4.  True Grit

5.  Hudsucker Proxy

6.  Fargo

7.  Bridge of Spies

8.  No Country For Old Men

9.  Suburbicon

10.  Intolerable Cruelty

7000.  Hail, Caesar!

Of those I've seen Bridge of Spies (which I liked) and Fargo. 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

If you throw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs in there, its gotta be top five.

Burn After Reading was pretty disappointing.

Also you didn't list Blood Simple and The Man Who Wasn't There or the Ladykillers.  I haven't seen The Man, so I can't comment on it, but I really liked Blood Simple and The Ladykillers was all right.

Which The Ladykillers, the Ealing Studios film or the American remake? 

On 8/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Hermit said:

I thought of another one I enjoyed.

Power Rangers (2017)

Okay, there's one gag they didn't need to do...and it wasn't the Krispy Kreme product placement overload... honest to gosh  that was so over the top I honestly thought the director was poking fun at the biz

I don't think it's 'so bad it's good' though it skirts that... it has some truly bold character choices. You want diversity? Hello the first self professed Lesbian superhero on the big screen that I know of. 

You want sterotypes broken? The black guy loves country music... though I'm sure the fact he's autistic AND a Country music lover is totally coincident and not a dig.

It's not for little kids...but it was a 'fun flick' .

Mind you, it was no Speed Racer.

But I liked it. 

I haven't seen Speed Racer, but I enjoyed Power Rangers (2017) as it was shown. 

On 8/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, Starlord said:

Coen Bros films that I've seen 

1.  Raising Arizona

2.  O Brother, Where Art Thou

3.  Big Lebowski

4.  True Grit

5.  Hudsucker Proxy

6.  Fargo

7.  Blood Simple

9.  Miller's Crossing

10.  Barton Fink

11.  Hail, Caesar!

12. The Man Who Wasn't There

13. Burn After Reading

14. Inside Llewyn Davis

Of these only Barton Fink is the one I would not watch willingly

Never was a fan of the Indiana Jones franchise, but I don't expect or demand anyone agree with me. :)

OTOH I'm fond of another film that tends to get hate, Reign of Fire. I don't pretend it's great movie-making, but I'm fond of cinematic dragons, and I thought these were impressive, well conceived and rendered. No question, Matthew McConaughey's performance was 'way over the top, but I found it at least entertaining, and I give him props for taking the risk to play so far out of type.

The problem I have with Temple of Doom is that it doesn't feel like an Indiana Jones film except in small parts.  The rest is some kind of gross-out horror film with Indiana Jones sort of wandering through it, and both Kate Capshaw and that poor kid are so obnoxious they ruin every scene they are in.  Crystal Skull is relentlessly terrible and cringy but at least it feels like an Indy movie.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

OTOH I'm fond of another film that tends to get hate, Reign of Fire. I don't pretend it's great movie-making, but I'm fond of cinematic dragons, and I thought these were impressive, well conceived and rendered. No question, Matthew McConaughey's performance was 'way over the top, but I found it at least entertaining, and I give him props for taking the risk to play so far out of type.

Good pick!  Like the Tribble I too was disappointed at the lack of pitched battles between modern combined armed forces and dragons.  But it was still a decent variation on postapoc.

9 hours ago, death tribble said:

I like the film but what really annoyed me was the expectation. The poster had helicopter gunships against dragons. Did we get that ? No.

But the film is better than some.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Good pick!  Like the Tribble I too was disappointed at the lack of pitched battles between modern combined armed forces and dragons.  But it was still a decent variation on postapoc.

Frankly, they couldn't have credibly shown that kind of fight with the dragons they wanted to use to tell their post-apocalyptic tale. Those fly at a few hundred miles an hour at most. Their flame breath has the range of a high-pressure fire hose. Their hides can be pierced by a harpoon cannon, so artillery or air-to-air missiles should have no problem. Even if they reproduced like Tribbles ;) , they should have been overwhelmed and exterminated.

But just glossing over the "how" of the world getting to that state, let them get to the story they really wanted to film, with cool dragons. :cool:

On 8/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, Starlord said:

Coen Bros films that I've seen - ranked

1.  Raising Arizona

2.  O Brother, Where Art Thou

3.  Big Lebowski

4.  True Grit

5.  Hudsucker Proxy

6.  Fargo

7.  Bridge of Spies

9.  Suburbicon

10.  Intolerable Cruelty

7000.  Hail, Caesar!

I'm hard pressed rating Coen Brothers movies - they're all good. (But I must admit to not having seen Bridge of Spies, No Country, or Surburbicon.)

Hail Caesar was awesome. A wonderful pastiche love letter to 50's Hollywood.