.

EDIT: whats the best way to get a defense so someone doesn't read your mind for the least amounts of points (i will add it as an extra defense system built into the PA)? I am fuzzy on how to go about that one and I just want it for that purpose only, I can still be attacked mentally normally, I just can't stand the idea of even an ally reading my mind.

Edited by Jayzon
added info

1 hour ago, Jayzon said:

I am looking to create a power that only works when a character has suffered negative STUN it automatically activates during his next phase to recover him X amount of STUN. I would also make it a 1 use per 24hrs. The idea ultimately is that in cases in which he has suffered more than negative -11 STUN, this power would activate during his next phase acting as a recovery instead of having to wait until post-segment 12 to use a recovery. Its a power that can never be consciously used or forced to be activated, it has that specific trigger, and it can be as low as negative -1 STUN to negative -20 STUN (I don't think I will be fighting anything that will smack me for any greater than that in one hit, and if I am, I should've known better than to pick a fight w/ it).

Aid STUN (something)d6, 1 Charge (-2), Trigger.  The math for trigger varies between editions (I think, don't quote me I don't play 6th) so consult ye olde book. 

If you want it to always recover the same amount of STUN, look at the Standard Effect option so each d6 always comes up 3. 

1 hour ago, Jayzon said:

EDIT: whats the best way to get a defense so someone doesn't read your mind for the least amounts of points (i will add it as an extra defense system built into the PA)? I am fuzzy on how to go about that one and I just want it for that purpose only, I can still be attacked mentally normally, I just can't stand the idea of even an ally reading my mind.

In order for a mind reader to read your mind, they have to get "telepathy damage" past your Mental Defense and they have to get a certain total more than your EGO. 

Therefore: Mental Defense, limited to Only Against Mind Reading (-something), possibly Always On (-something else).  I'd ballpark those at -2 and -1/4 myself. 

OK, I took your advice and created it the following way:

Adrenaline Boost
Aid 9d6+1 STUN
Only to Aid Self -1
Only Restores To Starting Values -1/2
Trigger - When Character's STUN Drops Below One +1/4
Focus OIF (its part of the PA powers) -1/2
Charges 1 every 24hrs -2
Active Points: 70              Real Cost: 14

As for the other one I just went the plain mental defense route since its better all-around protection

I am wondering about another power.

As I understand it, having a low or high DCV of any type doesn't help at all against an AoE attack (please enlighten me if I am wrong about this), thus I would I properly buy/get +DCV vs. AoE attacks only?

9 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Since its only once a day, why not use healing?

I recommended Aid since the SFX of "adrenaline shot" suggested to me a temporary pick-me-up that would abate over time.  It also makes it vastly less of a headache if the character installs additional uses of the power in the suit at a later time. 

23 minutes ago, Jayzon said:

As I understand it, having a low or high DCV of any type doesn't help at all against an AoE attack (please enlighten me if I am wrong about this), thus I would I properly buy/get +DCV vs. AoE attacks only?

You are correct, AoEs don't care what your DCV is*.  For that reason, there's no way to make yourself "harder to hit" with an AOE.  You can do things to protect you against AoEs in particular, though.  Damage Negation, Only Against AoE Attacks (-something) comes to mind.  Did you have any particular SFX in mind? 

*Unless the AoE is Selective or Nonselective, in which case they have to roll to hit like everything else. 

Yup, the adrenaline shot is what I went with because it is meant to be a temporary pick-me-up to stay in the fight instead of spectating as a player because my character just got KOed for the rest of the fight (happens to me to often; including getting shot in the back in secret ID and barely surviving last time).

I am surprised there's no way to avoid an AoE attack, this means there's no point in getting a good DCV! The points would be best invested in getting more PD/ED instead, dang! And before someone sez, "but a good DCV will protect against single attacks", my GM always gets AoE attacks as well as always recommend we get at least one exactly because its a DCV 3 to hit. This sounds really frustrating.

Wait... now this just came to me, why not make all my single attacks AoE 1 meter thus completely ignoring an opponent's DCV?!?

Hehe this is why the GM always tells me am always trying to "game the system", hahaha!

31 minutes ago, Jayzon said:

Wait... now this just came to me, why not make all my single attacks AoE 1 meter thus completely ignoring an opponent's DCV?!?

Because active point totals being equal, the damage will be lower for the AoE than the single-target attack.

For example, 60 points gets you a 12d6 Blast, or a 9d6 AoE 1m Blast.  (Well, you can go as high as 9 1/2 d6 AoE for 60 points, but you're still down 2 1/2 d6.)

37 minutes ago, Jayzon said:

I am surprised there's no way to avoid an AoE attack, this means there's no point in getting a good DCV! The points would be best invested in getting more PD/ED instead, dang! And before someone sez, "but a good DCV will protect against single attacks", my GM always gets AoE attacks as well as always recommend we get at least one exactly because its a DCV 3 to hit. This sounds really frustrating.

If you have a held action and the Barrier power, you could throw up a wall between you and the incoming AoE attack.  If the AoE attack's not Indirect, it should stop at the Barrier (though if the AoE does enough damage to take down the Barrier, it may still get some damage to you, though the Barrier should reduce that by a good amount.)

Even easier, if you haven't acted that Phase, you could Abort your next action and Dive For Cover to get out of the AoE.  Or if you Held a prior action, simply run / leap / fly / teleport out of the area as the attack is coming in.

Does the GM *only* use AoE attacks against the heroes?  If so, then yeah, not much point to a high DCV.  I'd get in the habit of Holding my action until the bad guy goes, then as he attacks do a quick half-move and attack him.

14 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Because active point totals being equal, the damage will be lower for the AoE than the single-target attack.

For example, 60 points gets you a 12d6 Blast, or a 9d6 AoE 1m Blast.  (Well, you can go as high as 9 1/2 d6 AoE for 60 points, but you're still down 2 1/2 d6.)

I agree, but another thing I have trouble understanding is is there a limit of some sort as to how many points a power should have? I ask because as soon as I went over 60 it was as if I had broken some unspoken rule until I pointed out that some Blasts in the powers book actually have 70/14d6.

I recognize how it might be ridiculous what am about to say but instead of having a zillion powers/abilities/stats, etc. I'd much prefer a character that has only 1 blast of 20d6, a resistance of 33 PD/ED, and 40 meters of flight, the rest in stats and skills, but am not allowed.

18 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

If you have a held action and the Barrier power, you could throw up a wall between you and the incoming AoE attack.  If the AoE attack's not Indirect, it should stop at the Barrier (though if the AoE does enough damage to take down the Barrier, it may still get some damage to you, though the Barrier should reduce that by a good amount.)

Even easier, if you haven't acted that Phase, you could Abort your next action and Dive For Cover to get out of the AoE.  Or if you Held a prior action, simply run / leap / fly / teleport out of the area as the attack is coming in.

Does the GM *only* use AoE attacks against the heroes?  If so, then yeah, not much point to a high DCV.  I'd get in the habit of Holding my action until the bad guy goes, then as he attacks do a quick half-move and attack him.

Hum... Barrier could work as a automated self activating force field (current build is a Power Armor), I like it.
I am not too clear on the Dive for Cover, but I will look further into it since it could be the cheaper points-wise way to go.
-
The most frustrating part of character creation for me is that the beauty of Hero System is the imagination is the limit, but am still forced to stick to preconceived notions of unofficial limits, regulations, and "must stick to a theme" type of thinking, starting by, but not limited to, official NPCs. And no, I never look to break the rules, but I do like to test its limits sometimes, its just part of the fun to me.

I would like to get an built-in onboard computer for my Power Armor and the one I saw in hero equipment book just seems like a modern cell phone instead of a computer per se. Any chance there's perhaps a better example somewhere else, or can you please help me build one? Also, since its part of the PA does it count as OIF as well or IIF since its built into the PA?

If you're buying a Computer (at 5 points per 1 point spent) then no, you don't get to put Focus on that as well -- you're already getting 5 per 1 as it is.  (Think of it automatically being on a separate "focus" as part of that 5 per 1 deal.)

As to the variety of powers versus one big power approach, there are times one of those various powers is better than the one big blast.  For instance, having an attack that Affects Desolid is useful if, y'know, the target is Desolidified, where that big attack would just go right through him.  Or an AVAD or NND is useful when going up against someone with mondo PD / ED. 

Regarding point limits, yeah, one of the GM's jobs is to make sure things don't get out of hand, in particular during character generation.  Otherwise, you could throw a few Limitations on an insanely huge power to bring it down to a livable cost.  Sure, that 30d6 AoE 4m radius Blast (OAF) can only be used 2 times a day and takes a full Phase to fire, but at that level of damage, how often would you need to fire it off?  And at only 47 points, it's not all that expensive.  But as a GM, I wouldn't allow it... unless the players understand that their foes till have similar immediate-fight-ending attacks at their disposal.  (That usually makes the players decide not to try stepping over that line.)

That said, the GM should give you general guidelines (e.g. "No attacks over 60 Active Points, (AP)" or "Only one attack up to 75 AP, all others at or under 60 AP" so everybody's  aware of what the limits are.

7 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

If you're buying a Computer (at 5 points per 1 point spent) then no, you don't get to put Focus on that as well -- you're already getting 5 per 1 as it is.  (Think of it automatically being on a separate "focus" as part of that 5 per 1 deal.)

As to the variety of powers versus one big power approach, there are times one of those various powers is better than the one big blast.  For instance, having an attack that Affects Desolid is useful if, y'know, the target is Desolidified, where that big attack would just go right through him.  Or an AVAD or NND is useful when going up against someone with mondo PD / ED. 

Regarding point limits, yeah, one of the GM's jobs is to make sure things don't get out of hand, in particular during character generation.  Otherwise, you could throw a few Limitations on an insanely huge power to bring it down to a livable cost.  Sure, that 30d6 AoE 4m radius Blast (OAF) can only be used 2 times a day and takes a full Phase to fire, but at that level of damage, how often would you need to fire it off?  And at only 47 points, it's not all that expensive.  But as a GM, I wouldn't allow it... unless the players understand that their foes till have similar immediate-fight-ending attacks at their disposal.  (That usually makes the players decide not to try stepping over that line.)

That said, the GM should give you general guidelines (e.g. "No attacks over 60 Active Points, (AP)" or "Only one attack up to 75 AP, all others at or under 60 AP" so everybody's  aware of what the limits are.

Yup I can see why its already cheap to get a computer and I also agree w/ you on the rest.

The problem I ran into was the following. When I was creating my 1st character I was told that building a character w/ a 20 resistance and above was considered too high and that I couldn't go w/ a power that cost more than 70 points of active cost. Next thing I know I am fighting a sniper (sniper being a sniper shoots at you from a vary far off place in the map) w/ penetrating shots of 4d6 killing attack (which means ALL damage went thru all our defenses) thus killing my character in the ensuing session. I make a new one, stupid me did not get impenetrable and still get only 15 resistant defenses and only get 1 big power (14d6 blast) and we run into a guy w/ resistant defenses of 28 and a blast of 17d6 (Morticus) on top of having the Fiend and 3 members of the pack (all official NPCs) on top of us and combat started when my secret ID (zero powers only skills) got hit in the back (his own dang fault, long story) by a 14 body hit from the sniper that left me in lalaland and bleeding to death for the rest of the encounter. I think at this point am just rambling...

In a nutshell, I feel like anything I build always ends up being subpar w/ whatever it is am fighting. I have spent more than 3 sessions just completely KOed watching every one else fight and its very frustrating, but when I tried recreating something more powerful w/o breaking any rules, well lets just say I wasn't allowed. I know someone will suggest to maybe try another group, but 'another group' doesn't really exist. I don't know anyone else that plays and I've tried various different things (internet, shops, billboards) and this is the only group I've been able to get in 3 years that is not D&D (blearch; sorry too many bad groups in a row w/ that system). Don't get me wrong, they are a great group, just seems am the one that keeps having a hard time w/ my characters.

19 minutes ago, Jayzon said:

The problem I ran into was the following. When I was creating my 1st character I was told that building a character w/ a 20 resistance and above was considered too high and that I couldn't go w/ a power that cost more than 70 points of active cost. Next thing I know I am fighting a sniper (sniper being a sniper shoots at you from a vary far off place in the map) w/ penetrating shots of 4d6 killing attack (which means ALL damage went thru all our defenses) thus killing my character in the ensuing session. I make a new one, stupid me did not get impenetrable and still get only 15 resistant defenses and only get 1 big power (14d6 blast) and we run into a guy w/ resistant defenses of 28 and a blast of 17d6 (Morticus) on top of having the Fiend and 3 members of the pack (all official NPCs) on top of us and combat started when my secret ID (zero powers only skills) got hit in the back (his own dang fault, long story) by a 14 body hit from the sniper that left me in lalaland and bleeding to death for the rest of the encounter. I think at this point am just rambling...

In a nutshell, I feel like anything I build always ends up being subpar w/ whatever it is am fighting. I have spent more than 3 sessions just completely KOed watching every one else fight and its very frustrating, but when I tried recreating something more powerful w/o breaking any rules, well lets just say I wasn't allowed. I know someone will suggest to maybe try another group, but 'another group' doesn't really exist. I don't know anyone else that plays and I've tried various different things (internet, shops, billboards) and this is the only group I've been able to get in 3 years that is not D&D (blearch; sorry too many bad groups in a row w/ that system). Don't get me wrong, they are a great group, just seems am the one that keeps having a hard time w/ my characters.

I'd suggest telling your GM your frustrations and asking for his assistance in making/playing a character who feels less fragile. 

And if he's an arse about it, plagiarize the numbers off the sheet of another player who's having better luck surviving. 

1 hour ago, Jayzon said:

Next thing I know I am fighting a sniper (sniper being a sniper shoots at you from a vary far off place in the map) w/ penetrating shots of 4d6 killing attack (which means ALL damage went thru all our defenses)

Um, Penetrating doesn't mean that all damage goes through, but rather that a certain amount gets through.  So if the 4d6 rolled, say, 6-4-3-2, the 15 total would have bounced against your 20 rPD, but at least 5 BODY would get through (2 from the 6, and 1 each from the 4, 3, and 2).  On average, 4 BODY would have gotten through with each shot.  Still hurts a lot, but not instantly fatal.

It does sound like your GM is of the "See My Power and Tremble In Fear!" type.  You need some tactics for dealing with this.  For snipers - a Darkness field between you and him should help.  If you can justify it, a little Regeneration (at least 1 BODY per Turn would be optimum) might be in order.

2 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

I'd suggest telling your GM your frustrations and asking for his assistance in making/playing a character who feels less fragile. 

And if he's an arse about it, plagiarize the numbers off the sheet of another player who's having better luck surviving. 

In my opinion the only person out of place in the group is me, the rest of the group seems to have good synergy. I just have a completely way of seeing and doing things that I think just doesn't fit in quite well w/ the group.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Um, Penetrating doesn't mean that all damage goes through, but rather that a certain amount gets through.  So if the 4d6 rolled, say, 6-4-3-2, the 15 total would have bounced against your 20 rPD, but at least 5 BODY would get through (2 from the 6, and 1 each from the 4, 3, and 2).  On average, 4 BODY would have gotten through with each shot.  Still hurts a lot, but not instantly fatal.

It does sound like your GM is of the "See My Power and Tremble In Fear!" type.  You need some tactics for dealing with this.  For snipers - a Darkness field between you and him should help.  If you can justify it, a little Regeneration (at least 1 BODY per Turn would be optimum) might be in order.

That's exactly how I explained (more than once) penetrating to the GM, but he insisted it just means it ignores defenses and goes straight thru unless you have the impenetrable advantage on your defenses.

I don't think he's that type, but I do think the group is the type that prefers to ALWAYS have an uphill battle against the bad guys, which I think its unrealistic, the game in general should be challenging, but not every single super villain should be tougher than your character, but then again that's just my way of thinking.

I really don't want to mess up the group w/ my baggage, seems they're all having fun regardless, so I think I just need to make peace w/ the idea of 'take it or leave it' or just quitting gaming since its not really working out for me in the last few years.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:02 PM, Jayzon said:

I am wondering about another power.

There's technically no way to raise your DCV against Area of Effect attacks, but if your GM will approve the ability you might try something like a 8d6 AID to DCV - Area of Effect - Only to increase the innate DCV of the hexes around you (DCV 3 at range, DCV 0 when adjacent).

Could be a fun way to thwart the enemies that like single-hex AoE attacks just to bypass DCV.

From what you've said your GM does strike me as the adversarial type; someone who is enjoys inflicting "gotchya" situations. That's unfortunate.  Especially since the GM has infinite points to spend for NPCs.

I'd go with what Gnomebody suggested and ask the GM for help designing a character that'll fit the game style better. They will probably be flattered to help and less likely to  try a gotchya. Not completely unlikely, but less likely.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:01 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

I could be mistaken, but I think you actually can put a Computer on a Focus.

Lucius Alexander

Putting a palindromedary on a computer

On 6/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

If you can justify it, a little Regeneration (at least 1 BODY per Turn would be optimum) might be in order.

I think Bolo has it.  Stick with the characters you like but get something in there that increases your ability to bounce back - if you are going to be dumped on, it is good to have the resources to get yourself back in the game.  You might have a friendly ghost that comes and heals you, you might have amazing regenerative abilities, you might be a mechanoid with a reset button that someone can push to re-boot you (bundle of STUN and REC with an activation roll of some kind, or a continuous Aid to STUN and END that kicks in if someone else pushes the reset button).  There are a number of ways it can be done but it is definitely no fun to be dumped out of the game and have to sit and watch.  You might also have a duplication triggered by a KO (perhaps this would be the friendly ghost that can heal...)

Just rambling now, I will go back to work...

Doc

Thank you all for your ideas, comments and suggestions. I think I will try the regeneration route and put in some limitations on it to work w/ the concept. Its a Power Armor based on Biomechanics and alien tech so I don't think it will be a stretch since it already boosts most of the wearers stats. But I will definitely run it by the gm and involve him in the process of creating it.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:03 PM, Jayzon said:

That's exactly how I explained (more than once) penetrating to the GM, but he insisted it just means it ignores defenses and goes straight thru unless you have the impenetrable advantage on your defenses.

At the risk of being blunt, can your GM read?  I can't imagine how anyone could read the description of Penetrating and reach his conclusion.

Is he "hard of thinking"?  If I built an AVAD power that Does Bod and is resisted only by Impenetrable defenses, that would be at least a +3 advantage [NND, Impenetrable defenses; does BOD].  Is it reasonable to think that a +1/2 advantage would have the same, or even greater, effect?

Why isn't there a Penetrating attack in your Multipower?  Probably because everyone else in the game has Impenetrable defenses because, based on that interpretation, it is suicide not to.  For +1, you could have a Double Penetrating attack...

On 6/28/2019 at 5:44 PM, Jayzon said:

Hehe this is why the GM always tells me am always trying to "game the system", hahaha!

Well, we wouldn't want anyone to treat the game like a game, now would we?

I'd say "everyone has an AoE power so they can target DCV 3" is gaming the system, myself.  I'd include "everyone has impenetrable defenses", but that's an outgrowth of not reading how Penetrating actually works.