Junior Justice Foundation campaign

Mark Rand

San Angelo, which I'm placing between San Francisco and Sacramento, is one of my favorite cities.  To that end, I'm going to run a play-by-post campaign set there involving the Justice Foundation's junior team, the Junior Justice Foundation.  A club for it has already been set up. 

The teenage heroes attend, in their civilian identities, Taylor Allderdice High School in the University Commons neighborhood.  It's colors are green and white, its mascot is a dragon and Josiah Barnes, PhD, is the school principal.

55 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

Hrm. Not sure on that. Can you use Google Docs? I could try importing it over there, not sure if the macros would be supported.

- E

I got Google Docs. I don't really do so. This is probably going to be my frist time.

aylor Allderdice High School, which the heroes attend, is close to the Tree of Life Congregation.  According to the San Angelo Times, Solomon M. Kaplan is the rabbi, Harry P. Silver is the cantor or chazzan, David Daniels is the executive director, and his wife, Leah, is the educational director.  Anyone passing it would occasionally see the custodian, a blonde woman in a blue top and khaki pants, working outside the building.

The fourth version of The Mickey Mouse Club is taped in San Angelo.  Most of the Mouseketeers attend Allderdice.

Attached is a file with some stuff about it.  Not all of the people at the school are mentioned in it.

TAHS.doc

TAHS.doc

Phase, Version 2

Moved to a multipower model, trying to figure combinations for both variable advantage and variable limitations was too much of a PITA. Will develop a set of standard allocations, defaults and first couple allocations are already noted on the sheet.

Zakai Amias Powell aka "Miles" was born on March 13th, 2003 to Maarit Naeve Owens and Charles Christoper Powell. Maarit was an Egyptian by birth and taught at the local community college. Charles was African American and from did various machining, welding and metal work jobs. Maarit died in childbirth from a rare allergic reaction to the epidural.  Charles did his best to take care of Miles until late in 2009. One day in September, 2009 Miles came home and found the door to their apartment locked. His father had disappeared and has not been heard from since.

Miles spent the next 10 years in the foster system, split between variety of group homes and foster parents. He has been well cared for but as is typical for older boys has not found a permanent family. He has connected with James Lieurance, the CDSS officer who has worked with him for the past 5 years. His current family are the Jidkova's, made up of the father Albert, mother Katherine and their 7 year old son Michael. Miles has been with them for 18 months and has grown fond of them. He even took Russian in 9th grade and is taking it again this year to feel closer to the family.

Miles other interests include science, science fiction and exploring the city when he should be sleeping. He is in mostly advanced classes, but with the exception of his science classes he just does the minimum to get B's so that Katherine will not be upset with him. The Jidkova's know that he is smart and not like many other kids, but they feel akin to him being second generation Russian immigrants and feeling somewhat out of place themselves.

His most recent hobby is ice skating. He became fascinated when the family gathered to watch the 2018 Olympics and he saw the spectacular performances by Zagitova and Medvedeva on the ice. Seeing how excited he was, the family started to make periodic trips to the UC San Angelo Ice Arena for skating.

- E

Phase_v2.xlsx

I posted the following to the main San Angelo thread earlier today.

I'm now envisioning the Samuel Bracket City Park this way.  The southernmost part has The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, a pool, an outdoor ice rink, a lake, picnic shelters, a disc golf course, soccer fields, tennis courts, an outdoor running track, and a softball diamond.  Just north of that is the Riverside Park clone, more athletic fields, a dog park, and places to fish.  The northern end has the city zoo and aviary.  Restrooms, trash cans, and water fountains are scattered throughout the park.

Although there is a vintage car race at Sonoma Raceway, there is some talk of having one, for charity, in the Samuel Bracket City Park.  There is also talk of a go-kart race for charity there.

This is a work in progress. Keep watching this space.

Finally got him to 360.

It would be nice when I'm done if someone converts it to Google Doc.

Lady Heart.

Cost Char Value Roll Notes

8.     Str.     -2.     11- Lift 75kg 1 and 1/2 d6 hand to hand damage, 12m throw

14.    Dex.    8.     12-

14.    Con.    4.     12-

14.    Int.      4.      12-   Perception roll: 14-

14.  Ego.     4.      12-

14.  Pre.      4.      12-   Presence Attack 2 and 1/2 d6

4.  OCV.     5

4.  DCV.     5

6.  OMCV. 6

6.  DMCV.  6

4.  SPD.    20.             PHASES: 3,6,9,12

4. PD.        2

4. ED.        2

10 REC.     6

40 END.     4

10 BODY.  0.                Death Threshold: -10

40. STUN. 10

Characteristic Total: 88 points

Cost Power/END Cost

17   Magical Girl Change: Cosmetic Transformation 1d6 (standard effect: switch clothing to magical girl costume and back),, Limited Target (whatever the character is currently wearing:-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV: -1/4), Extra Time (delayed phase:-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Change Of Heart": -1/4)

And  Magical Girl Change: Shape shift (sight, hearing, touch, mental, smell/taste), One Shape Only (+0),  Reduced Endurance (0 END: +1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV: -1/4), Extra Time (delayed phase:-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Change of Heart": -1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 1 END Cost

(If Rob was born a girl, he could get away with "Instant Change" Cosmetic Transformation. But he is not. So he Shape Shifts along with changing outfits.)

(Increased Stats When Transformed)

13 +10 DEX (14- roll), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

7. +10 CON (14- roll), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

7. +10 PRE (14- roll. +2d6 PRE Attack), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

5. The Force Of Love: +10 PRE (+2d6 PRE Attack), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Limited Power (Only For Love Based PRE Attacks, not for characteristic rolls: -1/2), Unified Powers (-1/4)

(When transformed, he is so aligned with love energy that he can subconsciously use it to increase his presence to convince people to give up hate and embrace piece and love.)

13 +4 OCV, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

13 +4 DCV, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

13 +2 SPD (Phases: 2,4,6,8,10,12), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

47 Magical Girl Love Energy: 70 Point Multipower, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

3u Heart Attack: Physical Blast 12d6, Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Heart Attack": -1/4), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 6 END Cost

(Standard magical girl attack. He traces a heart in the air and pushes it at the target.)

3u Heart Strings: Entangle 6d6, 6PD, 6ED, Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Heart Strings": -1/4), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 6 END Cost.

(He traces a heart into the air and flicks his fingers and it turns into various ribbons.) 

1u Heart Shield: Deflection, Cost Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), No Range (-1/2), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 3 END Cost To Activate.

(If he wishes, a heart shaped shield will float around him.)

1u Magical Girl Flying: Flying 20m (40m Non Combat), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 2 END Cost

(He can fly.)

3u Heart Light: Flash 12d6 vs Sight Sense Group, Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Heart Light": -1/4), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 6 END Cost.

(He traces a heart and then touches it with his pointer finger and it glows brightly but quickly)

3u Healing Heart: Healing 6d6, Simplified, Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Healing Heart": -1/4), Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4): 6 END Cost

(He traces the heart into the air and then takes it and either pushes it to the target like Heart Attack or grabs it and pushes it into the target's body.)

15 Too Lovely To Harm: Resistant Protection 10 rPD, 10 rED, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Limited Power (Not Against Attacks Based Upon Dark Emotions: -1/2), Unified Powers (-1/4)

(Anyone trying to attack him has to get over his transformed beauty to affect him. Attacks based on dark emotions ignore this protection.)

3 A Beautiful Mind Is Too Lovely To Harm: Mental Defense 5, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Limited Power (Not Against Attacks Based Upon Dark Emotions: -1/2), Unified Powers (-1/4)

(See Too Lovely To Harm)

3 A Beautiful Soul Is Too Lovely To Harm: Power Defense 5,  Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Limited Power (Not Against Attacks Based Upon Dark Emotions: -1/2), Unified Powers (-1/4)

(See Too Lovely To Harm)

23 The Magical Energy Of Love: Endurance Reserve 60 END, 20 REC, Only In Alternative Identity (-1/4), Unified Powers (-1/4)

(All her powers taps into the Godstone of Love upon the bracelet on his left wrist, including the energy to power them. Normally the stone can not be removed. It is normally only visible to others with magical powers of there own.)

Power Total: 193 points

Perks:

3. Access: Justice Foundation Headquarters

4. Link: Justice Foundation Computer Network

27 Contact: Justice Foundation super team and think tank

1 Fringe: Police Trainee

1 Money: 100k/year

2 Fringe: Geek (Otaku) Clique

Perks Total: 38 points

Skills:

3 Expert (Japanese Pop Cult)

3  KS: Japanese Popular Culture: 13- (INT)

3 KS: Japanese History: 13- (INT)

3 KS: Japanese Popular Fashion: 13- (INT)

3 KS: Anime And Manga: 13- (INT)

1 Language: Japanese (Fluent Conversation w/American Accent)

3 Charm: 12-/14-

3 Conversation: 12-/14-

3 Persuasion: 12-/14-

3 Power: Godstone Magic: 12-/14- (PRE)

3 PS: Dancing: 12-/14-

3 PS: Singing: 12-/14-

3 PS: Student: 12- (INT based)

3 KS: Geek Culture: 12- (INT based)

Skills total: 41 points

Grand Total: 360 points

Complications: 300+

DNPC: Mother and Father (Normal, Infrequent, Group) 15

(His parents don't know he is Lady Heart.)

DNPC: Girlfriend (Sharon Mariko Tanaka) and Girlfriend's Mother (Tanaka-san) (Normal, Infrequent, Group) 15

(His girlfriend, a Japanese native who moved to the states at a young age, and her mother do know Rob is Lady Heart. She is a skilled dancer, and has been taged for the Mickey Mouse Show to represent the aisan-american population on the show. Rob, on the other hand, is there new Teen Adviser, a position created by the Walt Disney Company and the Justice Foundation to hide the stripion he brings home as Lady Heart. Is it just a coincidence that his girlfriend is in the running for being a Mouseketter?)

Distinctive Features (Live Action Anime Magical Girl when transformed) (Concealable, Noticed And Recognizable) 10

Hunted by The Court Of Hate (As Powerful, Infrequently) 10

(The Court, and there queen Queen Nightmara, are her personal nemesis. Queen Nightmara killed the original Lady Heart in order to corrupt her Godgem, but she sent it to Earth with a servant before her untimely demise.)

Hunted by Lady Heart's Rouge Gallery (As Powerful, Infrequently) 10

(DEMON, Talisman, the Devil's Advocate, and the Dark Kingdom/Dark Agency goes here [The Dark Agency is from Coadname SailorV], along with VIPER and Mister Wicked [a man so enraptured by Lady Heart's beauty that he plots elaborate kidnapping of him, like out of some really bad melodrama play])

Psychological Complication: Code Of The Hero (Common, Total) (20)

(He will kill if needed, but like a good hero he would rather avoid it, thank you very much.)

Social Competition: Otaku Geek (Frequently, Minor) (10)

(He is an otaku. Nuff said.)

Watched by the Walk Disney Company ("Unka Walt") (More Powerful, NCI, Infrequently, Watching) (10)

(Walt Disney Company is one of the Junior Justice Foundation sponsors. But more importantly, his girlfriend is a candidate for a Mouseketter. And Unka Walt has a Purity Contract to all there underage stars. And Rob had to sign one also.

So, Unka Walt says you can have a boyfriend, but don't do anything but light kissing and hugging, OR ELSE!)

Social Competition: Beholden To Junior Justice Foundation Sponsors As Lady Heart (Frequently, Minor) (10)

(When Unka Walt says jump, Rob asks how high. Same with Unka Stan, Unka George, and whoever is CEO of Pixar today. And any other sponcer.)

Watched by the Sailor Scouts (As Powerful, Infrequent, Watching) (5)

(As said before, Moon thinks Lady Heart might be there princess. Luna wants more information on her. Mercury also wants more information.

We don't know if Tuxedo Mask exists yet. He has done some of his work [OSP*A attack, cram school attack, a few others.].

Note: Lady Heart is not Tuxedo Mask. He is not even close to being a prince of a guy. He is rather more a princess of a guy without being gay.)

Love it. My guess is that your Blaster is going to be a lot more effective generally (more accurate, harder hitting) where I will hopefully be better defended. I don't see my role as a frontliner in any case so that works out for me. You can be flashy and draw all the attention. 😃

- E

12 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

Love it. My guess is that your Blaster is going to be a lot more effective generally (more accurate, harder hitting) where I will hopefully be better defended. I don't see my role as a frontliner in any case so that works out for me. You can be flashy and draw all the attention. 😃

- E

Generally s/he is your generic level magical anime girl (al la Sailor Moon). S/he is a bit more competent starting out than she was when she first started.

You know, Mike originally planed to have the Sailor Guardians to be in this world also. In San Angelo.

And less Usagi and more Serena.

24 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Generally s/he is your generic level magical anime girl (al la Sailor Moon). S/he is a bit more competent starting out than she was when she first started.

You know, Mike originally planed to have the Sailor Guardians to be in this world also. In San Angelo.

I am familiar with the genre and I am somewhat familiar with Sailor Moon, but from a VERY long time ago (introduced to the genre in Japan in the 80's by Princess Minky Momo). I was always more into Speed Racer and Star Blazers. 😃

- E

29 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Yep, probably the first season only.  Other crooks probably would've been added in between show episodes.  Of course, the Dark Kingdom might've been controlling or influencing them.

20 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

I am familiar with the genre and I am somewhat familiar with Sailor Moon, but from a VERY long time ago (introduced to the genre in Japan in the 80's by Princess Minky Momo). I was always more into Speed Racer and Star Blazers. 😃

- E

I'm more a fan of Ranma 1/2 myself (hench, the gender change). My first anime is Battle of the Planets myself, but no, I don't want to play a bird ninja.

16 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Yep, probably the first season only.  Other crooks probably would've been added in between show episodes.  Of course, the Dark Kingdom might've been controlling or influencing them.

Don't forget the Dark Kingdom can always buddy buddy with like minded mystical villains.

DEMON comes to mind easily, but not 5th edition/6th edition.

The Devil's Advocate would work with her if only to promote the Demonolgist's Magical Renaissance. If he realises what Queen Metalia/The Negaforce has planed for this universe, he might reconsider.

Lady Heart's Hunted List (work in progress)

The Court Of Hate: Magical girls from the dimension Teraka, they come on behalf of there queen, Queen Nightmara, in search for the lost Godgem of the original Lady Heart. Oh, and Queen Nightmara is getting 'hungry' for dark emotional energy.

The Dark Kingdom: If Mark would eventually reconsider not having the Sailor Guardians in the game, they would be hunting her also, if minorly. Queen Berly would be after anyone who would disrupt her plans. It is just personal between herself and the Sailor Guardians. (Maybe not enough for a single hunted, but in a group "Lady Heart's Rouge Gallery" hunted way)

The Devil's Advocate: The Demonolgist would want Lady Heart to develop her magic fully as part of his plans for the Nagical Renaissance. Even if it initially means his defeat, in the long run he wins.

DEMON: You know the score. Cultish slaves to evil spellcasters. Nuff said 

4 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Lady Heart's Hunted List (work in progress)

The Court Of Hate: Magical girls from the dimension Teraka, they come on behalf of there queen, Queen Nightmara, in search for the lost Godgem of the original Lady Heart. Oh, and Queen Nightmara is getting 'hungry' for dark emotional energy.

The Dark Kingdom: If Mark would eventually reconsider not having the Sailor Guardians in the game, they would be hunting her also, if minorly. Queen Berly would be after anyone who would disrupt her plans. It is just personal between herself and the Sailor Guardians. (Maybe not enough for a single hunted, but in a group "Lady Heart's Rouge Gallery" hunted way)

The Devil's Advocate: The Demonolgist would want Lady Heart to develop her magic fully as part of his plans for the Nagical Renaissance. Even if it initially means his defeat, in the long run he wins.

DEMON: You know the score. Cultish slaves to evil spellcasters. Nuff said 

I managed to create a character with only one Watched? That's probably a record for me. But I had some many complications that just fit perfectly for him that I could not even get them all in for 75 points, much less leave room for enemies. I guess my slight advantage there will be Phase being an unknown quantity.

- E

12 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

I managed to create a character with only one Watched? That's probably a record for me. But I had some many complications that just fit perfectly for him that I could not even get them all in for 75 points, much less leave room for enemies. I guess my slight advantage there will be Phase being an unknown quantity.

- E

You can always add more complications to Phase. In fact, modern Hero encourages it. Your not getting any points for it, but not everything is about points.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a Rouge Gallery hunted (a hunted repersenting not one but a class of villains).

18 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

I'm giving some thought to having the Sailor Scouts in the game.  If so, they might be the focus.  Sailor Mercury will, because of her mini-computer and visor, be run by the GM.

I would rather have them in the background unless you can get at least four people to play them (five with "sailor earth"). The absolute minimum would be one (a Sailor Moon player, with the GM taking both Luna and Sailor Mercury). The maximum for this 'season' is five (Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Mask/Sailor Earth, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, ans finally Sailor V/Sailor Venus).

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

I would rather have them in the background unless you can get at least four people to play them (five with "sailor earth"). The absolute minimum would be one (a Sailor Moon player, with the GM taking both Luna and Sailor Mercury). The maximum for this 'season' is five (Sailor Moon, Tuxedo Mask/Sailor Earth, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, ans finally Sailor V/Sailor Venus).

No problem.  That way, I don't have to create two other schools.  Most Sailor Scouts attend Colfax Elementary (K-8) which is near Allderdice.  However, Sailor Mars (Rumiko Hino) attends Winchester Thurston, a private school.

6 hours ago, steriaca said:

You can always add more complications to Phase. In fact, modern Hero encourages it. Your not getting any points for it, but not everything is about points.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a Rouge Gallery hunted (a hunted repersenting not one but a class of villains).

heh. Believe me, I know. Phase has a physical complication and a DNPC that are worth no points. I don't think it will really be a problem, enemies seem to crop up either way and I'll manage to upset someone enough to hunt me whether it appears on the sheet or not. If Mark decides he wants me to have one (either rogues gallery or someone in particular that fits) it won't bother me, it just did not seem critical to the concept I was going for. Rather green, not really on anyone's radar enough to have fanatical enemies. Most encounters he has had so far before JJF are as a "masked vigilante" who ties up robbers, car thieves, etc. and calls police from a burner phone.

- E

9 hours ago, steriaca said:

<snip>

1.    Magical Girl Change: Cosmetic Transformation 1d6 (standard effect: switch clothing to magical girl costume and back), Trigger (zero phase action, trigger automatically resets: +3/4), Limited Target (whatever the character is currently wearing:-1/2), Concertration (1/2 DCV: -1/4), Extra Time (delayed phase:-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation ("Change Of Heart": -1/4): 1 END Cost

38.  Magical Girl Change: Shapeshift (sight, hearing, touch, mental, smell/taste), One Shape Only (+0), Trigger (when linked power is activated, zero phase action, trigger automatically resets: +3/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END: +1/2), Linked (to Cosmetic Transformation, greater to lesser, must use both powers, must use if lesser power is activated: -1/4): 0 END Cost

<snip>

I don't see the need for a trigger on either of these powers? Even if you have accidental change. I would also not bother with the linked, just build it as a compound power. It would be something like:

Magical Girl Change: [36 AP] [17 RP] 1 End

1d6 Cosmetic Transform, standard effect, [3 AP] Self only (-1/2), Set effect (Current clothes or Magical Girl Costume), Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [1 RP] 1 End

AND

Shapeshift (sight, hearing, touch, smell/taste, mental), One Shape Only (Magical Girl), 0 END (+1/2), [33 AP] Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Delayed Phase (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)  [16 RP] 0 End

I might have missed an odd corner case, but I think these would be functionally the same. The set effect is probably worth a limitation as well, but meaningless once you hit -1 on a 3 point power.

- E