Picard trailer

Bazza

meh...  STD is so far removed from Trek that they should just call it Spacy Stuff.

I don't see this as more than a desperate last gasp effort to save their new Trek by dangling a name and character. But since they have busted continuity so badly, will the character even resemble the namesake? 

Doubtful.

I vaguely remember that he would not be as heroic as his previous incarnation was a selling point?

Google google google....

Yes I found it! 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-treks-picard-series-will-be-a-psychological-look-a-1834668952

Oh wow this is also on their site.. Wowowow... 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-jedi-killed-my-childhood-and-thats-exactly-wh-1821429836

And this!  😵 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-star-trek-show-is-a-chance-to-last-jedi-the-hel-1828200507

This.. Is not going to be good. 

I mean, Picard was not the most heroic and macho character to begin with so if they are going to deconstruct HIM they are going to really have to dig deep to find authors weapons foul enough to character assassinate him. 

His highest point was when he defended the rights of AI with his great speech. Maybe they are going to turn him into an AI hater or something?

11 hours ago, Trencher said:

I mean, Picard was not the most heroic and macho character to begin with

I agree on macho (that was Kirk's schtick), but I would personally say he was the most heroic of the 4 Trek captains I'm familiar with (Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway) simply because he always wanted to settle things nonviolently if it was at all possible.   A good hero, IMHO, knows not just how to fight, but when.

I would argue that Picard is the most cerebral of the Captains (although Kirk doesn't always get the credit he deserves in that respect). In terms of knowing when to fight and how, I'd give that to Sisko.

Kirk was probably the most passionate, Picard the most dispassionate--which makes those occasions where you really get to see his heart and soul all the more powerful.

Janeway was...so consistently poorly written as to defy any kind of comparison with the others, IMHO.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I would argue that Picard is the most cerebral of the Captains (although Kirk doesn't always get the credit he deserves in that respect). In terms of knowing when to fight and how, I'd give that to Sisko.

Kirk was probably the most passionate, Picard the most dispassionate--which makes those occasions where you really get to see his heart and soul all the more powerful.

Janeway was...so consistently poorly written as to defy any kind of comparison with the others, IMHO.

Yeah, Janeway has her good moments, but the writing had her flip flopping so badly in characterization and commitment that she suffers badly.

Now, Rachel Garrett of Enterprise C from Yesterday's Enterprise? I liked the cut of her jib...

but then she had better writers for fewer episodes that made it easier.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, Trencher said:

Another reason is one that Kurtzman himself eludes to—that in challenging the ideals Picard so proudly represents, they are

ultimately reinforced in turn:

Another moron using "elude"  instead of "allude" on the internet. Does this mean the descriptivists are going to change the meaning of the words soon? #GetOffMyLawn.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:15 PM, Pariah said:

I could agree with that. 

Of all of them, Janeway's character really bothers me.  Kate Mulgrew is a really good actress and there were a few VOY episodes that were very good because of her, not to mention the rest of the cast.  But overall the horrendous inconstant writing crushed any hope for a good series. 

https://www.startrek.com/news/picard-wine-bordeaux-sirah

Star Trek has teamed up with the real-life award-winning Chateau Picard vineyard in the Bordeaux region of France to produce a limited supply of Star Trek themed wines in honor of the new Picard TV series.

If Kirk's family had been the one to own a vineyard:

"Wine...the final frontier. These are the voyages of the booze-ship Enterprising. Its ongoing  mission: to explore strange nude worlds. To seek out nude wives and nude civilizations. To boldly go where no bordeaux has gone before!"

Star Trek: Picard Will Be Set Up By Prequel Comic & Novel

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-prequel-comic-novel/

Three issue comic titled Star Trek: Picard - Countdown, will run from Nov 2019 to Jan 2020. Possibly related to the J. J. Abrams reboot movie tie-in prequel comic Star Trek: Countdown. Novel titled The Last Best Hope will be issued a month later.