The Most Annoying Song of All Time

Pariah

On August 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM, death tribble said:

Most Americans only know the South East of England accent.

The accent the Wurzuls use is from the West Country (Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall).

Probably the most annoying accent is the Birmingham or Brum one. This is a whining, nasal accent which is like nails on a blackboard. 

Thanks, Tribble.

I've learned something today.  I no longer think that the british accent that sounds like a speech impediment is the most irritating one there is.  Sadly, I can't tell you anything about that accent, accept that there was a british host on Penn and Teller for a while-- he had it.  Jonathan something, was it?  It's almost indistinguishable from the way a person with a hare lip speaks: L's and R's become W's, etc.  

But it's nowhere near as bad as whatever that guy singing was slinging.  Gad, but that grates.....

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks, Tribble.

I've learned something today.  I no longer think that the british accent that sounds like a speech impediment is the most irritating one there is.  Sadly, I can't tell you anything about that accent, accept that there was a british host on Penn and Teller for a while-- he had it.  Jonathan something, was it?  It's almost indistinguishable from the way a person with a hare lip speaks: L's and R's become W's, etc.  

But it's nowhere near as bad as whatever that guy singing was slinging.  Gad, but that grates.....

Jonathon Ross maybe? The guy has a pretty noticeable lisp.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:32 AM, death tribble said:

The accent the Wurzuls use is from the West Country (Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall).

Probably the most annoying accent is the Birmingham or Brum one. This is a whining, nasal accent which is like nails on a blackboard. 

I worked with a Brummy (Birmingham) lady for about 3 years. I thought her accent was lovely. Granted it was a milder version of it but still lovely.

21 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Jonathon Ross maybe? The guy has a pretty noticeable lisp.

You know, you might be on to something!  It had never really occurred to me before: having heard it so much from so many people on british shows and such I just thought "it's got to be some kind of accent,"  but it might not be!  There just might be a really disproportionately high number of brits that lisp.

Something to consider, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Luckily, North American accents are never annoying, eh, y'awl?

Outside of Canada, it's spelled "Y'all."  "Yawl" is what cats do.  And I never minded "eh."  I felt it was an important part of cultural identity or something. ;)

And I don't know if it's an accent or not, since in my travels, I've noticed that the only people in the US who _don't_ use Y'all are white yankees and most asians.  At that point, it's pretty much moved from accent to an actual word.  I have no idea when it will be in the dictionary, though. I mean, it took "ain't" longer than I've been alive before it dropped in.

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

I knew a young lady from Georgia once. Gosh she had a lovely accent. Sounded warm honey. <sigh>

I have a buddy in British Columbia.  He's been retired for a decade now.  When I had occasion to call him during working hours, he would always chuckle when he picked up the phone.  I commented once that he must have the greatest job in the world (and being in wildlife management / wild resource management, be probably did, really).  He told me that both of the women who answered the phone were in love with the accent.  :lol:     It went a long way toward explaining why only one person in the office ever put me on hold.  The two ladies would just say "oh, he's tied up for just a bit; he'll be available shortly if you would like to wait."   Then they'd just start asking me random questions.   :rofl:

I'll say this about a Georgia accent-- any of them, really (there's like four distinct ones, with rural variants): they're contagious as hell.  I'm not even _from_ here originally (born and raised in Circle, Alaska), but  by god you'd never know it now!  :lol:   I have no idea how long it would take to lose it at this point.   

I recall (before I got married) dating a beautiful woman from Michigan.  Man, I always had the _best_ time when she was around....   anyway, I took her to a local on-the-marsh seafood joint one night as she'd never had fresh shrimp, fresh oysters, or fresh a lot of other water meat.   She ordered a combo and the waitress asked her if she wanted her shrimp fried or boiled.

My date looked back and said "excuse me?"

Fried or boiled.

"Shrimp are _hairy_?!"

Blank stare from the waitress (and from me, for that matter).   "I'm sorry, Honey; I don't follow...?"

"Bald, please!  I'll take them bald!  Just make sure they're cooked."

Right then it hit the waitress and me both, and we just howled.  "No, Honey-- not bald!  Do you want them peeled and battered and sautéed, or just dropped into a pot of hot water?"

The lights came on.  "Oh!  You mean [ and let me see if I can get this right]  Boiy--yuld."  which set us to laughing all over again-- not unkindly, mind you: it was just "boiy-yuld" reminded us of what had just transpired.

"Right.  Would like them fried or boiled?"

"I'd like to try both; just make sure they're not hairy."

[for non-southerners: it's _not_ "bald."  It's very subtle, but more like "bold", though it's drawn with the slightest "hitch" of a change in the "o" sound where the "i" sound would be heard: more like changing softly from a long O to a short o right in the middle of the word.  Now you know.  ]

I was born in Maine, and my accent does come back if I spend too much time visiting with my relatives. My elementary school years were spent in Florida, which slowed down my speech a little, while also adding in the occasional "y'all" and "all y'all". We moved out to Nevada in time for my high school years, and I found that my accent fit right in with the Western American accent prevalent here.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:07 PM, drunkonduty said:

I completely agree.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned "I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester" yet.

As annoying as this is... It's a cover of an even more annoying song from the  Early 1970's song by Melanie:

Once again, the 70's come out on top.  i HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHated this song. 

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I was born in Maine, and my accent does come back if I spend too much time visiting with my relatives. 

My folks are from Somerset County in Maine  (no; not Skow-town).  I don't know when they left (obviously some time before I was born  :lol:  )  By the time I was born, my father's accent had just fallen off, period.  Eventually they left Alaska (before I did, in fact) and landed in New Mexico  (got too old to shovel snow and plant cabbage, I suppose, or too frail to donate that much blood to the mosquitos back home), where they lived for decades.  A couple of years ago, they moved to Georgia (to the city where I work, actually) for a number of health and family-related reasons.

As they approach their 80s-- having left Maine, never to return, in their late teens-- my father has no accent of any kind.  He could be a news caster, for Pete's sake.  My mother sounds like she walked off the farm two hours ago.  It just never went away.....

Go figure.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, death tribble said:

I watch a lot of BBC Mysteries with "me mum", and I have developed a feeling of rough geography of the British Isles accents. (Some I can even mimic somewhat), I also watch a fair number of UK YouTubers, So I got the accent.  it's funny how The Wurzels sound a bit like the Stereotypical Pirate accent, but without the Nautical jargon. I watch "Vera", and have a friend from Leeds and their accents are similar. The Receptionist, Jess, from Tandy Media in London has the most perfect "received Pronunciation", BBC accent, but is cheerful, rather than slick.  Then there is of course, the Thick, chocolaty, Scottish accent of Count Dankula. That same accent I heard on a Older Woman, and i had instant feelings of Grandmotherly affection. 

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Fried or boiled.

"Shrimp are _hairy_?!"

Blank stare from the waitress (and from me, for that matter).   "I'm sorry, Honey; I don't follow...?"

"Bald, please!  I'll take them bald!  Just make sure they're cooked."

Right then it hit the waitress and me both, and we just howled.  "No, Honey-- not bald!  Do you want them peeled and battered and sautéed, or just dropped into a pot of hot water?"

The lights came on.  "Oh!  You mean [ and let me see if I can get this right]  Boiy--yuld."  which set us to laughing all over again-- not unkindly, mind you: it was just "boiy-yuld" reminded us of what had just transpired.

"Right.  Would like them fried or boiled?"

"I'd like to try both; just make sure they're not hairy."

[for non-southerners: it's _not_ "bald."  It's very subtle, but more like "bold", though it's drawn with the slightest "hitch" of a change in the "o" sound where the "i" sound would be heard: more like changing softly from a long O to a short o right in the middle of the word.  Now you know.  ]

"Boiy-yuld" is close to how we say it in Oz.

18 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

it's funny how The Wurzels sound a bit like the Stereotypical Pirate accent, but without the Nautical jargon. I watch "Vera", and have a friend from Leeds and their accents are similar.

If I had to guess I'd say that the stereotypical pirate accent comes down to Long John Silver. And he was, I'm pretty sure,  a West Country fella.

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

My folks are from Somerset County in Maine  (no; not Skow-town).  I don't know when they left (obviously some time before I was born  :lol:  )  By the time I was born, my father's accent had just fallen off, period.  Eventually they left Alaska (before I did, in fact) and landed in New Mexico  (got too old to shovel snow and plant cabbage, I suppose, or too frail to donate that much blood to the mosquitos back home), where they lived for decades.  A couple of years ago, they moved to Georgia (to the city where I work, actually) for a number of health and family-related reasons.

As they approach their 80s-- having left Maine, never to return, in their late teens-- my father has no accent of any kind.  He could be a news caster, for Pete's sake.  My mother sounds like she walked off the farm two hours ago.  It just never went away.....

Go figure.

I was born across the county line in Kennebec County. My family's all over that part of the state, and there's an old family plot in the Fairfield Quaker Friends Cemetery, where my Mom, my sisters, and my grandparents on my Dad's side are buried.

• 2 weeks later...

I never liked the vocalist Ali Campbell's nasal whine anyway but this song is annoying

From the Rave and House era comes this drivel. The 'singer' has an accent that makes you want to hit him in the head with a pickaxe. The repetitive beat behind the track also increases the displeasure. You will be glad to know this was a one hit wonder

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

I never liked the vocalist Ali Campbell's nasal whine anyway but this song is annoying

From the Rave and House era comes this drivel. The 'singer' has an accent that makes you want to hit him in the head with a pickaxe. The repetitive beat behind the track also increases the displeasure. You will be glad to know this was a one hit wonder

Oh my oh _MY_! 

Thank you, Tribble!  Thank you so very, _very_ much!

I finally understand what the young guys at the plant actually _mean_ when they say "that is the whitest whiteness that has ever been whited."    :rofl:

In related news, I just discovered that the board will not let you post every single thing Bob Dylan ever recorded....   :(

54 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I finally understand what the young guys at the plant actually _mean_ when they say "that is the whitest whiteness that has ever been whited."    :rofl:

Wow. It is. It really is.

55 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

In related news, I just discovered that the board will not let you post every single thing Bob Dylan ever recorded....   :(

But here I gotta disagree. Somewhat. Tangled Up in Blue is great song. In fact I'd say there's a bunch of Dylan B-sides that are good. But I almost never listen to the A-sides.

54 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

But here I gotta disagree. Somewhat. Tangled Up in Blue is great song. In fact I'd say there's a bunch of Dylan B-sides that are good. But I almost never listen to the A-sides.

I'll have to take your word for it.  

A few decades back, I dated a gal who was a huge Dylan fan.  I'm pretty sure in the course of those three years, I heard (many, many times) every cussed thing he ever recorded.  From all the uncounted hours of direct exposure to his work, I think I actually understood a grand total of six or seven words.  The rest of it was a trapped housefly, buzzing angrily from deep within some unfortunate guy's sinus cavity.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

I'll have to take your word for it.  

A few decades back, I dated a gal who was a huge Dylan fan.  I'm pretty sure in the course of those three years, I heard (many, many times) every cussed thing he ever recorded.  From all the uncounted hours of direct exposure to his work, I think I actually understood a grand total of six or seven words.  The rest of it was a trapped housefly, buzzing angrily from deep within some unfortunate guy's sinus cavity.

lol. 🤣

Fair enough.