New Deluxe Character Sheet - Thoughts?

It all depends what you want from the sheet.  There is a need for a long detailed build sheet, that you have and update and is the authority reference for the character but there should also be the play sheet that you can bring to the table and use most of the time with no trouble at all.

I think I did a half page sheet for a character once because someone challenged me to it and I think it does all you would need to sit and play it (as a player).  I uploaded it to the site and, by happy circumstance, it remains there. 

Doc

11 hours ago, assault said:

In fairness, my character builds lean heavily towards simplicity and short skill lists. A more generic sheet might need to be longer - but that splits information across pages, which is a pain.

I also don't include combat maneuvers, aside from those from Martial Arts. That information is easily derived, but it might be easier to do it up front for new players. On the other hand, the more derived information on the sheet, the more cluttered it becomes.

On the other hand, the less derived information on the sheet, the more you're forcing the player to stop and derive information in the middle of play.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says too much of that will derive them crazy

17 hours ago, Trechriron10 said:

How, in the name of the Seven Gods of Design do you accomplish that with HERO?

I'm working on a fancier creature stat block next, but as it sits currently the official one generally take up 1/2 - 3/4 of a page excluding the "fluff".

I believe being able to read and comprehend the sheet is more important than brevity. In order to reduce the info required for HERO onto one page, I would have to use super SUPER small fonts, tons of abbreviations, and likely hieroglyphs to come close to putting the stuff you need on it. But again, this sheet was really targeted at casual and new players.

Most of my current characters are on one sheet. Partly because I use slightly smaller fonts and sheets are custom for each character, not having the hero games logo on the sheet, etc.

All my characters are one-page.  A second page might be used for illustration or more detailed background story.  Because I customize the character sheet for each character, I can adjust the size of each section.  A character with a lot of Skills and few Powers gets a larger Skill section and a smaller Power section.  A martial artist will have many of the standard maneuvers left off the maneuver list.  Let's face it - it's you can do a Martial Block, you're never going to do a regular Block.  If you can do a Martial Strike, you're never going to to a regular Strike.  etc.

And also, I fill them out electronically, not hand-written, so the font can be relatively small, taking up less room on the page, and still be perfectly readable.  A printed 10-point font is big enough to read easily, but significantly smaller than most people write by hand.

And yes, a big bad megaboss, with a crapload of powers and skills and lots of other stuff, would probably take a second page, even with my format.

• 2 weeks later...