tkdguy

Swords in science fiction -- why?

Well, that was basically why the cutlass was developed. A short, hacking blade with a usable thrusting point for close-quarters operations, particularly boarding and counter-boarding ops.

I love that reimagination. And it shows some of the problems with cramped, tight confines - if they hadn't been using lightsabers, there were a number of instances when they would have been blocked or hooked up by their weapons impacting walls or other terrain.

The Star Was re-imagining is cool. One pet peeve of mine: why do Jedi do that weird backhand parry thing? It looks so weak. A fencer would have their forearm cocked a little.

I had notes for my ATU in which the 'marines' are starport police, enforcers, and repo-men for the interstellar commerce Authority. They use cutlasses in addition to guns. For collecting heads and hands, you see. The bank keeps a collection of severed heads of deadbeats on public display.

12 hours ago, GibNawe said:

I had notes for my ATU in which the 'marines' are starport police, enforcers, and repo-men for the interstellar commerce Authority. They use cutlasses in addition to guns. For collecting heads and hands, you see. The bank keeps a collection of severed heads of deadbeats on public display.

Interesting idea! I only use the Marines as security details and boarding parties on naval vessels.The army plays the role of the police in my Traveller universe.