What Can I Do With Chainsaw?

BoloOfEarth

I'm revamping the Destruction Company (from the 4th Edition High-Tech Enemies) for an upcoming appearance in my Champions campaign.  Canonically, they have been active in my game world for years prior to the current PC heroes first putting on their capes (so to speak), so they'd have a decent amount of experience.  (To give you a concept of scale, the current campaign has been going on for about 5 years and the heroes have accumulated about 200 XP.)  Even if you consider that the villains spent a good chunk of time in jail during this time and not acquiring as much XP, they should still be about on par with the heroes. 

For most of the members of DC, increasing existing power levels and adding some new slots in Multipowers has worked okay thus far.  (I haven't tackled Live Wire or Jackhammer yet, and am just starting Chainsaw.) However, I'm having trouble doing much with Chainsaw.  I mean, the battlesuits are almost exactly the same between all members of DC, and all Chainsaw has is that chainsaw.  I added a second level of AP and +2 STUN to it, but even that only uses a relatively small amount of available XP.

I thought about giving him a Rocket-Propelled Chainsaw, which could help fill some of the void (and certainly make him more memorable!)  Or maybe modify the idea a bit, and make it a chainsaw-equipped drone (like those BattleBots, but flying)?

Does anybody here have any interesting ideas for what to do with this one-shot wonder?

I don't know who these villains are, but am still willing to give out a few ideas. Chainsaws are always nasty and intimidating so it sounds cool he's getting an upgrade. How about a new high-tech chainsaw that fires buzzsaw blades out of a slot or somesuch? An electric field to the saw that acts as a NND attack in addition to its cutting/slashing attack? A specific presence attack as he raises the chainsaw above his head and loudly revs it up as he laughs maniacally? It can affect desolidified (i don'y know the guy so I dunno how or why, but my 1st instinct: he had it custom-cursed w/ magic in order to be able to kill the ghosts of his past victims for haunting him while he was in jail all this time *shrugs*). If there's any link only to these villains you speak up, please feel free to share. Learning about past Champions lore is always fun, plus bringing back old heroes/villains is always as well.

I like the idea of adding an NND electric attack.  Thank you.

The Destruction Company are a team of 6 saboteurs / mercenaries who all wear almost identical battlesuits designed by their leader (Power Tool), but each have individual attacks.  They consist of Power Tool (scientist / gadgeteer), Live Wire (pseudo-cyborg with electrical attacks), Chainsaw (the name says it all), Jackhammer (ditto), Countdown (demolitions expert with a hand-held mortar) and Burnout (pyromaniac with a flamethrower).

Here are pics of the team. I think you can guess who is who.

PowerTool.thumb.jpg.ffd6068fa62feca84c4346b874764541.jpgLiveWire.thumb.jpg.ebea9b04a489010f3cc78357f3868c7d.jpg

Chainsaw.thumb.jpg.7be82a76c268f4ecd690fef2cc4bbe8c.jpgJackhammer.thumb.jpg.a737c24c37dd3deff407a3a2d0077ce4.jpgCountdown.thumb.jpg.f6a882fb3248696743b07bfcfc2ec916.jpgBurnout.thumb.jpg.3530166a7b262f289b25e8d117dedd91.jpg

Chainsaw's update.

Tunneling, slowly as he cuts into walls, much like the tunneling brick trick.

+PRE, only to attack.

Deflection, No Range, Focus, Physical Special Effect only.

A few backup chainsaws (only 5 points per doubling).

Summon Chainsaw Drones.

A dislike for Texas Chainsaw Massacre series of movies. And Pieces, the movie. "I'm not from Texas, and I'm not a cannibal."

Reputation: "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is based upon him". It is false, but hey...

I don't know how nasty you want to make him, but here are a few ideas.

Make the chainsaw drones a Constant penetrating HKA (they latch on and just keep cutting).

Give him a damage shield with the chainsaw that requires a to hit roll (as you hit him he hits you back).

Add variable advantage to the chainsaw or a multipower to switch out from penetrating x2, AP, Extra HKA, Reduced Negation, RKA with indirect (he releases it and it flies out to attack and then returns to his hand), etc.

Edit: To me, the electrical stuff is getting into Live Wire territory.

- E

Edited by eepjr24

11 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

Edit: To me, the electrical stuff is getting into Live Wire territory.

Hmmm...  I could make it a neural disruption field instead (AVAD vs. Power Defense instead of NND).  That doesn't infringe on anybody's schtick.  Thanks for pointing that out.

4 hours ago, steriaca said:

A dislike for Texas Chainsaw Massacre series of movies. And Pieces, the movie. "I'm not from Texas, and I'm not a cannibal."

Heh.  Looking at the writeup in the book, it says that both Chainsaw and Jackhammer came from "a small Texas town."  But at least he's not a cannibal.  :winkgrin:

14 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Heh.  Looking at the writeup in the book, it says that both Chainsaw and Jackhammer came from "a small Texas town."  But at least he's not a cannibal.  :winkgrin:

Odd. Wasn't there a horror movie where the killer uses a "portable" jackhammer through the movie?

Yes. I found it. It is named The Jackhammer Massacre or simply Jackhammer.

One of the things that struck me when I used a chainsaw the first few times was that the saw really did pull me closer to the thing I was cutting if I had not placed it properly, once it has a target it digs into it.  I like the idea that it not only does you constant damage, it holds you there while it does it...

It is a horrid weapon and I do not think anyone would want to come close when they see it do damage, it is inherently a killing, lethal attack weapon, it should be scary to get close to and everyone should worry about being hit with it, if it does not do you damage right away then it should begin degrading your defences until it does do you damage...

🙂 Have a nice day!

Doc

19 hours ago, theinfn8 said:

How "high tech" we going?

Laser chainsaw! Could also give him a ranged blast (or a limited range blast that is extending the length of the blade), the ability to block energy blasts, a tunneling effect wouldn't be out of the question.

Pretty high-tech, though I don't want to replace the chain itself with lasers.  (Not sure how that would work, without just making it a plain old laser.)  Though adding a laser to it to give him a ranged attack is a possibility.  (After all, Jackhammer can eject his hammertips - basically a ranged attack on limited charges.) But I think it would be better (and more scary) to have it able to shoot out a limited number of spinning saw-toothed "discs of death."

40 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

One of the things that struck me when I used a chainsaw the first few times was that the saw really did pull me closer to the thing I was cutting if I had not placed it properly, once it has a target it digs into it.  I like the idea that it not only does you constant damage, it holds you there while it does it..

Hmmm... not sure the best way to go about that.  A linked TK Grab?

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

One of the things that struck me when I used a chainsaw the first few times was that the saw really did pull me closer to the thing I was cutting if I had not placed it properly, once it has a target it digs into it.  I like the idea that it not only does you constant damage, it holds you there while it does it...

It is a horrid weapon and I do not think anyone would want to come close when they see it do damage, it is inherently a killing, lethal attack weapon, it should be scary to get close to and everyone should worry about being hit with it, if it does not do you damage right away then it should begin degrading your defences until it does do you damage...

🙂 Have a nice day!

Doc

I like this idea.

Maybe tag on a resistant defense drain with a long reset (I really miss Destruction and Transfer as power concepts) to simulate the chainsaw ripping away at the heroes' armor or bullet-proof hide.

56 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Hmmm... not sure the best way to go about that.  A linked TK Grab?

That would do it.  TK only for someone hit with the chainsaw, only to keep them close.  Breaking free of the TK would be what would end the continuous element of the attack...

Doc