College Football 2019-20

Pariah

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

From the few clips I've seen from OU-UT, it looked to me like Texas had forgotten that you actually have to tackle.

They were inconsistent on defense. Sometimes were very good, other times you had 5 defenders standing around looking lost. Honestly, the score should have been much more lopsided. OU offensively did not have an amazing day. Got the job done though. 

After a day to think about the latest BYU debacle, I did some more research.

They're sunk. Even to achieve Bowl eligibility, they have to win four of their last six games. The next two games are against Boise State and Utah State, teams they've shown precisely zero ability to compete with over the last two years. That means they need to win out the last 4 weeks of the season.

Three of those games, Liberty, UMass, and Idaho State, are eminently winnable. (Of course, that's what I thought about Toledo and USF. Plus, BYU lost at home to UMass two years ago.) Which leaves the last game of the season, San Diego State in San Diego. BYU is not winning that game. So they're done.

I saw one remarkable stat that helps explain why they're in such dire straits. They have 14 drives this season of 10 plays or more that did not result in touchdowns. Absolutely unbelievable. 

At this point, I can't see how Kalani Sitake keeps the head coaching job after this year. The problem is, who do they hire who's going to do better?

So, BYU wets the bed in consecutive weeks against Toledo and South Florida, only to beat Boise State the next week?

Huh. Definitely didn't see that coming.

I found it interesting that BYU's last two touchdowns came on 'trick' plays: a fake quarterback sneak, and a reverse flea-flicker. You'd think Boise State of all teams would be ready for that kind of thing.

Now the beleaguered Cougars get a week off to try to get ready for the third rivalry game of the season, this time at Utah State. It would sure be nice to see BYU win this one. Anything's possible at this point, I suppose.

And now we come to the one school in the state with the potential to play for the national championship. No, Utah, I'm not talking about you. Get over yourselves. I'm talking about sudden FCS powerhouse Weber State. They're undefeated against FCS competition and are currently ranked 5th in the nation. And they just blew out a team they traditionally struggle with, Northern Arizona.

They still have road games against Montana and Sacramento State, both of whom are top 25 teams. But if they win out, the Wildcats will win the Big Sky Conference outright, get a fourth consecutive invitation to the FCS playoffs (which would be a school record) and almost certainly earn a first-round bye and home field until the quarterfinals.

At that point, the sky's the limit. There are some other really good teams in the way, like North Dakota State and James Madison, but the Wildcats have got a legitimate shot.

Go Wildcats!

With LSU winning and Oklahoma losing (not going to rub salt in that wound), to my mind the playoff field is pretty much set. The most dangerous opponents left for Alabama and LSU are each other. Ohio State and Clemson would get the other slots. A lot of very stable dominoes would need to fall for Oregon to have even a sniff of getting in even if they win out.

With the recent California legislation, I suppose it was inevitable.

NCAA begins process to allow athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness

In order to maintain some sense of the illusion that they're still in control, the NCAA insists upon the following:

• Athletes must be treated similarly as non-athletes "unless a compelling reason exists to differentiate."
  • Any changes must "ensure fair and balanced competition."
  • There must be differentiation between collegiate and professional opportunities.
  • A reaffirmation that athletes are students first and not university employees.
  • Any change must "protect the recruiting environment". 

We'll see, I guess. Why not just make the NCAA an official minor league for the NFL at this point?

On 10/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Pariah said:

We'll see, I guess. Why not just make the NCAA an official minor league for the NFL at this point?

On 10/29/2019 at 2:41 PM, Cancer said:

It's a source of fresh new labor for arena football too?

And the Canadian league (which is getting ready for its postseason) but still, the percentage of college players who become full-fledged pros is alarmingly small. For those who aren't NFL prospects, that degree matters. There are still jobs in football for those who don;t become pro players -- coaching at the high school level comes to mind, for which you will need a teaching certificate which in turn requires a degree in PE.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:56 PM, Pariah said:

They're sunk. Even to achieve Bowl eligibility, they have to win four of their last six games. The next two games are against Boise State and Utah State, teams they've shown precisely zero ability to compete with over the last two years. That means they need to win out the last 4 weeks of the season.

Proof positive, if any were needed, that I am not to be trusted one damn iota where predictions and analysis of college football are concerned. BYU eked out a win against Boise two weeks ago and absolutely waxed Utah State last night. Now sitting at 4-4 after inexplicable overtime wins against USC and Tennessee (and equally inexplicable losses to Toledo and USF), BYU needs only to win two of their last four games--Liberty, at UMass, Idaho State, and at San Diego State--for bowl eligibility.

What a difference two good games can make.

In my home state, Air Force and Colorado State both picked up big wins (against Academy rival Army and UNLV, respectively), while Colorado was humbled by UCLA. All in all, I consider that a good day.

Air Force is already bowl eligible at 7-2.  CSU is 4-5 and needs two more wins for bowl eligibility. Unfortunately, their three remaining games are against Boise State (6-1), Air Force (7-2), and Wyoming (6-2). Possible, but unlikely. Colorado is 3-6 and needs to win out against Stanford, Washington, and Utah. Put a fork in the Buffs. They're done.

12 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Random thought experiment. Find eleven Trojans and arrange them in a line of battle with their full armament.

Now find eleven ducks.

Doesn't sound like much of a contest, right? Not unless you've got some really tough, nasty ducks.

Or the opponents are condoms, which is ENTIRELY appropriate for this thought experiment.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

On the FCS front, #4 Weber State won convincingly at top 25 Sacramento State last night. It looks like the Big Sky championship game is going to come down to Weber State at Montana in a couple of weeks.

Does Portland State fit into the picture? (Though, since Portland State is an urban commuter school with a horrible reputation among the general public and little interest in athletics, why do they have a football team in the first place?)