Unpopular Opinion Challenge

Ok. Here's one...

Speed Racer  (2008, 40% on RT)

I think folks saw the name Wachowski  attached to it and figured it would be some uber serious Matrix movie but with the IP layered on thin like make up. Instead, it was true to the source material, kid friendly, and fun. A visual treat , not just with bright lights, but scene swaps that harkened to the old japanimation (IIIRC).

And with elements of the classic hero's journey. In the end, Speed Racer's innocence is tested, but he makes it through with his integrity intact thanks to support from friends and family and a never say die attitude.

Racer X  was played beautifully by Matthew Fox and I swear the guy screamed superhero material in all the right ways.

And the state of ninja quality decay is mentioned in movie!

I'm going to say this... this movie achieved what it was trying to, it stayed close to the source material, and it looked great doing it. It is a GOOD movie!

There, that's probably unpopular with some :)

A couple that I found:

Jurassic Park III (2001, RT: 49%/A: 36%): The third installment finally gave us the birdcages from the book, and it's worth it for just that, though it's great to see Alan Grant back, even if he does dream of talking velociraptors. I own it on Blu-ray and digital streaming.

Men in Black II (2002, RT: 39%/A: 45%): Decent sequel to the original MiB. I own it on Blu-ray and digital streaming.

Ones that I like, but are pre-2000:

Runaway (1984, RT: 44%/A: 32%): Gene Simmons chews the scenery as the bad guy.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979, RT/A: 42%): It's grown on me and is in my top 3 Star Trek movies. The score is one of the best ever.

The Shadow (1994, RT: 36%, A: 44%): Pulpy fun, and the music's good, too.

Sahara (38% Tomatometer, 54% Audience score) - I thought this movie was thoroughly entertaining. It ain't Shakespeare, but I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for an adventure movie, and I though this one was pretty fun to watch. (I can understand why the franchise never took off as a result of this movie, though.)

My adult life began well before 2000.  Do I have to look up the movies on Rotten Tomatoes?  Do I have to make sure they're post-2000?  That starts to feel like work.  What is the point of restricting it to post-2000?  And why is Rotten Tomatoes the standard?

After five attempts, thinking of movies I liked that I remember being panned by critics, the closest I could find to qualifying was

8 Heads in a Duffle Bag (1997) 11% Tomatometer, 35% Audience score.

23 hours ago, Hermit said:

Ok. Here's one...

Speed Racer  (2008, 40% on RT)

I think folks saw the name Wachowski  attached to it and figured it would be some uber serious Matrix movie but with the IP layered on thin like make up. Instead, it was true to the source material, kid friendly, and fun. A visual treat , not just with bright lights, but scene swaps that harkened to the old japanimation (IIIRC).

And with elements of the classic hero's journey. In the end, Speed Racer's innocence is tested, but he makes it through with his integrity intact thanks to support from friends and family and a never say die attitude.

Racer X  was played beautifully by Matthew Fox and I swear the guy screamed superhero material in all the right ways.

And the state of ninja quality decay is mentioned in movie!

I'm going to say this... this movie achieved what it was trying to, it stayed close to the source material, and it looked great doing it. It is a GOOD movie!

There, that's probably unpopular with some :)

21 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

A couple that I found:

Jurassic Park III (2001, RT: 49%/A: 36%): The third installment finally gave us the birdcages from the book, and it's worth it for just that, though it's great to see Alan Grant back, even if he does dream of talking velociraptors. I own it on Blu-ray and digital streaming.

Men in Black II (2002, RT: 39%/A: 45%): Decent sequel to the original MiB. I own it on Blu-ray and digital streaming.

Ones that I like, but are pre-2000:

Runaway (1984, RT: 44%/A: 32%): Gene Simmons chews the scenery as the bad guy.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979, RT/A: 42%): It's grown on me and is in my top 3 Star Trek movies. The score is one of the best ever.

The Shadow (1994, RT: 36%, A: 44%): Pulpy fun, and the music's good, too.

My friend and I both loved Speed Racer, though we still argue over whether there might have been some shenanigans in the desert race, lol.

Never saw JP3, but I did like all 4 other movies mentioned by Ternaugh.