Swords in science fiction -- why?

tkdguy

12 hours ago, GibNawe said:

I had notes for my ATU in which the 'marines' are starport police, enforcers, and repo-men for the interstellar commerce Authority. They use cutlasses in addition to guns. For collecting heads and hands, you see. The bank keeps a collection of severed heads of deadbeats on public display.

Interesting idea! I only use the Marines as security details and boarding parties on naval vessels.The army plays the role of the police in my Traveller universe.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 10:04 PM, tkdguy said:

Interesting idea! I only use the Marines as security details and boarding parties on naval vessels.The army plays the role of the police in my Traveller universe.

I use the Marines in their traditional roles as specialized shipboard and amphibious (but from space) combat troops. Since firing normal weapons can be as deadly to themselves as the enemy, they are also proficient with blades suitable for confined spaces (Cutlass, Short Sword, etc.) and non-penetrating weapons such as shotguns and other firearms with frangible rounds. 

1 hour ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Does this count as a sword?

I guess, although it's more like a glorified torch. It can't parry another sword, although it may melt through it. However, if somebody swung a real sword at full speed, would this be able to melt the blade in such a short time?

Having said all that it reminds me of the protosaber.

11 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I guess, although it's more like a glorified torch. It can't parry another sword, although it may melt through it. However, if somebody swung a real sword at full speed, would this be able to melt the blade in such a short time?

They've done several similar builds, and they'd noted the resemblence to the protosaber.

On 10/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, tkdguy said:

I watched both videos. The build other than triggering my eye twitch at the gratuitous steam punk aesthetic, the build was fascinating.  The use however was...lacking. The heating speed made it a less than poor defensive weapon, and the infrastructure either limited it to five minutes, or feathered it to a oxy-acetylene line and it’s pair of five foot tanks. Facing a wildly waving 1 meter or less torch would be terrifying, but it would allow a defender to run away. Os shoot the torch Wielder.  If you are going to fight in a confined space,?you would do better with a sharpened old school E-Tool. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Sundog said:

I love that reimagination. 

I almost do, too.

Keeping in mind that this was the first movie-- the setup for all the mythos, etc...  without that little speech (strike me down / stronger blah blah blah), Kenobi's death is pointless in terms of plot relevance, and a considerable amount of interest and tension in that scene is lost.  :(

Maybe it's because I'm more of a reader than a movie-goer, but no matter how fancy your effects are, character interaction is where a story is made, and the success or failure of that story will always depend far more on that than the amount of CGI you pump into the visuals.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Maybe it's because I'm more of a reader than a movie-goer, but no matter how fancy your effects are, character interaction is where a story is made, and the success or failure of that story will always depend far more on that than the amount of CGI you pump into the visuals.

Yes, and yes.  Yes a thousand times yes.

The story is something that movie makers seem to have forgotten.  That and good character interaction. 

They do seem to have latched onto the concept of "deep dark grim dark conspiracy", but then failed to realize that a conspiracy story requires even more in-depth character development and well crafted story. 

Modern US TV has devolved to having literally every drama is a "deep dark conspiracy" with half a$$ed characters and a plot you can see from miles away including being able to identify "the secret villain" by episode 2. 

Bah!  Humbug!

• 1 month later...