Sign in to follow this  
Enforcer84

'19-'20 NBA Thread. Let the post Warriors World Begin

19 hours ago, Starlord said:

SAS is a combination of great and horrible

I will accept this if and only if you insert the word "idiocy" immediately after the word "great".

19 hours ago, Starlord said:

10 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I will accept this if and only if you insert the word "idiocy" immediately after the word "great".

The word "idiocy" would also work well inserted immediately after "horrible":

"SAS is a combination of great and horrible idiocy."

Am I right?

On 2/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, Starlord said:

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

The word "idiocy" would also work well inserted immediately after "horrible":

"SAS is a combination of great and horrible idiocy."

Am I right?

Whereas the SAS (Special Air Service) would punish you for talking about them like that. And you would not see it coming.

As long as they turned Steven A Smith into vulture food at the same time, it would be a noble venture for the greater good, albeit with a high personal price.  And it would dispose of a fatuous fool who was besmirching their acronym.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Sorry, you lost me there. :rofl:

Yeah, why I said only some.  But, I am pretty sure Max (Kellerman, I found out) is there in some probably vain effort to make Smith likeable.  I cant see another purpose.

I stand by what I said about SAS being great and horrible.  He is great at what he's asked to do judging by the rating he brings in for ESPN.  They want him to be loud, boisterous and outlandish...and he is.  Yes, he has made an incredible amount of dumb statements and most of the time I grit my teeth when trying to listen to him, but he has also been a maverick with some of his positions and often takes viewpoints diametrically opposed to the increasingly radical left-leaning editorializing that has taken over ESPN.  Personally, if you want just plain horrible then go watch or listen to Skip Bayless.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Personally, if you want just plain horrible then go watch or listen to Skip Bayless.

Well, you're certainly not wrong about this.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:05 PM, Badger said:

Hearing Rockets trading Capella for Covington in 4 team trade.  Apparently, deciding to play the 5 guard game. :rofl:

I know Wetbrook and Harden get quite a few rebounds for their size, but, the hell.  I like Covington, as SF,  but he may have to be a PF/C on this team.

I think they were looking at Capela's health (Ankle Inury?) and given Morey's tenuous position with ownership over the China thing, the guys I follow said this was a let's make the Most Mike D'Antoni team we can since it's very likely neither of us will be here next year.

Also I think just having two guys who can't shoot (Westbrook and Capella) on the floor was breaking their souls. 

I hate the rockets and I hope this bites them in the butt. But I see their point.

On 2/19/2020 at 2:10 PM, Enforcer84 said:

Also I think just having two guys who can't shoot (Westbrook and Capella) on the floor was breaking their souls. 

Well, seeing how defensively indifferent D'Antoni is I can see that.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, Enforcer84 said:

Aaaand they're torching. Dammit.

Yeah, in baseball I always pull against the team, who gets 3 offensive corner outfielders, and then remember one has to play center.  Always feel proper respect must be made to defense

The basketball equivalent is with the Rockets.  (and with analytics always looking for that "market inefficiency",  it looks the big man who gets double figure rebounds has become the underappreciated, sadly.  Between the Rockets experiment, and Drummond being dumped for the return of a used sink)

On 2/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Badger said:

Yeah, in baseball I always pull against the team, who gets 3 offensive corner outfielders, and then remember one has to play center.  Always feel proper respect must be made to defense

The basketball equivalent is with the Rockets.  (and with analytics always looking for that "market inefficiency",  it looks the big man who gets double figure rebounds has become the underappreciated, sadly.  Between the Rockets experiment, and Drummond being dumped for the return of a used sink)

College basketball has been playing with three-guard, two-forward sets for decades. In the modern game, it's hard for college coaches to train true big men, and when they do they're usually snapped up early by the NBA -- where the ones who show offensive promise usually fail. Drafting a center you expect to be a major part of your offense has become a high-risk, low-reward proposition after a string of high-profile busts. As a result, owners have been shy on taking them.

People forget that Zion Williamson, the best power prospect the league has seen in nearly a decade, is only 6'6".

NBA scouts simply didn't buy into Bol Bol and Tacko Fall (Bol may never ghet into the league at all -- not hat he really cares -- and Fall's six NBA games this season may be the only nBA games he ever plays).

Every game evolves. In the NFL, nobody keeps two true running backs on the field anymore. The traditional "goon" won't get into the NHL unless they can do other things. Nobody in baseball is allowed to pitch complete games anymore, to the point that starters get pulled from no-hitters.

8 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

College basketball has been playing with three-guard, two-forward sets for decades. In the modern game, it's hard for college coaches to train true big men, and when they do they're usually snapped up early by the NBA -- where the ones who show offensive promise usually fail. Drafting a center you expect to be a major part of your offense has become a high-risk, low-reward proposition after a string of high-profile busts. As a result, owners have been shy on taking them.

People forget that Zion Williamson, the best power prospect the league has seen in nearly a decade, is only 6'6".

NBA scouts simply didn't buy into Bol Bol and Tacko Fall (Bol may never ghet into the league at all -- not hat he really cares -- and Fall's six NBA games this season may be the only nBA games he ever plays).

Every game evolves. In the NFL, nobody keeps two true running backs on the field anymore. The traditional "goon" won't get into the NHL unless they can do other things. Nobody in baseball is allowed to pitch complete games anymore, to the point that starters get pulled from no-hitters.

Yeah, I am aware of all that.  But, just the ability to rebound well, has become a very undervalued stat.  I do kind of like some the evolution.  And don't really bemoan the death of classic centers, per se.  But, I find it a little disturbing that the ability to rebound has become disposable.  And that might be the biggest reason, I want to see Houston get squashed in the playoffs.

And for centers who have the ability to become the classic big man.  I think leaving early, has been what has busted quite a few of them.  They would be better off having an avenue to fine-tune abilities. Those skills are more of a mature player's game.  Though, it is nearly impossible to turn down the ability to have yourself and the 2-3 generations of your family set. 

On 2/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Badger said:

Well they lost to the Knicks last night, that makes me feel better. 

cant say I don't lose respect for Jefferson on that.  While, I cant comment on everything.  I think the record speaks for itself for Duncan-the player.  If someone did the carryng more likely Duncan carried Jefferson (though Jefferson was a solid player too)