Supervillains due to Viper (pre 6th edition)

Tech

Does anyone know all the supervillains that Viper has ended up creating?  I'm looking for 5th edition villains and earlier. I'm just looking for a list of them. If you find one with multiple versions, can you state which edition you're mentioning?

I'm building up to one of the biggest show-downs with Viper in the campaign history. Thanks for any help.

Nope, a 4E Brick write-up is in that VIPER source book, p. 118. It identifies who he is/was, expands his history and personality, and updates his powers.

That book includes six supervillain teams: the Serpent Syndicate, the Snake Pack, VIPER Force-1 and 2, Cyborgs Inc., and the Dollmaker and his animated dolls. It also has ten solo VIPER villains, as well as the Supreme Serpent and three of his personal operatives. However, only a fraction of those villains were actually created by VIPER. The rest were recruited in one fashion or another.

27 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Nope, a 4E Brick write-up is in that VIPER source book, p. 118. It identifies who he is/was, expands his history and personality, and updates his powers.

That book includes six supervillain teams: the Serpent Syndicate, the Snake Pack, VIPER Force-1 and 2, Cyborgs Inc., and the Dollmaker and his animated dolls. It also has ten solo VIPER villains, as well as the Supreme Serpent and three of his personal operatives. However, only a fraction of those villains were actually created by VIPER. The rest were recruited in one fashion or another.

VIPER is a rather cool temp agency for supervillains.

From the 4e VIPER sourcebook

Mech-Viper Mark I robot and the Steel Serpent power armor which are VIPER's cutting edge tech answers to match superheroes.

Brick

Citadel

Damage

Gravity

Hammerhead

Mind Wipe

Phaze

Scattershot

Shadow Fist

Viperia

Dollmaker and his Dolls

Modem

Sheath

The Prime Serpent

The Supreme Serpent

Panorama

Sanction

Plus several groups:

The Serpent Syndicate

Python

Black Mamba

Komodo

Hiss

Dragon Queen

Gila

The Snake Pack

Pack Master

Coral

Massasauga

Kufi

VIPER Force-1

Chasm

Blackflame

Mirror Man

Rampage

Shift

Stealth

VIPER Force-2

Armstrong

Madame Blue

Black Lion

Cannon

Forcebeam

Stalwart

Smoke

Savant

Cyborgs Inc.

Heinous

Despite

The eight Vi Borgs - Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Psi, Lambda, Omicron, and Omega

I'll try to give the nature of their association with VIPER if known. I'm going strictly by what's printed in these particular books. Sometimes it's unclear whether the person was given powers by VIPER

From Enemies

Racoon (mutant trained to be a VIPER operative, husband of Panda)

Ankylosaur (formerly an unpowered VIPER thug who stole power armor for himself during a mission)

Wyvern (formerly an unpowered VIPER thug who was accidentally empowered during a mission)

Sledge (given powers by VIPER)

From Enemies II

Arrowhead (of The Destroyers, given powers by VIPER )

Piledriver (given powers by VIPER)

From Enemies III

Power Crusher (powers enhanced by VIPER)

From The Great Supervillain Contest - nothing

From Enemies: Villainy Unbound - Dark Prowler (given power through Duchess Industries, which is associated with VIPER)

From Enemies Assemble

Leroy, The Exo-Skeleton Man (former VIPER agent). It doesn't explicitly say the exo-skeleton comes from VIPER but I seem to remember from some sources (whether books or comics) that VIPER was it's origins as well.

Hell, let's start from the top  (but we're not doing all of them tonight ;)   )

From the very first Enemies book, from the very first edition (there are not even text examples in the 1e rule book):

Racoon

Ankylosaur (Power armor stolen while on assignment for Viper.  Not sure if that counts for your purposes)

Sledge (duped into being experimented on; again: don't know if that counts)

Island of Dr. Destroyer (1e version) includes only DD and villains from Enemies; no reason to re-list them

Moving to Escape from Stronghold (1e version)

None.  (Surprise!  Ripper was a retcon: original origin had him surgerized by the Viet Cong.)

Now into 2e

Rules book (Strangely, there are more villains caused by UNTIL than by VIPER.  This may be why I don't use UNTIL even up to this very day: those guys are dangerous to have around!):

Pulsar

Viper's Nest:

Viper Agents (five kinds) and Nest Leader, which I suppose is no surprise.

Technically not Blue Jay.  She just worked for them (she's another UNTIL baby)

Brick. They didn't make him, but they found him in the woods, took him home, and taught him some tricks.

Cheshire Cat

Enemies II

Pile Driver (yup.  Just the one.  Like three or four with UNTIL origins, though.  I can't believe people fall for their crap!  "We're good guys!"  Yeah.  Right. )    :rofl:

Champions Campaign Book (3e)

Viper Leader (again: no surprise.  Sort of a slightly upgraded Nest Leader.  Well, actually-- a slightly up-graded nest leader.  Only one kind of agent this time around, though)

Crusader (yes: there was a Villain option for Crusader.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane, because I had totally forgotten that)

Dragonfly (slight retcon to his origin now includes VIPER agents that caused the accident that changed his life)

I would like to point out that Enemies: the International File has _no_ villains created by Viper involvement.  It _does_ have villains created because of UNTIL involvement, however.  You will find this same thing in Enemies: Villainy Unbound.   I'm telling you, UNTIL has _no_ place in a decent civilized world, and I suddenly remember why so many of our early heroes were _hunted_ by UNTIL: it was clear they were devious, UN-funded criminals bent on world domination.

Enemies III

Power Crusher

Okay, it doesn't seem like it, as short as this list is, but I've just re-read through a _lot_ of books to get this far.  I'm going to bed.  More if I find time.  I would like to point out just how interesting it is that the original Champions villainous organization didn't see a lot of play at all in the early stuff.  I guess they just couldn't compete with UNTIL.  It really wasn't until the 4e sourcebook that they assumed their rightful place as UNTIL's equally-dangerous rivals.   :lol:

Champions Presents 1:  Prism

Rage. Rage is your call, really.  He was created by Prism in the quest for allies against VIPER.  Technically, he wouldn't exist without VIPER's direct action.

Hotshot:  Same sort of deal.  He's a villain because his idol / best friend / man crush Prism is a villain, and Prism is a villain because of VIPER.  I don't know if that fits what you're looking for or not, but there it is.

Slime: again, created and made villainous by Prism in order to join him in his big kill-on for VIPER.

Heatseeker, Nimbus, Lightshow, Purple Haze: same deal.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, archer said:

From Classic Enemies

Anklosaur and Wyvern updated

Racoon and Panda updated

Gremlin (empowered by super-serum seized from VIPER during a superhero raid)

Power Crusher updated

Ripper is printed here but with no connection to VIPER

Freon, HalfJack (Half-Jack?), and Occlon are also in Classic Enimies without direct ties to VIPER.

Black Mamba is also there, before he joined VIPER.

King Cobra is there with no VIPER ties whatsoever. It wouldn't be untill 5th edition where he becomes the resident serpent scientist who mutates himself, defects, and starts his own agent crew (which happens in 4th edition also, but without the VIPER connection).

Champions Presents 2: Dr. Tennison.  To be fair, though: he just works there.  I mean, he's a villain of sorts, but likely would be just as at home with the villainy of UNTIL if VIPER hadn't picked him up.

Vince Tresgrove.  He worked for Tennison while at VIPER, but again-- he would just as likely be a villain without VIPER, so long as Tennison was laying down cash.

Oh, sweet!

You know, I've never actually read this book (in spite of owning for honest-to-God _decades_.  Thanks for the probing question and the weather forcing me to find distractions from the spinal pains.  I never realized Murder in Stronghold made the leap from Adventurers Club to an actual book-book.  Neat!  :D

Anyway-- moving on:  There is also mention of a Doctor Snow, but I can't focus enough to run that rabbit, at least not tonight.  Don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy.

Or a MacGuffin.

Buzzsaw:  VIPER provides him with both powers and motivation.  Granted, he wasn't a swell guy beforehand...

Wallbanger: Already had powers; VIPER drove him to villainy as a means of survival.  For the record, UNTIL had a hand in this one, too.

This book seems to be where COIL sprang from, though it specifically says that they have nothing to do with VIPER except compete for the world.  It also notes that UNTIL has been made aware of COIL, who has placed them on a list with VIPER, DEMON, and PSI.  Given UNTIL's own history, I am forced to conclude that this list is nothing more than a catalogue of competitors or potential allies.

Champions Universe (4e):

A mention of a "Chameleon" in the "history" section and that VIPER accomplished something they couldn't do without him.   No write-up.  There may be more in that thing, but Dude, I'm not in the mood to read that thing.  I never liked the damned things anyway: they come off as "here's how _our_ campaign went, even a thousand years before we started it, and since it's official now, it has to be a part of yours."  Well bend yours and the arrogance it rode in on.  My world doesn't need your history, and that one is stupidly long.

Jeez, Dude.  Ignore me.  I'm hurting and my mood is _foul_.  I'll be glad when this storm passes and I can focus-- or at least sleep.

UNTIL is listed, specifically in relation to their competition  dealings with VIPER.  It's fairly safe to assume that without VIPER, UNTIL would not be the massive threat to global peace and every man woman and child on the earth that it is today.

Death Commando gets a tweak in this one, even though it still spells out that he's a bully and a gun nut and a lunatic killer whom UNTIL recognized as exactly such, so they took him in and trained him--- seriously; I cannot _fathom_ who these are the good guys, though I _totally_ understand why PRIMUS doesn't want them on US soil: they are responsible for more problems than VIPER ever was!  At any rate, DC eventually sold out to VIPER and is "currently" a VIPER villain, putting all that UNTIL "let's teach the sociopath with the talent for guns and killing how to formulate strategies and tactics" training to good use.  Oh, and that UNTIL death ray.  Every global source for good should be handing those things out like candy.

37 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Champions Universe (4e):

A mention of a "Chameleon" in the "history" section and that VIPER accomplished something they couldn't do without him.   No write-up.  There may be more in that thing, but Dude, I'm not in the mood to read that thing.  I never liked the damned things anyway: they come off as "here's how _our_ campaign went, even a thousand years before we started it, and since it's official now, it has to be a part of yours."  Well bend yours and the arrogance it rode in on.  My world doesn't need your history, and that one is stupidly long.

Jeez, Dude.  Ignore me.  I'm hurting and my mood is _foul_.  I'll be glad when this storm passes and I can focus-- or at least sleep.

UNTIL is listed, specifically in relation to their competition  dealings with VIPER.  It's fairly safe to assume that without VIPER, UNTIL would not be the massive threat to global peace and every man woman and child on the earth that it is today.

Death Commando gets a tweak in this one, even though it still spells out that he's a bully and a gun nut and a lunatic killer whom UNTIL recognized as exactly such, so they took him in and trained him--- seriously; I cannot _fathom_ who these are the good guys, though I _totally_ understand why PRIMUS doesn't want them on US soil: they are responsible for more problems than VIPER ever was!  At any rate, DC eventually sold out to VIPER and is "currently" a VIPER villain, putting all that UNTIL "let's teach the sociopath with the talent for guns and killing how to formulate strategies and tactics" training to good use.  Oh, and that UNTIL death ray.  Every global source for good should be handing those things out like candy.

Sorry to hear about your pain. Even the best pain pills in the world are no substitute for being in good health.

In the Champions Universe book, the most interesting VIPER-related line in the whole book is the entry for June 6, 1968

Black Phantom captures the criminal Sirhan Sirhan after he assassinates Senator Robert Kennedy. It is discovered he has connections to VIPER.

So it is discovered that "he" has connections with VIPER. Black Phantom has connections with VIPER? Robert Kennedy does? Sirhan Sirhan does?

And who did the discovering?

You could interpret that in so many odd ways such as "Sirhan Sirhan discovered that Robert Kennedy had connections to VIPER...."

9 hours ago, archer said:

In the Champions Universe book, the most interesting VIPER-related line in the whole book is the entry for June 6, 1968

So it is discovered that "he" has connections with VIPER. Black Phantom has connections with VIPER? Robert Kennedy does? Sirhan Sirhan does?

You could interpret that in so many odd ways such as "Sirhan Sirhan discovered that Robert Kennedy had connections to VIPER...."

Well, Robert's dad had Mafia ties. So why not give him VIPER ties also?

10 hours ago, archer said:

Sorry to hear about your pain. Even the best pain pills in the world are no substitute for being in good health.

Thank you, Sir.  I should move further north and inland, according to my wife, but the fact is that even in central GA I can feel the damned things before they get to T&T;  I'd have to leave the _earth_ to get away from it.  :lol:

10 hours ago, archer said:

o it is discovered that "he" has connections with VIPER. Black Phantom has connections with VIPER? Robert Kennedy does? Sirhan Sirhan does?

Yeah, that ambiguity is why I didn't bother including any of those.  Well, that, and the stipulation was "villains _because_ of VIPER.  I'm pretty sure either of those two (not Phantom) guys would be criminals without VIPER.  Just a hunch. ;)

Classic Enemies (the collected Enemies books from the previous editions, updated and occasionally retcon tweaked.  For example, Classic cements the role UNTIL played in leading Binder to a life as a super criminal, making them ultimately culpable for the Ultimates.  I should make a a chart showing all the published organizations and their culpability in the creation of super-powered criminals.  Right up until the VIPER sourcebook got published, I'm pretty sure UNTIL was the leading cause of super crime on the planet.)

Arc is kind of a stretch:  He only ended up working the project that gave him his powers because his last project was funded by and ruined by VIPER, making him almost unemployable-- it's bad for the rep.  So, _kinda_ given powers and motivation by VIPER, a little?

(look; I know you did this book already, but I can pace around the house reading a book, and it distracts me a bit ;)   )

Ankylosaur: new look that allows him to stand upright, but origin still built around VIPER.

Wyvern:  Created by UNTIL.  Yep.  UNTIL agent throws a grenade at a cowardly VIPER agent hiding in an unused lab, causing an explosion that showers him with chemicals and energize cables.  Let me point out that UNTIL _Agents_  (that's plural: more than one armed guy) found a single opponent, cowering in fear behind a computer bank, and threw a frackin' GRENADE at him:

Hey, Joey!  Check out that guy with on his hands and knees in the corner, with his face jammed behind that machine and his hands over his head.  Look at 'I'm shake!

"Yeah, Mike; I see him-- big green ass up in the air....  Cover me, Mikey.  Though I don't guess we're gonna have much trouble arrestin'  this clown...."

"Hey, Wait!  I gotta better idea!  See if you can roll a grenade like right up _under_ him, between his feet!"

Ho, yeah!  Tag him right in the hackey sack!   Okay, check this out....!"

UNTIL is a dangerous pack of self-righteous, evil bastards.  It's like taking a street gang out of Los Angeles and giving them Tony Stark's weapons locker and saying "A'ight; listen up!  You is de police now!"

anyway Wyvern.

Panda and Raccoon... sort of (again).  Panda was already with PSI, and likely would have been a villain even without VIPER.  Raccoon is solid "VIPER" though.

Black Diamond has made an enemy of VIPER, but they have nothing to do with her powers or her being a villain.

Dreadnought has nothing to do with VIPER, but I was annoyed by the retcon to "Professor Klankenhuasen" from the original (and more thematically-appropriate) "Klankenhissen."  Just wanted to toss that out there. ;)

Gremlin got her powers from a VIPER formula, though she was not working for or with VIPER, ever, and she was already a person of dubious moral fiber.

Power Crusher remains unchanged: still using VIPER tech to be a dipstick.

Dystopia:

Hammerhand was created by AAI as a replacement for Pile Driver after VIPER killed him while he was on assignment to AAI  (yeah; it didn't make sense to me, either, but hey....)

Terrence Bridge (owner and CEO of AAI) is a Nest Leader.

Had VIPER not forced Dart into teaming up with Ultraviolet, he likely would not have become a full-fledged villain under Lirby Koo (still hate that name) after he finished his petty "revenge" scheme against his coworkers.  Ironically, VIPER / AAI tech supplies him with the armor that bolsters his fading powers.

Enemies Assemble

Arsenal: the pressures of being double agent drove him to steal a power suit and become his own man

Leroy, the Awesome Exoskeleton Man!  I can't believe I forgot about Leroy.  :lol:  A VIPER agent who, at the moment of disillusionment with VIPER, was handed a piece of VIPER technology by Foxbat, and became his loyal hanger-on.

Agent Orange.  You know, I'm not going to explain this one.  Suffice it to say VIPER gave him powers; Foxbat gave him a job.

Agent X and Charly:  These are both kind of a stretch: VIPER did not make them criminals per se, or even give them their powers-- but they did make them fugitives and drove them both to Foxbat.

Bolt:  works (worked?) with VIPER, but we are left unclear as to whether VIPER is instrumental in Bolt's powers or criminal career.  I'd give this one a pass, personally.

Cool Drake:  VIPER scientist using VIPER money to build VIPER gear.  Built his own gear with VIPER money.

Extreme Prejudice:  see Bolt.

Flip:  works for/with VIPER, but was already a super villain before signing on.

Interface:  see Bolt.

Mice:  Created by VIPER, and driven to crime by VIPER's attempt to kill him / them.  Also a fun read, really.  :lol:

Roundhouse: see Bolt.

Sundown: see Bolt.

Wraith: see Bolt.

NIghtwraith: see Bolt.