Jump to content

Who would you upgrade?


quozaxx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok.  I've been looking over some of the original Enemies characters.  Many have had a slight adjustment in Classic Enemies. 

 

And I've especially been looking at Panda and Raccoon.   And I'm thinking 'how would I update them'?

 

First,  I'd put Panda's Mental defense outside of her multipower and give her more Ego Attack in her MP.  (Like does body, reduced END, penetrating, etc)

 

For Raccoon,  I'd give him Shrinking (to Raccoon size) and may even give him a rabies bite (just for fun)

 

But that made me wonder.   Who would you upgrade from an older book,  and how would you upgrade them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Does anybody remember an old villain group called the Geodesics? Four members: Ultraviolet, Dart, Diamond, and Orb. The way they were built, they were extremely weak, but I always thought they had an interesting group dynamic. Or, at least they did the way I played them. I wouldn’t mind seeing his upgraded versions for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

 Does anybody remember an old villain group called the Geodesics? Four members: Ultraviolet, Dart, Diamond, and Orb. The way they were built, they were extremely weak, but I always thought they had an interesting group dynamic. Or, at least they did the way I played them. I wouldn’t mind seeing his upgraded versions for them. 

Tiger gave them an upgrade and a fifth member with a resurrected Black Claw. Oh, and he did resurrect Orb from the grave. He "reset" Dart, Diamond, and Ultraviolet (and left an option for Diamond to keep his upgrade from Dystopia).

 

Someone will probably put a link to it in the e-shop here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did have this one "upgrade" idea for the 4th Edition universe.  The Infinite Man from Alien Enemies wanted to test the human aphorism "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" so he secretly bestowed upon Crusader powers and abilities far beyond those of ordinary men--or even other superheroes.  Crusader gradually discovered these powers, and was able to use them effectively in his war against evil, even taking on Firewing single-handed and beating him.  When The Infinite Man revealed that he was the reason for his powers, Crusader had him take them back--while he had proven that he could use them wisely, he didn't trust himself to misuse his abilities in the future.

 

This could be a scenario for a campaign--a normally non-powered PC suddenly acquires super powers, and he and the other PCs have to figure out how and why.  It could even be a rationale for a PCs origin.

 

Hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Aerion updated.

 

DC's Doctor Polaris and Marvel's Magneto are essentially the same idea. But Doctor Polaris gets a "eh, whatever" while Magneto gets "Oh crap! It's Magneto!"

 

Magneto has style and a purpose which sets him apart from the villain-of-the-week. He gathers a Brotherhood of superpowered minions around him. At the times superpowered minions haven't gather around him, Magneto just created some new superpowered minions. Magneto has felt driven to create a headquarters in a freaking asteroid.

 

I'd like to see Aerion be given the Magneto treatment. Give Aerion a driving reason to exist. Have him gather people to him so he can accomplish his purposes and have those people believe in him. Give him a base of operations, obviously not an asteroid because Aerion has wind powers instead of magnetism, but give him something dramatic and appropriate.

 

I don't want the PC's to go "Oh crap, it's Aerion!" because the players have seen an updated character sheet with a crap-ton of new points and powers. Instead, I want the PC's to say, "Oh crap, it's Aerion" because something momentous is about to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I could find my old campaign books. I had a bunch of updated characters from 3rd and 4th ed in them, along with some of the story hooks and history in the campaign. IIRC, Psi from Mind Games was pumped up a bit, and had a few members added in. Mongoose had become a neat street-leveled hero with elements of Casey Jones blended in. And Doctor Destroyer had been killed and resurrected several times.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I was thinking of a Justice League/Suicide Squad crossover when Cpt. Boomerang challenged Batman to see whose weapon was better. They each threw and Boomer kept watch on the toys while Batman closed the distance. When Boomer was celebrating because his razorang broke the batarang, Batman decked him telling him, "I am my weapon."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

I wish I could find my old campaign books. I had a bunch of updated characters from 3rd and 4th ed in them, along with some of the story hooks and history in the campaign. IIRC, Psi from Mind Games was pumped up a bit, and had a few members added in. Mongoose had become a neat street-leveled hero with elements of Casey Jones blended in. And Doctor Destroyer had been killed and resurrected several times.  

 

I recently gave Mongoose more experience (dislike saying 'upgraded') since he's been in the campaign since near the beginning. Now he's immune to poison of any type, added Breakfall, added the Mongoose martial arts from the Ultimate Martial Artist, some Combat Luck and so on. He's joined a supervillain team but is still the flamboyant martial artist as before.

When I recently pulled him out and mentioned his high DCV while still attacking, one player said, "That's high", to which another player replied, "Yep, that's Mongoose!"

:)  So, I think the more experienced Mongoose is a success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've also rewritten Vibron, Piledriver, Oculon and Fire&Ice from Enemies I/II.  Didn't care for any of the write-ups since. They're more capable but essentially still the same; changing Vibron in CKC to an alien I thought was too bizarre and pointless. All are human in my write-ups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, Tech said:

 

I recently gave Mongoose more experience (dislike saying 'upgraded') since he's been in the campaign since near the beginning. Now he's immune to poison of any type, added Breakfall, added the Mongoose martial arts from the Ultimate Martial Artist, some Combat Luck and so on. He's joined a supervillain team but is still the flamboyant martial artist as before.

When I recently pulled him out and mentioned his high DCV while still attacking, one player said, "That's high", to which another player replied, "Yep, that's Mongoose!"

:)  So, I think the more experienced Mongoose is a success.

 

IIRC, I ended up pumping up his Dex, Spd, OCV/DCV, and gave him some special "skills" to both give and take a beating. In a few scenarios, the team had to defend a few former Viper agents from him. Turned out to be a pretty awesome fight. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...