Charging Up...

Foxiekins

I have an item I want to try and build in 6th Edition, but I'm at a loss how to do so with the new rules...

It's a hammer, which is a Hand-To-Hand Attack through a Focus, obviously...  But the head of the hammer is also wreathed in flames if it's charged...  Basically, if something is struck by the hammer, any points of Body damage dealt that are reduced by the Target's PD, go to fuel the flames...  In earlier editions of the game, I used Absorption feeding an Endurance Reserve, but the Absorption Rules for 6th Edition don't support that...  I was thinking maybe an Endurance Reserve, with a Limitation on the Recovery, but Hero Designer doesn't seem to be allowing me to put a limitation only on the recovery...

Nothing has really changed on how Absorption works from 4th through 6th Editions; they all literally begin with the same opening sentence... So what's changed that's stopping you from using it?

(I mean, except for the fact that Absorption is designed for incoming attacks, not outgoing as you're describing...)

I would buy the Recovery for the END Reserve to be limited such that it will recover only as much as the BODY damage blocked by opponents PD in the preceding turn. A kind GM might allow you to pro-rate that recovery through a turn based on your SPD.

So, if you buy 16 REC and have SPD 4 you can recover 4 per phase. I would not allow you, in this case, to accumulate REC across phases.

Doc

3 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

Hmmmmm, reading back, It looks like I badly misunderstood how Absorption works...  I can see how the ability functions in my mind, but I have no clue as to how to build it...

It sounds a lot like Transfer. This was its own power in previous editions, but in 6e it's a Linked Drain and Aid.

20 minutes ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

It sounds a lot like Transfer. This was its own power in previous editions, but in 6e it's a Linked Drain and Aid.

Maybe a Triggered Heal END with some seriously reduced recast time? You could bring the cost down by limiting "for the Hammer End Reserve Only" and "Limited to amount of damage absorbed” or some such.

I'm personally tempted to say this is something more in the realm of effect description than needing an actual mechanical description. You don't even have to hurt them, just hit them. How often would you not have the flame running?

But then, my players would smile, nod, and roleplay if they went to attack and I asked them, "It's been a while since you hit anyone with that hammer, do you think it just went out?" The strict mechanics being less interesting. But I'm blessed with players that want to create a story. YMMV.

It's essentially a Damage Shield on the head of the Hammer...  Extra ED damage added when he hits something with the hammer, or just upon contact...  Looking at it, I think the Trigger Advantage applied to the Recovery of an Endurance Reserve may be the way to go...

Flames of the Hammer:  (Total: 12 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) +4/+4d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Conditional Power Must strike a target and the target's PD must stop some damage; (intensity of flame proportional to damage st a topped by PD; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5)

edit:

Okay, now you've clarified....

If you can't beat 'em, burn 'em.:  (Total: 80 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6-1 (3d6 w/STR), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Either PD or ED whichever is lower; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 40)

The more resistant a target is to being clobberred, the hotter the fire burns. The more fireproof someting is, the harder it brings on the blunt trauma. The upshot: target defends with either PD or ED, whichever is LOWER.

Lucius Alexander

Hammering it out with a palindromedary

Describe the attack without using mechanical terms, it might help get the best build-to-vision;

It sounds like as the Hammer is used in combat, if it isn't getting past armor it's flames burn brighter and hotter, dealing more damage to try and break whatever barrier it is set against; also, it hurts to touch it while this effect is in place.

Sounds like Aid to the Hammers fire damage & damage shield., triggered when it hits something, with cumulative effects as it's used more. And a Damage Shield, only on the hammer.

It's not inexpensive, but it is cool.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, Foxiekins said:

I was thinking maybe an Endurance Reserve, with a Limitation on the Recovery, but Hero Designer doesn't seem to be allowing me to put a limitation only on the recovery...

Open endurance reserve.  There should be an edit link next to the Recovery value.  It will open a new window for recovery.  Click on Add Modifier.  This will put an advantage or limitation solely on the recovery.

Note this still won't do what you want.  A better idea is probably create an end battery with no recovery and then a limited aid or healing to the end reserve based on body bounced by pd.

3 hours ago, dsatow said:

Open endurance reserve.  There should be an edit link next to the Recovery value.  It will open a new window for recovery.  Click on Add Modifier.  This will put an advantage or limitation solely on the recovery.

Note this still won't do what you want.  A better idea is probably create an end battery with no recovery and then a limited aid or healing to the end reserve based on body bounced by pd.

Aid or Healing will only increase the max amount of END in the reserve, not add END to the reserve...  But thanks for pointing that out...  I can apply the Trigger Modifier to the Recovery now, and Limited by the amount of Body stopped by Defenses...  Awesome...

17 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

Aid or Healing will only increase the max amount of END in the reserve, not add END to the reserve...  But thanks for pointing that out...  I can apply the Trigger Modifier to the Recovery now, and Limited by the amount of Body stopped by Defenses...  Awesome...

Healing will replenish spent end.  So making an end reserve which has no recovery, the reserve would depend on the healing to fill up the end reserve.

Aid increases the amount of end in the battery but in increasing the end, it also give end.  So aiding a end battery which has 10 end in it with 10 points of aid will make that end battery have 30 end.  If the 10 end battery had no end in it, its maximum would be 30 but it still would have the 20 end from the aid in it to be used.

18 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Aid increases the amount of end in the battery but in increasing the end, it also give end.  So aiding a end battery which has 10 end in it with 10 points of aid will make that end battery have 30 end.  If the 10 end battery had no end in it, its maximum would be 30 but it still would have the 20 end from the aid in it to be used.

Not sure if this changed in 6th, but won't the effect of Aid depend on what it's aiding?  That is, an Aid END would refill the reserve while an Aid Endurance Reserve would increase the capacity? 

2 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Not sure if this changed in 6th, but won't the effect of Aid depend on what it's aiding?  That is, an Aid END would refill the reserve while an Aid Endurance Reserve would increase the capacity? 

Correct.

Adjustment Powers, 6e1, 135

"Characters can use them to drain a target of his abilities, restore lost Characteristics (like healing BODY or recharging an Endurance Reserve), or temporarily raise a character’s abilities above their starting values."

So he could recharge the reserve, raise the amount of the reserve or do both. Probably he would want just to recharge the reserve so he would add "Only Restores to Starting Values (-1/2)". And likely Self Only (-1).

- E

Edited by eepjr24
Added page nums