Blast From The Past Pt. 3 Rogues Gallery #39 Article on Gun Shows

Scott Ruggels

The following images are scans from a Rogues Gallery Article I wrote, in 1994, for the spring issue  (#39). At that time I was emplyed at The 3do Company, and spending a sizeable percentage of my rather opulent Salary at Gun shows. I was, and still am a certifiable gun nut, and at the time was a very active WW2 re-enactor.  The article is a amalgam, and a caricature of Gun shows in California at the time, in the days of the hideous Assault weapons Ban, which spiked the prices on WW2 Firearms at the time. Ian of Forgotten weapons, though has since pushed prices into the stratosphere. But this is a glimpse into the Gun Culture in California, before it's Democratic Supermajority,  when there were comparatively few restrictions on firearms.  These shows may still resemble this in other states, but now adays they are just a fond memory in California.  I present this to you as a useful side trip in a heroic level Modern campaign, and I hope this provides some use to GMs out there:|

lycprN4.png

knW2o3h.png

wHkuZqK.png

vR1aeh5.png

IeyOfqo.png

RUB16bs.png

RH7ZhHT.png

KZeA4vj.png

geXl6ED.png

ifWa886.png

Myi9O2W.png

eDqAh9t.jpg

cMAsacJ.png

lNit107.png

6V4Onfg.png

dz3YBHD.png

p5BczMW.png

SqYFklk.png

O0Hp1np.jpg

QrL0aVj.png

MPjIjQ4.png

CeqQoY6.jpg

sZBiXfC.png

SGloV4L.png

Now the dating shows.  There is really no surplus market any more since the start of the GWOT< the U.S. has gidfted it's Surplus  to it's Middle Eastern Allies, and surplus from before the first Gulf War has become collectible on Ebay, and is therefore cleaned out of Surplus stores, which these days, sell mostly camping and outdoor gear, and Chinese knockoffs of Vintage Surplus, and a few obscure European surplus items.  Heinrich Kriegleither was based on an actual seller at these shows that specialized in Third Reich items. He w3as just hitting 70 in 1995, so if he's still alive, he would be near 100, now, and such items he sould for around $200 back then are now valued in the thousands. Thanks eBay. Ian McCallum of "Forgotten Weapons", has also pushed the prices for firearms up, especially the obscure military  long arms and pistols. If you use these tables, please adjust your prices accordingly.  Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...