Evermist?

DreadDomain

37 minutes ago, archer said:

Given that the author is one of the owners of Hero Games and the size of the supplement, I'd guess it was professionally edited and formatted and has artwork.

People are always saying that what HERO needs is more settings books.

Not exactly. 

People want settings/adventures that can be "played out of the box". 

The biggest issue with Hero "settings" and such was they gave info, but the GM was looking at weeks of work before chargen could begin, let alone have a adventure ready to go. 

The question isn't how the product is edited or laid out. 

The question is whether the product is "playable out of the box".

2 hours ago, Spence said:

Not exactly. 

The biggest issue with Hero "settings" and such was they gave info, but the GM was looking at weeks of work before chargen could begin, let alone have a adventure ready to go. 

The question isn't how the product is edited or laid out. 

The question is whether the product is "playable out of the box".

I would even go further.

Is the product appropriately written, edited and laid out?

Does it offer an interesting hook? A reason for the chatacters to play in and interact with the setting?

Does it include a connection to the rules? New templates or races? New talents? How magic works in that setting?

Does the imagery (arts) offer a specific vision of the setting or is it generic or absent?

Is the product playable out of the box?

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

I am SURE someone here would be happy/delighted/desperate to write a review of the product and submit that to several ROG platforms for publication if they were offered the product for that purpose?  

Doc

Or maybe the solution to the immediate question is for someone who has a measurable disposable income to bite the bullet, buy the product, and tell us what's inside.

6 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I am SURE someone here would be happy/delighted/desperate to write a review of the product and submit that to several ROG platforms for publication if they were offered the product for that purpose?  

Doc

I would do that if it were offered. But can't see buying it just for the purpose of doing that when I don't have need of a fantasy setting at the moment.

- E

Not exactly. 

Its a bit of a chicken and the egg thing.  Its tough to have the adventures without the setting, but the setting means nothing without the adventures.  I've tried to work around this by putting out the setting slowly with adventures coming out at the same time, while making the adventures for the setting, but usable generically.  You can use any of my adventures in pretty much any campaign, but there's campaign-specific stuff in them like my herbs and various special metals, etc.

But overall I agree, what GMs and players want most is playable stuff.  Hero has suffered a bit from a flood of foundation and background and a paucity of actual content to play with.  I know, I know "Adventures don't sell well" but I got news for you: gaming stuff doesn't sell well, especially for a game system the company doesn't even support.  And nothing from it ever WILL sell much until there's real content out there to attract players and GMs.

You go into a gaming store or pull up a page on Amazon and all you see are sourcebooks and rules, but nothing to do with them and you're gonna move on.

Here's the incomplete speed-read skimmed it summary:

It's a setting and an adventure.

It's relatively short for an adventure book, but that's due to the setting and bestiary bits.

Formatting is good, but a bit dated in appearance.

Artwork is minimalist and not professional grade.

Setting is haunted forest themed.

The encounter lists & details are good.

The adventure is enjoyable.

I'll take my players through it after our current campaign ends.

I don't regret paying money for it.

It's not going to compete with Pathfinder / WoTC caliber products.  It feels like a labor of love for the die-hard HERO fans.

OK, finished skimming through the book.

Firstly, I like it a lot.  That should be the big takeaway. 

The monsters, though several are lifted from the bestiary and other places, are great.  Especially the new ones.

The NPCs are also quite good.

There are several interesting magic items included.

One issue I had was with the equipment for the NPCs.  They were all done as powers as though on the HERO Designer heroic template.  Weapons do not have STR mins and NPCs are adding full STR to damage output often resulting in a 50% to 100% increase in damage over Fantasy HERO characters using weapons with STR mins.

Ex:  15 STR Character using large axe (2d6k, one-handed, STR MIN: 15) in Fantasy HERO would normally get no additional strength damage and remain at 2d6k. 

In Evermist they will gain +1d6k for their 15 STR as though the weapon were STR min 0 and do 3d6k.

Still, I like the flavor of the book a lot.  I will use it soon.

9 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Here's the incomplete speed-read skimmed it summary:

8 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

OK, finished skimming through the book

A big thank you from me too. 

Based on your comments, I will be buying this.

I will need to read through it of course, but the fact that it sounds like they wrote something for people to actually PLAY gains my support.  And for a game that means paying for a copy.

1 minute ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Yeah. But not like this one. Like the one in my head.

Make the one in my head, guys, and I'll buy it. (I'd tell you what it looks like, but that'd take away the challenge.)

But I left my Telepathy in my other supersuit....