The Magic of Uncertainty

ScottishFox

One of my favorite aspects of running D&D and Pathfinder adventurers using HERO system is customization.

A few weeks ago one of my friends stepped up to take the GM reigns for a few weeks so I could avoid burnout (been DM'ing that table for over a year straight).

In comes my Autolycus inspired rogue - Dirk Daggerman.

Pretty standard rogue fare with a few HERO system tweaks that caught the players offguard.

Character Defining "powers":

+7 rPD - hardened/inpenetrable - only against sharp metal objects.  No blade would willingly hurt Dirk Daggerman.

Major Transform - Dagger from thin air - No matter how well you've disarmed Dirk Daggerman - there's always one more knife on him.

Major Transform - Restraints (ropes, shackles, etc.) into open/untied restraints - No lock can hold Dirk Daggerman.

At one point in the adventure the party finds a lich-like entity that is stuck in some gruesome torture device where golems mindlessly stab it over and over for all time.

The responsible party members wander off to get a quest item we hadn't recognized was important earlier.  The lich thing begs for the freedom of death.

Dirk transforms the creatures bonds into unlocked restraints and says, "There you go, buddy.  Die however you like.".

Party member1:  You can do that!!??

Party member2:  Why would you do that!?

Lich:  Die puny mortals!

In games with hard rails you just can't get the level of spontaneity nor fear of villains that comes along with not knowing what they're capable of doing.