Alternate Combat Value - Not Working

Rapier

I'm building a Mental Paralysis. Add Entangle and then as my first step go to add 'Alternate Combat Value.' But when I double click it nothing happens. Select it and click Select and nothing happens. I tried on different characters with different powers. I even created a 1d6 Blast and can't get it to work on any power on any character. I even closed and restarted HD. Then I rebooted. No matter what I do, I cannot choose Alternate Combat Value on any character. This appears to be the only Modifier with a problem. I just checked and I'm using the most up-to-date version 30 May 2019. I would normally post a character but it's happening on ALL characters so I'm not sure how much help that would be. Suggestions? Do I delete HD and download a fresh version?

EDIT: Just deleted HD6.jar and emptied Recycle Bin. Downloaded new version from website. Extracted it to the location. Same problem.

Yeah...other than some general issues Java has had of late (under MacOS) with modal dialogs initially displaying beneath others (they come to the foreground with a click...so it's a triple-click on the Modifier in this case), I'm not showing any issues.

Can you post the trace.log file after the issue occurs for you?

Good news/bad news.

Good news: there are errors in your trace.log files that are occurring during the opening of the ACV dialog.  So no one can use this as proof that you are, in fact, crazy.

Bad news: I cannot replicate the error, nor can I see where it would be occurring in the code (i.e. the code looks right).

The main difference that I can see in how our copies would be running is that you have some prefabs loaded (and prefabs do the darndest things).  Try the following:

1. Unload all prefabs and see if the problem persists.  Alternately, delete the appPrefs.xml file before starting HD (which will reset everything).

2. Either post or send me the prefab files so that I can attempt to replicate the issue on my side.

I unloaded all prefabs (I usually try to open them, use them, and close them, but I think I got lazy). So I unloaded all Prefabs and problem persisted. So I closed HD and opened it up again and still have the problem.

Tried deleting appPrefs...problem persists. Could you maybe create a character with just a 1d6 blast ACV? See what happens when I try and load it?

trace.log

It's really weird. I got not error when opening the file. I can also edit the ACV values (even actually going into the modifier window, not just adjusting from the drop down in the power window). If I remove ACV and click OK, I cannot readd it. Since ACV was already in the file I tried to add another blase and got the error/problem.

So having ACV is fine, but something about adding it to a power is throwing the error.

EDIT: LOL you wanna hop on the train and come over and look yourself? We could grill burgesr! :)

I'm all in for burgers...but the only train near me is freight only BNSF....

I'm digging through the code to see if there's any possibility of a race condition, but it appears to be too predictable an occurrence on your system for that...

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm all in for burgers...but the only train near me is freight only BNSF....

I'm digging through the code to see if there's any possibility of a race condition, but it appears to be too predictable an occurrence on your system for that...

Hah we at the end of the BNSF commuter. I've tried everything I can think of (even the silly stuff). So let me know if you can think of anything else to try. New version of java?

To keep yourself entertained while I go out and have a beer (before digging back into the code), try setting HD up on a completely separate system and see if the problem occurs there.  That will tell us if it's you and your emergent powers (more or less useless, but still emergent) or just something with your system.

For entertainment value, I'm looking at the following source as the only point that the error could be occurring:

public void setSelectedOption(Adder option) {
		if (option != null) {
			long id = option.getID();
			option = (Adder) option.clone();
			option.setID(id);
		}
		Adder oldOption = selectedOption;
		selectedOption = option;
		if (oldOption != null && selectedOption != null
				&& oldOption.getXMLID().equals(selectedOption.getXMLID())
				&& !oldOption.isFixedValue()) {
			selectedOption.setBaseCost(oldOption.getBaseCost());
		}
		if (options != null && option != null) {
			for (Adder o : options) {
				if (o.getXMLID().equals(option.getXMLID())) {
					o.setSelected(true);
				} else {
					o.setSelected(false);
				}
			}
		}
		if (option == null) {
			return;
		}

Looking to change that to pull the null check up a bit (even though it's replicated in each of the if blocks beforehand)....

public void setSelectedOption(Adder option) {
		if (option != null) {
			long id = option.getID();
			option = (Adder) option.clone();
			option.setID(id);
		}
		Adder oldOption = selectedOption;
		selectedOption = option;

if (option == null) {
			return;
		}

if (oldOption != null && selectedOption != null
				&& oldOption.getXMLID().equals(selectedOption.getXMLID())
				&& !oldOption.isFixedValue()) {
			selectedOption.setBaseCost(oldOption.getBaseCost());
		}
		if (options != null && option != null) {
			for (Adder o : options) {
				if (o.getXMLID().equals(option.getXMLID())) {
					o.setSelected(true);
				} else {
					o.setSelected(false);
				}
			}
		}

Back now.  New update posted that might fix the issue.

Rather than saying that all I've done is the minor little fiddly change shown above, I'll say that I've done strange and mysterious things that are not for the uninitiated (or the faint of heart).

If that does what I expect, then you'll still have the problem and I'll have to keep digging...

I can reproduce the error.  I ran HD from the terminal (Ubuntu Linux) using "java -jar HD6.jar" so I could see any errors thrown.  I followed the OP's steps and wasn't able to add ACV to Entangle.  This is the error message from the terminal window:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.jruby.ext.posix.util.FieldAccess (file:/home/administrator/Desktop/HD/HD6.jar) to field java.io.FileDescriptor.handle
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.jruby.ext.posix.util.FieldAccess
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Good luck with this.

EDIT: Problem is fixed in the new version.

EDIT 2: The above error occurs immediately after running HD.  It probably has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Back now.  New update posted that might fix the issue.

Rather than saying that all I've done is the minor little fiddly change shown above, I'll say that I've done strange and mysterious things that are not for the uninitiated (or the faint of heart).

If that does what I expect, then you'll still have the problem and I'll have to keep digging...

IT WORKS!! I've so been there before though. You change something that 20 years of experience and more coursework that you can shake a stick at tell you should make no difference, yet it does. Thanks for digging into this for me. I owe you a burger! :)