Dome City

steriaca

Great ideas guys.

Here is the how The Skull and The Skulls are able to slip through the energy barrier. The Skull agents all have a switch on there belts, hidden by the skull shape buckle. Once switched, it stays on for as long as it takes for them to run (not walk) through the barrier. This creates an energy single that matches the barrier. The Skull himself can turn on and off the switch at will, so there is no need for him to run through (unlike his agents, where it automatically turns off).

How does this help our heroes? It involkes the Troup "steal the guards clothes". Also, blasters might be able to mimic the energy pulse to get past the barrier. Once there, the hero could destroy the power battery. Once down, the entire system could dasy chain meltdown like a Christmas tree with obe burnt out light.

Good enough.

Tell me what you think of this, then:

Pollutant X, which is ultimately responsible for ninja bear's MuckMan and the start of the investigation for the Raven, is in fact a byproduct of the creation of the super-battery that the Skull is using to power the Dome.  

Let's move back ten years.

Leonard, who will become The Skull, becomes the owner of a great idea: a revolutionary new super-battery technology.  ---  Break--  How does he get it?  Does he design it?  Does he find it?  Does he steal it?  Is it the result of genius inspiration, or is the an alien artifact he stumbled across while living in the old mines, on the run from the mob some years before?  Even if it is not his design, I believe we are in agreement that he is smart enough to understand the principles behind it and recognize its value and its potential.

So he has come here, to Hepzibah, drawn by its reputation as an up-and-coming center for technological advancement, the city's then-new focus on supplementing and eventually replacing their traditional power production with as much "green energy" as possible.   If he can't find backers here, then he won't find them _anywhere_.

He couldn't find the backers he'd hoped for.  He was actually quite shocked to discover that none of the tech firms he approached, including up-and-coming high-profile pioneers Company 3 (think Elon Musk's outfit: stay in the public eye, and be as flashy as possible) turned him down cold.  Plans were one thing; anyone could show up with indecipherable plans and claim they yielded a whole new angle on energy storage and retrieval.  Show us something we can _use_.  Explain the science.  Fearful of having the idea taken from him, he refused to explain it, and promised instead to return with a working pro type for testing.

Unable to find backing from a populace already used to being taken by "high tech con men," he turned toward the criminal element, and found his funding.  The things he had to agree to do, though....   But this is not that story.  This is Leonard's story.  Upon completion of the first batch of super-batteries, he took them around again to potential users and investors, all of whom were impressed.  Safe to produce and handle (thus far), and capable of storing upwards a thousand amp hours in something the size of a deck of cards with a weight of mere ounces....  Retrieval of the power was equally impressive: the battery would handle any draw up to full and nearly instantaneous discharge, much like a capacitor, with none of the downfalls of that particular device.  There was little doubt that overnight, the electric vehicle industry could be revolutionized!

Unfortunately for Leonard, that's just what happened.  But it happened without him.  While he haggled for a partnership deal, the syndicate from whom he had borrowed the money simply seized the remaining batteries and sold them for millions.  Then they sold the plans to an automobile manufacturer for millions more.  The buyer of the batteries, philanthropist by nature, simply divided them up and gave them to each of the interested tech firms in Hepzibah, and a few months later, they were available commercially.  To date, sales are slow, as there is no solid infrastructure yet for any field in which they would be superior to currently-avaliable technology.  A couple of upstart electric car companies are using them, but the price is extremely high, making them novelty items at best.  The Raven's electric motorcycle is powered by one, and carries three others as spares, "just in case."

Upon confronting the syndicate, Leonard was met with a thorough beating, and the reminder that he should appreciate having his "debt" paid all at once.  Then he was reminded that "brains is a real good thing to have, Doc.  But brains...  well, brains ain't as good as smarts; you know what I mean?"

And that's when he lost it.  That's when he vowed that everyone here-- the syndicate, the tech firms-- the city!  Everyone who stood in his way, who stopped him from demonstrating his genius would be _forced_ to acknowledge it; the stupid and inferior were destined to bow before the genius, and he would move Hell and high water to make sure that the genius to which they bowed would be his.  He would be a king, or he would be dead.  There would be nothing in between.

During his work with his prototypes, Leonard realized that the batteries would store not just electricity, but almost any energy-- thermal, kinetic, radiation-- anything.  And they could be configured to release it in any of a wide variety of forms.  He had in his hands a way to store and release, for lack of a better term, "Tabletop Plasma," and with just a little work, he could control and mould it completely.  (it is these changes to the design that result in the toxic byproduct of the batteries he is currently producing.  This byproduct is responsible for his hair loss and gaunt appearance).  Fearing the syndicate would return demanding more batteries (foolish, since they had gone so far as to sell the plans), he fled town and set up a shop in one of the abandoned mines in the foothills.

Realizing his need for operating capital, and learning the lessons of the criminal element, he began to manufacture drugs and recruit small time gangs as distributors.  His gaunt face and bald head highlighted by the grime of living in an old mine, combined with his obvious intelligence, the gangs took to calling him "The Skull."  Within no time at all, he had a small empire started, and began to shape his business as work in earnest on his batteries and his plan to break every living person in this city, then the country, then the world.  First, though, he had to finish he exoskeleton.  He wasn't as strong or as fast as those in the syndicate.  Those who had beaten him, humiliated him.  Those who had stolen his rightful recognition as a genius, and possible savior to the modern world.   He wasn't strong enough.  Not yet.  But in just a few more days....

okay, that seems like more than enough for our villain.  Any thoughts? And does anybody want to write him up? Remember that he is the "master villain" of this arc, and with his exoskeleton should be at least a match for two player characters at once; possibly three.    I don't see a reason to do a "lowball" version of him.

8 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Good enough.

Tell me what you think of this, then:

Pollutant X, which is ultimately responsible for ninja bear's MuckMan and the start of the investigation for the Raven, is in fact a byproduct of the creation of the super-battery that the Skull is using to power the Dome.  

Let's move back ten years.

Leonard, who will become The Skull, becomes the owner of a great idea: a revolutionary new super-battery technology.  ---  Break--  How does he get it?  Does he design it?  Does he find it?  Does he steal it?  Is it the result of genius inspiration, or is the an alien artifact he stumbled across while living in the old mines, on the run from the mob some years before?  Even if it is not his design, I believe we are in agreement that he is smart enough to understand the principles behind it and recognize its value and its potential.

So he has come here, to Hepzibah, drawn by its reputation as an up-and-coming center for technological advancement, the city's then-new focus on supplementing and eventually replacing their traditional power production with as much "green energy" as possible.   If he can't find backers here, then he won't find them _anywhere_.

He couldn't find the backers he'd hoped for.  He was actually quite shocked to discover that none of the tech firms he approached, including up-and-coming high-profile pioneers Company 3 (think Elon Musk's outfit: stay in the public eye, and be as flashy as possible) turned him down cold.  Plans were one thing; anyone could show up with indecipherable plans and claim they yielded a whole new angle on energy storage and retrieval.  Show us something we can _use_.  Explain the science.  Fearful of having the idea taken from him, he refused to explain it, and promised instead to return with a working pro type for testing.

Unable to find backing from a populace already used to being taken by "high tech con men," he turned toward the criminal element, and found his funding.  The things he had to agree to do, though....   But this is not that story.  This is Leonard's story.  Upon completion of the first batch of super-batteries, he took them around again to potential users and investors, all of whom were impressed.  Safe to produce and handle (thus far), and capable of storing upwards a thousand amp hours in something the size of a deck of cards with a weight of mere ounces....  Retrieval of the power was equally impressive: the battery would handle any draw up to full and nearly instantaneous discharge, much like a capacitor, with none of the downfalls of that particular device.  There was little doubt that overnight, the electric vehicle industry could be revolutionized!

Unfortunately for Leonard, that's just what happened.  But it happened without him.  While he haggled for a partnership deal, the syndicate from whom he had borrowed the money simply seized the remaining batteries and sold them for millions.  Then they sold the plans to an automobile manufacturer for millions more.  The buyer of the batteries, philanthropist by nature, simply divided them up and gave them to each of the interested tech firms in Hepzibah, and a few months later, they were available commercially.  To date, sales are slow, as there is no solid infrastructure yet for any field in which they would be superior to currently-avaliable technology.  A couple of upstart electric car companies are using them, but the price is extremely high, making them novelty items at best.  The Raven's electric motorcycle is powered by one, and carries three others as spares, "just in case."

Upon confronting the syndicate, Leonard was met with a thorough beating, and the reminder that he should appreciate having his "debt" paid all at once.  Then he was reminded that "brains is a real good thing to have, Doc.  But brains...  well, brains ain't as good as smarts; you know what I mean?"

And that's when he lost it.  That's when he vowed that everyone here-- the syndicate, the tech firms-- the city!  Everyone who stood in his way, who stopped him from demonstrating his genius would be _forced_ to acknowledge it; the stupid and inferior were destined to bow before the genius, and he would move Hell and high water to make sure that the genius to which they bowed would be his.  He would be a king, or he would be dead.  There would be nothing in between.

During his work with his prototypes, Leonard realized that the batteries would store not just electricity, but almost any energy-- thermal, kinetic, radiation-- anything.  And they could be configured to release it in any of a wide variety of forms.  He had in his hands a way to store and release, for lack of a better term, "Tabletop Plasma," and with just a little work, he could control and mould it completely.  (it is these changes to the design that result in the toxic byproduct of the batteries he is currently producing.  This byproduct is responsible for his hair loss and gaunt appearance).  Fearing the syndicate would return demanding more batteries (foolish, since they had gone so far as to sell the plans), he fled town and set up a shop in one of the abandoned mines in the foothills.

Realizing his need for operating capital, and learning the lessons of the criminal element, he began to manufacture drugs and recruit small time gangs as distributors.  His gaunt face and bald head highlighted by the grime of living in an old mine, combined with his obvious intelligence, the gangs took to calling him "The Skull."  Within no time at all, he had a small empire started, and began to shape his business as work in earnest on his batteries and his plan to break every living person in this city, then the country, then the world.  First, though, he had to finish he exoskeleton.  He wasn't as strong or as fast as those in the syndicate.  Those who had beaten him, humiliated him.  Those who had stolen his rightful recognition as a genius, and possible savior to the modern world.   He wasn't strong enough.  Not yet.  But in just a few more days....

okay, that seems like more than enough for our villain.  Any thoughts? And does anybody want to write him up? Remember that he is the "master villain" of this arc, and with his exoskeleton should be at least a match for two player characters at once; possibly three.    I don't see a reason to do a "lowball" version of him.

Great backstory.

If you read up, I talk about the fact that he is a mutant (his mutation is relatively minor...about 30 INT, 30 EGO, 20 Mental Defense). And I talked about his helmet/mask (designed to appear like a skull). I'm game for an exoskeleton (lets say it increses his normal 6 STR to 35 STR, 8 DEX to 33 DEX, good defenses, personal force field). He designed the exoskeleton himself, and it operates on his battery (buying 0 END on all powers which cost END). To make maters worse for heroes, he carries an empty battery with him. Shoot him with energy and he will absorb it (Missle Deflection).

His Skull Agents also use these batteries. The batteries power there "Bone Blasters" energy pistols and personal force fields. They are not privy to the boss's trick with an empty battery in his armor.

Leonard refuses to use that name any longer. He is quite insane.

Rumor has it that he discovered a drug which gratly increse natural intelligence by focus, and that at times he can use it to jack his brain up when at a loss for ideas....

42 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Great backstory.

If you read up, I talk about the fact that he is a mutant (his mutation is relatively minor...about 30 INT, 30 EGO, 20 Mental Defense). And I talked about his helmet/mask (designed to appear like a skull).

My apologies; what with my split attentions today, I _did_ miss that.  And the Skull Helmet works well with that.

I'm game for an exoskeleton (lets say it increses his normal 6 STR to 35 STR, 8 DEX to 33 DEX, good defenses, personal force field). He designed the exoskeleton himself, and it operates on his battery (buying 0 END on all powers which cost END).

Yep; that's the plan:  the exoskeleton (which should be white, and vaguely bone-themed, in keeping with the helmet, I think   :)  ) is powered (and spare powered) by two of the four or so batteries that he was caring as samples while the others were stolen.  However, like the other NPCs presented, I think we need to present him in three (at least two) power levels to increase the odds that he will be usable out of the box for new gamers not yet familiar with the ins and outs of the system.  We can always fluff him up a bit in the next adventure, should he get away.  (and honestly, this first time, I think he should, but not the next time he shows up.  Let the players destroy his organization and his plot and arrest his minions and even make his identity known, but let him "slip away" somehow, at least this once.  Though, as before, I will defer to your own conception of your plot.)  Given the Force Field and Missle Deflect combo and 33 DEX, I don't think I'd go too high with his Speed.  We want him to be able to wade through mooks (which was why he built it in the first place-- possibly a _small_ HKA with the SFX of really sharp distal phalanges?  That might be how he wrecked the syndicate prior to the creation of the helmet...), and we want him to be able to stand up easily against at least two heroes at once, but the idea here (I think) is to teach the new players teamwork and coordinated attacks as opposed to teaching them that their characters are....  lacking....   ;)

Oh-ho!  There we go.  That's the McGuffin from the first encounter with the Skulls:  the Skulls are stealing a rare and precious alloy that the Skull needs to make more of the original-style batteries.  As he has a spare, and as his men have sufficient "ammo" for the siege of Hepzibah, it's a low priority for him, but the opportunity presented itself to both acquire it and deal a massive financial blow to one of the "thieves" who were given a battery prototype by the philanthropist who bought them from the syndicate.

How's that work?

His Skull Agents also use these batteries. The batteries power there "Bone Blasters" energy pistols and personal force fields. 

Variable SFX to represent the different ways the energy can be discharged?  Or no?  I can understand no, at least at this point, as it does call for a bit of mid-combat power design every time they turn the dial, and even offering a "list of presets" is going to add a layer of complexity to what we _hope_ will be brand new players....  I'm good either way.  :)  Of course, I'm also cool with going all Foxbat on them and putting Activation Rolls on their equipment (which might be why the boss wants to make more batteries).

Leonard refuses to use that name any longer. He is quite insane.

I really don't know why, but I am _always_ cool with the insane super scientist.  I suspect that it's _partly_ an appreciation of the trope, partly the fact that I (like so many others) periodically like to fancy that I understand why being super intelligent amongst "normals" _would_ drive you to the brink (I know:  Such hubris....  :(    ), and partly because, well I enjoy the trope, and I respect just how much more dangerous an opponent you can't predict or reason with actually is.  So yeah:  Totally cool with The Skull being a little light on touch with reality.  

Rumor has it that he discovered a drug which gratly increse natural intelligence by focus, and that at times he can use it to jack his brain up when at a loss for ideas....

Hmm...    would possible side effects include slowly going insane?  Is it addictive at all?  That does a couple of things for us, if that is in fact a side effect.  It ties his habits back to who he is if it's a side effect.  If it's addictive, it gives us another disadplication, and-- and I think this is the most important part, really:  it keeps the player characters from being in a real hurry to score a few for their personal use. ;)  

The Skull:

Helmet: The OMCV vs DCV Energy Blast and Killing Attack at 0 END should be enough. The idea of Extra Limbs and Stretching and Telekinesis is silly when we have his exoskeleton. First level, 75 points, second level 90 points.

Exoskeleton: Your basic "power armor" without the various energy blasts. Increses his physical abilities, provides two levels of defense, plus the Missle Deflection ("energy absorption" is merly a special effect). The second level of his stats adds Reflection to this also (instant absorption and release of energy via the empty battery). First level 20 defences, second level 30 defences.

The Drug: An Aid to INT with the side effect of dependance. Skull himself already has the physical limitation of adiction to it. Prehaps also dependence (diminished INT when he can't take it).

His vast intelligence is his "mutant power", and the drug he feals gives him an edge intelligence wise. He was already an unstable person, the drug even more so.

How does "the evolved" sound like, as a replacement for "mutant"?

Battery: It might be a complicated build, but prehaps the battery can be grabable in combat (seperate 0 END on a IAF Focus). He is wise enough to have as back-up power supply, and is wise enough to know to get away as soon as possible once the battery is removed. He could also rig his battery to explode...later, when he returns.

Skull Agents (the Skulls):

Two levels of protection (standard armored uniform backed up by a small force field of 0 END).

Bone Blaster: It's a simple Energy Blast at 0 END. Note, the battery which powers the gun and the force field is inside the right glove. This, disarming the gun doesn't risk the heroes discovering the secrets of the battery.

And, with the exception of some minor powers (flash defences, some minor mental defense which mentalist can rip aside if they focus upon it), and your set.

Battery: While it is a lesser version of the battery which powers The Skull, it is based upon his own battery. It won't last forever, but should hold a charge for 50 years even with heavy use.

We don't need two levels of agents. If the players need more of a challenge, simply add more agents, or even a super to back them up.

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yep; that's the plan:  the exoskeleton (which should be white, and vaguely bone-themed, in keeping with the helmet, I think   :)  ) is powered (and spare powered) by two of the four or so batteries that he was caring as samples while the others were stolen.  However, like the other NPCs presented, I think we need to present him in three (at least two) power levels to increase the odds that he will be usable out of the box for new gamers not yet familiar with the ins and outs of the system.  We can always fluff him up a bit in the next adventure, should he get away.  (and honestly, this first time, I think he should, but not the next time he shows up. 

He could also be a super-intelligent criminal mastermind without significant combat powers, and develop the Skull-Helmet for the next time he shows up.  Or he could have the Skull-Helmet now and design the exo-skeleton for his next appearance.  He seems to be (d)evolving into a standard Power Suit Character.

Given the Force Field and Missle Deflect combo and 33 DEX, I don't think I'd go too high with his Speed.  We want him to be able to wade through mooks (which was why he built it in the first place-- possibly a _small_ HKA with the SFX of really sharp distal phalanges?  That might be how he wrecked the syndicate prior to the creation of the helmet...), and we want him to be able to stand up easily against at least two heroes at once, but the idea here (I think) is to teach the new players teamwork and coordinated attacks as opposed to teaching them that their characters are....  lacking....   ;)

I'm not sold that he needs a 33 DEX (or enhanced STR, for that matter), but this depends on campaign norms to be set.  Even trimming the Skull Mask back to that mOCV vs DCV attack suite (perhaps with an AoE option, maybe a No Range Cone, tacked on), and solid defenses (a force field, given his agents'  equipment and the Dome plan) would make him more than a match for mob thugs.  Keeping his attacks modest, but high defenses, would both provide a need for teamwork, and the time to realize and implement it.

Variable SFX to represent the different ways the energy can be discharged?  Or no?  I can understand no, at least at this point, as it does call for a bit of mid-combat power design every time they turn the dial, and even offering a "list of presets" is going to add a layer of complexity to what we _hope_ will be brand new players....  I'm good either way.  :)  Of course, I'm also cool with going all Foxbat on them and putting Activation Rolls on their equipment (which might be why the boss wants to make more batteries).

Why not give the Skull vSFX - let him tune his attacks, but his minions just have basic blaster-type tech.  Being able to target weaknesses will make the Skull a bigger threat, and further set him apart from his mooks.

I'd avoid a lot of activation rolls simply because it slows the game down.

I really don't know why, but I am _always_ cool with the insane super scientist.  I suspect that it's _partly_ an appreciation of the trope, partly the fact that I (like so many others) periodically like to fancy that I understand why being super intelligent amongst "normals" _would_ drive you to the brink (I know:  Such hubris....  :(    ), and partly because, well I enjoy the trope, and I respect just how much more dangerous an opponent you can't predict or reason with actually is.  So yeah:  Totally cool with The Skull being a little light on touch with reality. 

It also provides some basis for "plot holes" - he didn't see them in his grandiose scheming.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

The Skull:

Helmet: The OMCV vs DCV Energy Blast and Killing Attack at 0 END should be enough. The idea of Extra Limbs and Stretching and Telekinesis is silly when we have his exoskeleton. First level, 75 points, second level 90 points.

Exoskeleton: Your basic "power armor" without the various energy blasts. Increses his physical abilities, provides two levels of defense, plus the Missle Deflection ("energy absorption" is merly a special effect). The second level of his stats adds Reflection to this also (instant absorption and release of energy via the empty battery). First level 20 defences, second level 30 defences.

If we have provided sufficient guidance about power levels for the PCs, we should have a pretty solid idea of the DCs, CVs, etc. likely in play.  Shouldn't we then be able to gauge appropriate power levels? 

Keep in mind that Missile Deflection requires an action.  It's Block-based, so he may need Deflection modified to use mOCV.  Limiting the types of attacks may also be relevant.  Can the battery absorb the energy of a thrown rock (mystic hammer; unbreakable shield)? 

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Skull Agents (the Skulls):

Two levels of protection (standard armored uniform backed up by a small force field of 0 END).

Bone Blaster: It's a simple Energy Blast at 0 END. Note, the battery which powers the gun and the force field is inside the right glove. This, disarming the gun doesn't risk the heroes discovering the secrets of the battery.

And, with the exception of some minor powers (flash defences, some minor mental defense which mentalist can rip aside if they focus upon it), and your set.

Battery: While it is a lesser version of the battery which powers The Skull, it is based upon his own battery. It won't last forever, but should hold a charge for 50 years even with heavy use.

We don't need two levels of agents. If the players need more of a challenge, simply add more agents, or even a super to back them up.

If I were going to add variant Agents, I'd probably use variant gear such as different weaponry, perhaps movement or other powers designed for specific purposes.  I would not give them a suite of defenses - let them get Flashed and Mental Blasted.  Perhaps we augment them later in the scenario (Ch 2) for PC abilities which have proven extra-effective.  Give the GM a point budget and some extra Skull-designed gadgets to choose from.

The importance of variety in the agents depends a lot on how frequently they will be encountered, and what other story elements may bring variety to those encounters.

23 hours ago, steriaca said:

Thank you. That is the perfect place for this to happen. Small enough not to be noticed, but big enough to gather good data as a dry run to more important targets. If The Skull succeeds in this, and likes the data, and can create another dome projector, then cities which matter will be next.

Coming back to this, I question whether anywhere will not be noticed.  Here, Duke has suggested technology, tourism, and agricultural trade are the main industries.  So how does a city with a bunch of tourism escape notice when suddenly domed off?  Even if it's just a tech town, don't its residents have cell phones and internet access (which, when cut off, make it noticable than no communication is going in or coming out)?  Do none of its businesses report to out of town management?  If it needs regular supplies, isn't it noticed when the supplies can't be delivered due to the Dome?

I think "what is the response from outside?" is a Chapter 2 issue - the Ch 1 "dome is up" time is short enough that the outside world is only just becoming aware of the issue.  The Skull not thinking of this bigger picture can be an outgrowth of his sanity issues - the possibility that, say, the Gov't would not simply recognize his superiority and cede control once faced with his amazing Dome just never occurred to him.  Possibly leading to a climax (Ch 3?) in which "if I can't have Hepzibah, no one can" and the heroes need to prevent the Dome being overloaded and destroying all within it (if the Skull is missing, presumed dead, on his defeat, so much the better - Skull v2.0 can show up later).

Good morning, Hugh. 

Kind of pressed for time, but let me first say "good thoughts." 

And you're right: we don't want him to just be another chromium casket.  I had originally pictured the creation of the exo suit as bolstering his weakened physique (from playing with poison) and allowing him to wade through the gun-toting mob. 

I will see what I can do a out shifting that focus: making it more of an actual prosthesis. (though I do like the missile deflection being part of the skeleton; we'll see how that plays)  while the bolstered abilities are a function of his mind-expanding helmet. 

In the short (you're welcome.  You are _all_ welcome!  Do you know how hard that is- keeping it half a page or so?!  :rofl: )  I think I touched on the various e e ergies the batteries could store and discharge.  If u didn't mention ki etic energy, I certai ly meant to.  However, missile D is a heck of a defense, particularly at the "reflect everything" level.  Might want to give it a low roll or perhaps a DC cap on what is "too much to absorb.". We'll need to think on that.

Anyway, gotta run: gotta get set up for the youth group game. 

Duke 

More on Skull Agents:

A perfect back-up weapons would be "Skull Grenades", skull shaped devices an agent can toss and cause damage over an area. They are not typical "explosive" grenades, but reusable storage devices which unleash energy over a wide area without harm to the device. They can be set to go off on impact, over time, or via single.

A secondary agent would be the "Bones". They also carry Bone Blasters, but they are martial artist, and up close use bone shaped clubs as weapons. They are not given the Skull Grenades at all.

A third agent type are "heavy". Instead of the Skull Gernades, there Bone Blasters have been modded to "go up to 11".

Heavy agents should be left out of the scenario, and be reserved for his return.

Oh, also meant to add this:

I live in Vidalia, GA. 

Our #2 industry is tourism. 

It's a fair bet, other than me mentioning it before, that you've never heard of it.  ;)

Still, unnoticed does not mean invisible. 

Here's another one:  Vidalia is one of three cities in the entire nation that produce the entire supply of domestically-grown sweet onions (the rest come from Brazil). 

I'm betting that doesn't ring any bells, either.  (for what it's worth, that's our #1 industry). 

Before the late 80s, how many people outside the tech industry had heard of Silicon Valley? 

Again, having a niche doesn't make you famous.  Sometimes it just means you have the right conditions., period. 

Getting even more "on the radar:" 

This one is an interesting survival fact:  if you live in the coastal empire, Toombs County (home of Vidalia) is the "minimum safe distance" for hurricane bug-outs.  The interstates are all turned into one-way streets headed north and east, and you can't get off of them until you get to at least here.  At one time or other, easily one fourth of the state east of us has been to Vidalia, if only for gas. 

We"re still not famous. 

Our massive onion industry:

Not too many years ago,  a gentleman named R. T.  Stanley was- by leaps and bounds- the number one onion producer in the world (in terms of a single-person ownership), and the largest land owner in this and a couple of other adjacent counties. 

Just within the last ten years, that changed.  He sold out to Bill Gates.  (yes; that Bill Gates).  We are very close to being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bill Gates.  :lol:

I'm betting even these interesting facts haven't made anyone on this board more aware of our existence.  I'm willing to bet that our famous Onion Festival (which, admittedly, since Bill took over, has been a lot less unique and fun) or being the only city that the Blue Angels have never canceled on doesn't help, either. 

Granted, were not a major metropolis.  But there are cities out there that you just don't think about.  They don't make the news in any significant way.  They are just off position enough to not be trade or travel hubs. They are unique- perhaps even specialized-  but thus far haven't done anything so earth-shakingly extraordinary as to make the average man on the street look up from his YouTube video. 

Done- the kids are coming. 

y'all have fun. 

The villain is great.  Excellent back story, and organization great gadgets. The only problem I see is some of you are slipping back into that “Costume andSpandex” Silver Age thinking. Even Uniforms among gang members would be varied, and use bought and off the shelf components. Yes this is Superheroes, but think how this would look as an MCU style property, not as an 80s comic. The beginning Heroes would be more Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, or early MCU Daredevil. The Skull then is an evil and slightly mad Tony Stark. Sure shiny gadgets and force fields, but also combat appropriate clothing and equipment. Imagine the locations, the NPCextras, props and costumes, as a high budget film, and carry things forward from there. The story so far is excellent ( and we have seen with the KyoAni disaster, how far a wronged man can go), just please keep the art direction straight forward. Cheesy or campy presentation would be box office poison. 

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

( and we have seen with the KyoAni disaster, how far a wronged man can go),

Not until I Google it, I haven't.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

just please keep the art direction straight forward. Cheesy or campy presentation would be box office poison. 

Good advice.  

Let's see what happens.

Ok. The helmet and vest/belt/boots/gloves and Bone Blaster are "mass produced 4-color", the outfits under that are one piece outfits more fitting of Mike Myers (of slasher film fame) then Cob-hydr-per.

No flash anyways. At least they are not wearing black turtlenecks with there crime name written across them.

"Massed produced Four Color?"

Antifa is as close to a Uniform, as I would see a gang adopting.  Subdued, Singe Color street, or shop  clothes, Army Surplus belts, with pouches and accessories. Maybe personal identifiers, like small colored bands, pins or patches. There is an inverse relationship in modern culture, between flashy and competent.   Most of the costumes could be modified or parts removed to blend into crowds. as the helmets are "super-tech". they would be mass produced items. (Guts and electronics made locally, but the shells bulk ordered from China.) Flak vests would be common, as guns are as well in Colorado.  To differentiate a Civilian gang, from a paramilitary, would be a common incidence of non standardized  pants among the group, like Blue Jeans, cammouflage pants, or Dickies work pants. and a wide variation of footwear reflecting personal taste, as well as "roles" and operating area.

Here's a thought; let me know what you think on this:

At the lowest level (distribution and breaking-and-entering level), he has spent time recruiting street gangs.  If he can consistently provide "business" for them, he can hold some sway, or even lure away the more charismatic leaders to form his own gang of street-level operatives. Keeping that idea in mind, how does this strike you for the "street presence" (not the higher agents and private army; just the street level guys):

gang colors.  Nothing special.  Just a certain type or color of jacket, jeans, and maybe a logo or name of some sort-- or even a tattoo over some part of the face rendering that area (around the eye, or the nose, or the teeth under one check) in "skull" art?

It's doable at a street level, it preserves the idea of a gang, and it provides a distinct group identity.

Let me know what you think about that, and I'll be thinking about the actual "agent" level guys and their look.  Though I do like the jumpsuit approach, if only because it gives a paramilitary feel, and they're easy enough walk into a store and acquire without raising any suspicions.

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Here's a thought; let me know what you think on this:

At the lowest level (distribution and breaking-and-entering level), he has spent time recruiting street gangs.  If he can consistently provide "business" for them, he can hold some sway, or even lure away the more charismatic leaders to form his own gang of street-level operatives. Keeping that idea in mind, how does this strike you for the "street presence" (not the higher agents and private army; just the street level guys):

gang colors.  Nothing special.  Just a certain type or color of jacket, jeans, and maybe a logo or name of some sort-- or even a tattoo over some part of the face rendering that area (around the eye, or the nose, or the teeth under one check) in "skull" art?

It's doable at a street level, it preserves the idea of a gang, and it provides a distinct group identity.

Let me know what you think about that, and I'll be thinking about the actual "agent" level guys and their look.  Though I do like the jumpsuit approach, if only because it gives a paramilitary feel, and they're easy enough walk into a store and acquire without raising any suspicions.

Face Tattoos are MS-13 level, the kind of gang that gets Federal attention.  Certain or same jacket is probably the right direction. Sports Jersey, from a non-local, and not well likes Sports Franchise would work as a secondary.  something Identifiable on screen that the audience could pick out if they are paying close attention.

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

(okay, I googled it, and am yet again repulsed by the extent of human anger.  But yes, Scott; that's definitely an example of what even a common nut job can do)

As for Common Nut Jobs looking for revenge, an example with a Superhero angle would be "The Boys" on amazon, about a group of normals banding together against a Justice League Analogue of questionable Morals. it will be interesting to see how the series plays out.

33 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Face Tattoos are MS-13 level, the kind of gang that gets Federal attention.  Certain or same jacket is probably the right direction. Sports Jersey, from a non-local, and not well likes Sports Franchise would work as a secondary.  something Identifiable on screen that the audience could pick out if they are paying close attention.

Right.

I'll leave the decision to Steriaca, of course, but I don't have an issue with it.  Being recognized (at least eventually, since this is the introduction of the criminal mastermind and his group) isn't quite the same as being guilty.  I mean, there are a startling number of Outlaws still operating around Brunswick and Jacksonville, open and publicly.  It's hard to run down US17 or I95 without passing a few.  Until they're caught with their hands in the jar, so to speak, they're only guilty of bad taste and a preference for outdated, unreliable, underpowered equipment.

As for the particular tattoos I'm thinking of, there is still a plausible (if weak) deniability owing to the startling number of their clientele who would sport similar "permanently unemployed" ID cards.  A quick google for "tattoo regrets" will turn up _hundreds_ of "exposed skull" tattoos, most of extremely low quality.

All that at one bag, I don't have too much issue with it,  But again, the Skull and the Skulls are his baby; I'll run in whatever direction he points.

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Getting even more "on the radar:" 

This one is an interesting survival fact:  if you live in the coastal empire, Toombs County (home of Vidalia) is the "minimum safe distance" for hurricane bug-outs.  The interstates are all turned into one-way streets headed north and east, and you can't get off of them until you get to at least here.  At one time or other, easily one fourth of the state east of us has been to Vidalia, if only for gas.

We"re still not famous. 

Now, put an impenetrable dome over the city.  How long do you expect that goes unnoticed?

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Our massive onion industry:

Not too many years ago,  a gentleman named R. T.  Stanley was- by leaps and bounds- the number one onion producer in the world (in terms of a single-person ownership), and the largest land owner in this and a couple of other adjacent counties. 

Just within the last ten years, that changed.  He sold out to Bill Gates.  (yes; that Bill Gates).  We are very close to being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bill Gates.  :lol:

I'm betting even these interesting facts haven't made anyone on this board more aware of our existence.  I'm willing to bet that our famous Onion Festival (which, admittedly, since Bill took over, has been a lot less unique and fun) or being the only city that the Blue Angels have never canceled on doesn't help, either. 

Granted, were not a major metropolis.  But there are cities out there that you just don't think about.  They don't make the news in any significant way.  They are just off position enough to not be trade or travel hubs. They are unique- perhaps even specialized-  but thus far haven't done anything so earth-shakingly extraordinary as to make the average man on the street look up from his YouTube video.

Not being famous and not being noticed if suddenly cut off from the outside world are very different things.  What supplies come in for that onion farming?  Presumably, we could time a dome to avoid the export of the harvest, or an influx or exodus of workers.  As envisioned, our town has numerous high tech companies.  How many universities does it have?  What percentage of its workers come from somewhere else, and regularly communicate with friends and family out of town - until the dome goes up?

okay, a quick google (yeah, google!)

shows a bajillion sports teams (major, minor, mini, and local dealership) and various outdoor outfitter brand name logos that feature some sort of skull.

So "jacket with a matching logo" is pretty easy to do and still stay low-key:  everyone has a jacket that has a skull on it, but it's not necessarily the same skull, nor even the same sort of jacket.  I would think there should be some effort to keeping them more-or-less the same color, however: red, grey, orange-- whatever.  There are shades within that, of course, but again-- it makes it harder to say "_He_ is a Skull," but still relatively obvious that "_They_ are Skulls!"

( I am always tickled by the little poster outside the restroom that reminds WalMart employees how much "freedom" they have in uniform, as they are allowed to buy their knit polyester shirts in any of six shades of blue!  :rofl:  )