Spider-Man Far From Home with spoilers.

Bazza

So, for next movie, will we get Kraven offering to hunt him down? J. Jonah working with an unknown scientist (Osborne or someone else, oh and LOVE that J.K. Simmons has returned to the role) to create Scorpion (which is one of the origins of the character, or maybe get Osborne creating the sinister six to do so.

Enjoyed the movie, loved the plotline and that stark is the gift that keeps giving. Loved Happy in it and who wouldn't want May as she appears now. Holland is great at both being Spiderman AND the awkward Peter Parker. Liked that because she pays attention, MJ figured out he was Spiderman, as anyone would if they paid attention. Not thrilled with first end credit scene. Don't hate the turning people against Spiderman, just wish they hadn't done second broadcast giving name. I am figuring was guy in van who edited and sent them out and that the group that Mysterio formed was still functioning under new leadership. Would be interesting if they became the sinister six or, using their specialties, created the various members. I mean, they have Chameleon with the stealth tech, Vulture with the flight anti grav stuf, Electro with the "lasers". Mysterio is dead, or so we think. not sure on sandman. They talked about Hydroman on the bus I believe to Prague. You could even add Kraven in.

While not quite as tightly scripted as Homecoming, and lacking the real menace and pathos of Vulture (Keaton), Far From Home was really enjoyable, and a strong, appropriate tone change from Endgame. Two things I appreciate the most, taking the time to deal with "the blip," and the villains, once again, being the result of previous MCU events. Just like the Vulture was spawned out of "the incident" and showed how a normal guy's life is changed by super-craziness in the world... this was the same with Mysterio and crew. I knew he was going to be bad, of course, but just how they were going to do it? Oh... a whole bunch of pissed off former Stark employees and the like? Beautiful. I particularly loved Gyllenhaal's rant about his ludicrous multiple Earth's story being "just the thing" people want to believe in. A nice jab at fandom while being a legitimate critique of the MCU as a whole, AND being a spot on plot point.

Loved the chemistry between Zendaya and Holland. They made it really work.

There were enough jokes that a full third of them fell completely flat and the movie was still hilarious.

The bad part was the final cut scene. I'm so not enjoying the wacky comedy skrulls, though it did allow for why Fury would have fallen for Mysterio's scam. I am just NOT looking forward to the wacky space adventures that seem to be the  direction the MCU is heading. 

I'll need to see it again, but I'm not sure it bumps anything out of my current Top 5 MCU movies, of which Homecoming is #5. 

Oh... and Holland is already looking too old to be a high schooler. My wife was like, "Time has passed... he should at least be 17 years old by now!" and I agree. I really liked how they allowed time to pass at a real rate between movies in the MCU... but the Spider-Man ones are seeming to try and keep them immediately following one another, which doesn't work as well.

To the timing, I think the plan was one movie per high school year.  Homecoming would have been Peter's freshman year, and this would be his summer after sophomore year.  Presumably the fourth will be Graduation. No idea what they'll do for the third, though.

I agree that the Blip was handled pretty well.  Odd that all of Spidey's classmates we've really gotten to know were in the 50%, but we kind of knew that would be the case, I think.  A reference to Liz Allen graduating college, or something like that, could have sent the message that not everyone blipped out.

I'm curious how different the movie felt for someone with no knowledge of "comic book Mysterio" being an SFX expert.  Most familiar with the comics "knew" Mysterio was the bad guy, I suspect.

I found the movie pretty decent - it was a fun romp, and we need some fun romp marvel movies.  It does continue the drift of MCU Spidey away from Comic Book Spidey, with the EDITH glasses building on his PowerSuit.  I'm not sure I love Iron Spider instead of Spider-Man, but I'm not a huge Spidey follower, and they've kept his SpiderPowers front and center.

The Mysterio storyline puts an end to any Thunderbolts, at least in the near term, IMO.  The MCU doesn't really have the sheer volume and history of villains to make the T-Bolts work though, so that's OK.

Also agreed that I'm not sure about the skrull impersonators.  It does beg the question "how long has that been going on?".  Who called Captain Marvel at the end of Infinity War?  Was Fury a Skrull in Age of Ultron?  My son followed some internet comment that Capt Marvel Fury makes a big deal about not eating diagonally cut toast, while in Age of Ultron, he cuts his sandwich diagonally.  "dun dun DUNNN"

Not quite the Secret Invasion - Fury is clearly aware of the situation - but how many other skrulls are implanted?  Was Hill ever a human?

See, our assumption that Mysterio is dead is based on Edith telling Peter that all of the drones illusions were shut down, but that technology, according to the flashback, was his. So who doesn't think that he had some personal illusions separated from the rest, paranoid and crazy as he was. I still like the idea that the "group" will create a sinister six to go after spider-man - A) to say they are heroes (following the logic the world only listens to heroes) and B ) to get revenge for ruining their plans.

Marvel Studios Explains The Difference Between The Blip And The Snap
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/kevin-feige-explains-blip-snap/

Kevin Feige: 
“It came pretty fast. We always referred to it as the Blip, and then the public started referring to it as the Snap. We think it’s funny when high school kids just call this horrific, universe-changing event the Blip.”

“We’ve narrowed it down to, the Snap is when everybody disappeared at the end of Infinity War. The Blip is when everybody returned at the end of Endgame…and that is how we have narrowed in on the definitions.”

11 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah I figured Abomination would be back in some form, but they almost never bring back villains in superhero movies (since most of them die) unless they are special recurring characters like the Brotherhood of Mutants or Loki.

This does seem to be something Feige and the rest should be smart enough to begin dealing with. One of the reasons villains become interesting is that they are recurring characters like everyone else. Loki would just have been an entertaining footnote from Thor if he'd never returned in Avengers and afterwards. Having villains come back simply gives them time to become more interesting.

I can't believe they haven't thought of this, so I'm wondering what is standing in the way. 

Now, in movie making, dealing with stars and their contracts can certainly make this a lot harder.  Gyllenhaal signs multi-film deal is just impossible to hide, and harder to negotiate, etc., but there is such clout with Marvel these days, I've got to assume this is surmountable. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:56 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

I'm curious how different the movie felt for someone with no knowledge of "comic book Mysterio" being an SFX expert.  Most familiar with the comics "knew" Mysterio was the bad guy, I suspect.

My wife (very little superhero comic lore) looked at me right after the cold open with Fury, Hill and Gyllenhaal... and said, "Is he going to be bad?" I just shrugged... "I dunno..." even though I did. Second time he shows up, she's like... "Oh... he's totally going to be bad." She still really enjoyed him as the villain, even though the reveal was not a big surprise. She saw it coming, but liked it. We talked afterward how it was a pretty honest updating of the basic villain concept from the comic, and well done even for someone like me who knew he'd be the bad guy.

3 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Generally liked it, but I hated the public revealing of Peter Parker. I like it when the heroes have to deal with their secret IDs, but the makers of the MCU apparently don't. Second cut scene on the surface seemed pointless, but lends itself to a lot of questions.

Agreed, said this above about the reveal. If they had left it at "his name is P..." would have been great. Imagine, Peter as a senior heading to graduation (and he or MJ probably valedictorian) while dealing with "heroes/villains" (see my supposition on a new sinister six before) hunting Spider-Man. It also lessens Coombs not telling anyone who he is, since why haven't you bothered if they were just going to reveal. I guess Beck, or one of his tech people (guy in van?) is more vengeful. I predict a Skrull sighting as Spiderman while Peter is visible to get out of it.