Unpopular Opinion Challenge

Many people -- perhaps most -- treat whether or not they like a movie, which is subjective, as though that's an objective assessment of whether it's "good" or not. There are quite a few movies I respect for the skill and craftsmanship put into them, but don't actually enjoy for their subject matter, style, etc. There are also quite a few movies I realize aren't very well made, but I still enjoy them.

Some films deserve to be slated as bad because of the egos involved with people pushing a product that is tripe or doing a remake and draining all the charm out of it. The Clash of the Titans remake was deservedly slated despite the fact it made its money back and spawned an equally derided sequel. I don't like these films despite the technical achievement because the script is pushing a 'one god' agenda. And the fact that as a result the film is soulless. Immortals is similarly tripe. They don't need to be watched again.

Now I have seen several awfully made films like the Giant Claw, The Creeping Terror and Plan 9 from Outer Space. And I can watch these over and over again because they have charm.

Thought of another one, and it is also a Nicolas Cage one, funnily enough. Season of the Witch. I like it NOT because it is a great move, but because it suggests every Hollywood cliche you can think of about a middle ages movie with crusaders buddies, young woman accused of witchcraft by the church, a semi sleazy clergyman - then ignores them. Neither Crusader buddy (Cage and Perlman) EVER turn on each other, they are true allies the whole time. The members of the church are NOT abusing the woman, it turns out she really is possessed by the devil and is therefore a witch and causing the problems they claim she is.

When my friend and I saw it, we recognized wasn't high art, was overacted etc., but we loved that all the things movies seem to have nowadays, the friend who turns out to be a traitor, of course the church is the real villain, etc. never happen in this movie.

But there are a lot of people I would never recommend this movie too.

in the second Equalizer movie with Denzel, I was so annoyed that the bad guys turned out to be his old army unit and best friend. Sometimes, moviemakers, it doesn't have to be personal bad guys of the heros.

15 minutes ago, slikmar said:

in the second Equalizer movie with Denzel, I was so annoyed that the bad guys turned out to be his old army unit and best friend. Sometimes, moviemakers, it doesn't have to be personal bad guys of the heros.

This was especially inappropriate for The Equalizer, whose entire raison d'etre is protecting the helpless, not cleaning up his own mess.