DC Comics may go away as Mad Magazine Has.

All characters are capable (or incapable) of whatever the writer decides/needs at any given moment. It all comes down to telling a decent story. I would argue that having the Hulk be incapable of even budging Superman during a Marvel/DC crossover is poor storytelling. But maybe I'm missing some important context in that story, like some higher-dimension magic/tech protecting Superman at the time or something.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

DC and Marvel have very different "Bibles" that is, different basic rules about how their respective universes work.  Superman has to be the best at everything he does; he's the strongest, he's the fastest, he's the toughest, etc.  Hulk can't be the strongest in that setting.  So if this fantasy came about (and who knows, down the road) there would either have to be a lot of rewriting basic rules, or the universes would have to be kept utterly separate except for specific very special occasions.

But I'd argue this isn't a real obstacle since they routinely abandon the rulebook anyway.  Especially since the move to blood splatter is OK as long as they "meant well" became acceptable. 

I can't remember what year, but there was a Superman set of comics where Superman became a de-facto supers dictator by throwing any super-powered anything that didn't accept the mandate (registration, new law or something I can't recall due to the idiocy of the story) into his version of concentration camp.  No trial or even an attempt at some kind of legal anything.  Superman things you are wrong, off to the camps!

Completely against the concept of Superman.

That was one of my aborted attempts to see if comic had become readable again.  I didn't actually make it all the way thru the issue.

On August 8, 2019 at 11:15 PM, Greywind said:

And you can find the collections/graphic novels in any B&N.

I have no idea where you are, but from my house, I only have to drive an hour or so to find a comic book.  I have to drive two-and-a-half hours to find a Barnes and Noble.  :/

Of the two, I'd rather find the book store, but such is life.  

On August 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM, megaplayboy said:

I still say Disney should buy DC Comics from ATT/Warner, lay out a strategy to merge the two universes through a long crossover event culminating in a relaunch of both universes as a single unified comic book universe.  You'd get 20-30 years of new stories and also address the aging copyright issue since you could intro new elements for old characters.  And of course the movies that came out of it would be outstanding.  But what do I know, I'm just a lifelong comic book fan with a creative writing degree.  🙃

And put the Captain Marvel name _back where it belongs!_

18 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I have no idea where you are, but from my house, I only have to drive an hour or so to find a comic book.  I have to drive two-and-a-half hours to find a Barnes and Noble.  😕

Look at the back of your left hand. I'm about where the thumb joint is.

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Yeah, I remember a Marvel/DC crossover from a long time ago where the Hulk encountered Superman and started pounding on his chest. Superman just stood there like nothing was happening. It was absurd, and rendered the whole crossover exercise rather pointless in my eyes.

That was Bronze Age Superman, IIRC, who was just a skotch below Silver Age Superman.  Nowadays the gap between the characters is narrower.  

14 hours ago, Spence said:

I can't remember what year, but there was a Superman set of comics where Superman became a de-facto supers dictator by throwing any super-powered anything that didn't accept the mandate (registration, new law or something I can't recall due to the idiocy of the story) into his version of concentration camp.  No trial or even an attempt at some kind of legal anything.  Superman things you are wrong, off to the camps!

That's an essential plot element of Kingdom Come, but maybe you're thinking of something else?

6 hours ago, zslane said:

That's an essential plot element of Kingdom Come, but maybe you're thinking of something else?

I actually couldn't say.  I was so underwhelmed I actually tossed in the trash. 

Now I am not saying that everything needs to be all Dudley Do-right.  I enjoyed on of the graphic novels titled... I think it was Executive Assistant.  Definitely not heroes and villains.  More villain and not as bad villains.  But you could not mistake it as being a superHERO comic.  The same story line with known superheroes would be another matter.  Because the characters and brand have established certain expectations in peoples minds over the last 60 plus years. 

On 8/14/2019 at 3:50 AM, Greywind said:

It's a lake/river. Where the US side of the bridge to Canuckia is. Further north is Saginaw Bay. South is the nightmare that is Detroit.

"Detroit - Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten."

I'm lucky enough to live relatively close to Ann Arbor, which has both a B&N and a comic book store (though I've only been in the latter twice - I stopped collecting comics decades ago).

But I get where people are coming from about heroes not exactly being heroes, and the shift in story lines.  For Christmas one year, my daughters bought me two Spider-Man comics (since I had collected several of his titles years before my kids were born).  Of course, each comic was in the middle of a different multi-issue plot, and neither of them was gripping enough for me to want to pick up the other issues in either story arc.  Thankfully, though, neither of them was One More Day.  :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

i think there is a general decline in entertainment over all due to poor writing.  Movie, TV, and Comics all suffer because there is a real disconnect between those who produce content and their audience.

What Cassandra said....

On 8/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, Old Man said:

I see the opposite, actually. There’s better writing everywhere, on TV, in theaters, and in print. And there’s a lot of it. The problem is finding it since there is that much more content available now.  DC/Marvel properties alone have more hours of shows than I could ever watch. And I’m immortal. 

I liked Marvel's early, funnier movies.

"Reality tv" shows don't even deserve the nickname they have. There's very little that's "real" about them. They are "cast" like any scripted show, producers manipulate the cast to generate drama that wouldn't otherwise occur, and the shows are edited to tell whatever narrative the producers want, regardless of how out-of-context or completely fabricated the scenes are. And yet the American public eats that garbage up like the trashy fast-food entertainment that it is.

(And for the record, I don't personally consider game shows to fall into the "reality tv" category.)

19 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think there are a couple different kinds of "reality" shows.  There's the lowest trash like "look at this big familiy!  Aren't they big!??" and then there's stuff like Forged in Fire which I think is brilliant.

I don't consider Forged in Fire a "TV Reality Show".   At least not as the term has been defined for the last 5 or 10 years. 

"TV Reality Show's" have absolutely nothing to do with reality. 

Shows like Forged in Fire are more contests or documentaries than reality show. 

Maybe we need a new term to separate the good from the crap. 

Honestly, I love Forged in Fire as well. It's interesting, but more than that, it shows some of the most sportsmanlike CLASS I've ever seen on TV. Very few of the smiths walk in talking smack about the others, there is almost always a sense of mutual respect between the rivals, and they accept their 'defeat' with grace and dignity you just don't see often. There are exceptions, of course , but as a rule I find myself with much admiration for the majority of contestants for their class and decorum as their skill.

As opposed to the 'how immature whiny and just plain unpleasant can we possibly be' you see on most reality tv