Reflecting HTH attacks

Darkhope

I know you can’t do it with missile deflection. I have a player that wants to have a power where any melee attacker has his attack hit him as well, like a damage shield. But there are many different types of attacks. I was thinking maybe a naked advantage damage shield on so many active points but limited to duplicating the attack that was made against him? Just not entirely sure a naked advantage can be that versatile. Any help is appreciated

Letting people buy the ability to reflect HTH instead of ranged attacks isn't going to break anything.  If I were GMing I'd just let them buy it. 

Yeah I've always ignored that restriction.  If you can do it to a ranged attack, you ought to be able to with a melee one.  The distance of the attack should be irrelevant.  I do not understand why that was built into the power to begin with, am I missing something key here?

Yeah, I think removing that restriction in appropriate cases is the easiest option. Here's how I did it for an NPC whose invulnerability was her main power:

34    Invulnerable Skin: Reflection Versus HTH Attacks (90 Active Points’ worth) Constant (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Always On (-1/2); Feedback (-1), Not Versus Chokes, Grabs/Grab Bys, Throws, or No Range Attacks Not Involving Impact (-1), Side Effects (ranged projectile attacks that hit character always ricochet; -1/2)

On 7/25/2019 at 11:05 PM, Darkhope said:

I know you can’t do it with missile deflection. I have a player that wants to have a power where any melee attacker has his attack hit him as well, like a damage shield. But there are many different types of attacks. I was thinking maybe a naked advantage damage shield on so many active points but limited to duplicating the attack that was made against him? Just not entirely sure a naked advantage can be that versatile. Any help is appreciated

Guys, Darkhope never said the HTH damage wouldn't hurt him, just that "any melee attacker has his attack him him as well, like a damage shield." That being the case, I don't think HTH Missile Deflection fits since a successful roll deflects all damage from the character. 

If he doesn't take damage, sure, go with HTH Deflect. If he still takes damage (as well as the attacker), a damage shield is appropriate, maybe something like a cosmic power pool with the limit: only to match damage hitting him.

6 minutes ago, Tech said:

Guys, Darkhope never said the HTH damage wouldn't hurt him, just that "any melee attacker has his attack him him as well, like a damage shield." That being the case, I don't think HTH Missile Deflection fits since a successful roll deflects all damage from the character. 

If he doesn't take damage, sure, go with HTH Deflect. If he still takes damage (as well as the attacker), a damage shield is appropriate, maybe something like a cosmic power pool with the limit: only to match damage hitting him.

I think you could also do HTH attack, trigger - action that takes no time, resets instantly, activated by being struck.  I believe the Fantasy Hero riposte ability is based on this.