LFP [Roll20+Discord] Champions, D&D, and more. Sunday evenings (7-11 EST/4-8 PST)

Cool_Manchu

We’re looking for one or two other gamers to join us on our weekly adventure sessions on Roll20+Discord. We take turns running games, sharing GMing duties. We’ve got three games going now: We just started a home-brew Champions 6th edition game and Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. We are wrapping up a Dungeons and Dragons 5e Tomb of Annihilation campaign, but we’re at a great spot to add a couple of higher level peeps to help us wrap it up. 

Our group is pretty casual-- We rarely argue and don’t want someone who wants to come in and get mired in rules over having fun. We joke around quite a bit and all of us think we are individually funny-- and are right about 10% of the time. :) So if you think you are funny, you would fit in (even if you are really aren’t). 

We all lean to the left politically and while politics rarely come up (and it’s preferred to stay that way) we wanted to be upfront about who we are. 

Not a requirement, but we’re looking to play a variety of different games and encourage new players to run a game if they want to. Other game ideas that have been thrown around for the future include Pendragon, Call of Cthulhu, and Paranoia to name a few. 

We are all older and have known each other IRL for various lengths of time reaching back 35+ years. We get along very well and have a very limited rule-set that dictates our style:

Have fun

Does it make sense? (doesn’t have to be realistic)

Does it move the story forward?

It’s the GM’s game, so they have the final say, let’s get on with it already! 

Who are you?

Dedicated to joining a group of people on a regular basis.

Enjoy playing a variety of games.

Enjoy a solid blend of combat heavy sessions mixed with narrative/roleplay sessions.

Communicative about attendance. 

Willing to understand if it doesn’t work out and we promise to do the same if you feel differently.

If you’ve read this far, tell us about yourself, what you are looking for in a game, and why you might be a good fit. This is important and it will show that you took the time to read this far. Honestly, I wouldn’t have, but you did and now you get to write to tell all about you! :) Lucky!

• 1 month later...

Not actively looking at the moment; currently in the last legs of a 1+ year game I've been running ~2 times a month. Would like to look at virtual groups to move closer to achieving consistent gaming - even combined face-to-face/remote.

Enjoy a good mix of narrative/combat - ideally, combats have lots of roleplaying in them to make the stakes feel real.

Basically what you describe is exactly what I'm interested in, and therefore a good fit. I want to run a D&D 5E game just to use a rules set put out by Matt Colville - or maybe I'll use that to supplement a HERO game, etc. But HERO is my first love.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey @Cool_Manchu!

Sounds like we have a lot in common! I've been gaming since the late '70's with D&D and Tunnels & Trolls, hit a gaming peak in college in the late '80's-early '90's running 4th edition Champions and Cyberpunk 2020 while playing Villains & Vigilantes, Paranoia, It Came from the Late Late Late Show, Call of Cthulhu, and possibly others I've forgotten.

I'm now running D&D 5E on Roll20 for a group, and we're playing--guess what? Tomb of Annihilation. 

I see your Original Post was from last summer, but I plan to start an episodic 4th edition Champions game on Roll20 as a charity fundraiser to combat COVID-19, and I would love advice on how best to set things up on that platform. Suggestions?

As background: I will ask players to donate at least $10 per game session to the CDC Foundation or a 501c3 tax-deductible charity of their choice. I've purchased some superhero tokens and modern urban maps from 3rd party vendors on Roll20, and I'm very pleased with the results so far. For use in that game and others, I created an Excel-based 4th edition Combat Record Sheet (attached here and in the downloads section). 

Would love to get your suggestions on how best to run Champs on Roll20. Together we can SMASH COVID-19 like Obsidian stepping on a grape!

Steve "Koop" Kuperberg

Champions GM 1989-91 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, presently Bethesda, MD

ChampionsCombatSheet.xlsx