College Football 2019-20

Pariah

I would be stunned if a judge chose to second-guess a decision to close.  I *can* see a judge supporting an order to close, when the conditions to re-open haven't come close to being met.  And if the school has chosen online classes only, there's no leg whatsoever.  I completely agree that not holding in-person classes but trying to play football, is exceptionally hypocritical. 

Dabo asserted that a championship would be legit.  Yeah, well, that's willful blindness, and it's in his interests to claim it.  As for the bowls...the Tournament of Roses committee cancelled the parade.  This is arguably the biggest annual, non-sports event in the country, considering its long history and cultural reach.  Almost all the lesser bowls are nothing more than charity exhibition games, and sponsor advertising vehicles.  There won't be enough teams to justify at least half of them, I suspect, and the rest would have to scramble for teams.  I can MAYBE see the New Year's Six bowls.  I can see ESPN trying to sell the title games, but I can also see them taking the New Year's Six as fun interconference games, and acknowledging that any championship is ludicrous.

The Title IX Final Rule, which is over 2,000 pages long, was issued on May 19, 2020, with an effective date of August 14, 2020. This limited three-month window for implementation overlapped with the COVID-19 pandemic and elapsed over the summer when many community members were no longer on campus. As such, while development of the new policy still involved multiple departments on campus and included communication with Academic Assembly, Staff Council, and student government leaders, the process did not afford the university time for the level of engagement with faculty, staff, and students that such significant issues on campus would normally command.

Another challenge, which continues at this time, is that multiple lawsuits with the potential to impact the application and requirements of the Title IX Final Rule have been filed. While courts reviewing these lawsuits have not yet delayed or modified the rule, additional hearings are scheduled in the months ahead....

This is from an email at my institution that came literally today about operational changes due to the "Title IX Final Rule".  Talk about bad timing, which is the same for every NCAA school.

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Dabo asserted that a championship would be legit.

Inasmuch as the current situation would allow Clemson to play Alabama (or somebody else from the SEC) in the championship game, I suppose he's not wrong. I mean, who from the B1G or PAC would even be in the picture? Sure, we could see Ohio State, but beyond that, who else? Michigan? Wisconsin? USC? Oregon? Ut...yeah, I can't even type that with a straight face. 

Of course, this whole discussion is predicated upon the idea that a playoff involving 4 out of 130 teams is legit in the first place.

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

Inasmuch as the current situation would allow Clemson to play Alabama (or somebody else from the SEC) in the championship game, I suppose he's not wrong. I mean, who from the B1G or PAC would even be in the picture? Sure, we could see Ohio State, but beyond that, who else? Michigan? Wisconsin? USC? Oregon? Ut...yeah, I can't even type that with a straight face. 

Of course, this whole discussion is predicated upon the idea that a playoff involving 4 out of 130 teams is legit in the first place.

There is some argument that the playoff pool is too small, sure, but that's secondary.  There won't even be subjective ways to try to compare;  it'd be 3 tiny, completely separate pools of games.  Calling it a "national" championship would be a serious insult...and basically, that's what Dabo's words implied.  Oh, well, someone from the SEC versus Clemson (since Clemson has no legit opposition to speak of) because we all know they'll beat everyone else.  Hubris, much?

And I say that even tho I'd say that was the most likely matchup...by a lot.  It's still hubris to say they would have no shot at all, and thus assert it'd be a legit title.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

I think they already handed the championship this year to Alabama.

BYU, the only team west of Texas still playing, now has an eight-game football schedule for 2020, including six straight at home to close out the season. Here's the lineup:

Sept. 7 at Navy, 6 p.m. MDT, ESPN
Sept. 19 at Army, 1:30 p.m. MDT, CBS
Sept. 26 vs. Troy, Time TBA, ESPN Networks
Oct. 10 vs. UTSA, Time and TV TBA
Oct. 16 vs. Houston, Time TBA, ESPN or ESPN2
Oct. 24 vs. Texas State, Time and TV TBA
Oct. 31 vs. Western Kentucky, Time and TV TBA
Nov. 21 vs. North Alabama, Time and TV TBA

So...no Power Five opponents this season (they originally had six scheduled: at Utah, Michigan State, at Arizona State, at Minnesota, Missouri, at Stanford). One against a fellow Independent (at Army, who I believe BYU has been trying to get on their schedule for years). Two against The American (at Navy and Houston). Two against C-USA (UT-San Antonio and Western Kentucky). Two against the Sun Belt (Troy and Texas State). One against the FCS (North Alabama). Not exactly a murderer's row, but it's a schedule, and literally the only game in town.

Of these eight games, only Houston and North Alabama were originally scheduled. The AD at BYU has been busy.

It'll be interesting to see how many of these games are actually played.

The games against Army and Navy will probably be played. Most of these schools seem to be too arrogant to postpone football.

The "college projeciton" football game disk that just came out from my main supplier of sports simulation games covers the Power Five conferences only (so no BYU), but includes the two conferences (so far) that aren't playing. It's based on speculation of player and team performance, so is meant to be taken with a grain of salt. How the publisher feels about keeping a season going is unclear.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The games against Army and Navy will probably be played. Most of these schools seem to be too arrogant to postpone football.

Actually, I wouldn't be the least surprised if the athletic departments did NOT want to play.  But given who has the final decision here...they will.