College Football 2019-20

Pariah

Okay, here's a really interesting thing I read about BYU football team today. They have gone into six of their eight games as underdogs: Utah, Tennessee, USC, Washington, Boise State, and Utah State. They won four of those six games.

There have been two games where BYU was favored: Toledo and South Florida. They lost both of those games.

For the curious, BYU was favored by 17 over Liberty tonight.

Also, today is the first home game where BYU hasn't hosted an opponent that was nationally ranked at the time.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Well, Washington State earlier this year demonstrated that you need at least a pretense of D.

Yeah, I remember what a pretense of D looked like at OU. We used to win national championships with that. 

Huh. Guess we decided it was less exciting than our current model. 

Edit: The current model is not good for my blood pressure. Just went up by 3, minute forty five left. Going to rely on the defense to win? I have a bad feeling about this...

Beavers are 5-5. We won 35-34 last night, our woeful defense stopping ASU's 2 point conversion then our offense lead by a 6th year senior went for it on 4-2 to maintain possession and run out the clock. This has been an at times delightful and often harrowing season. Coach Smith has shown in 2 years that he can handle the offense, our defense made some improvement I believe but given we always seem to give up big plays it's a measured improvement to be sure. 

Still, better than the sinking feeling that we aren't going anywhere. 

Montana lost to Montana State today, so by virtue of their win over Sacramento State a few weeks ago, Weber State claims the Big Sky championship for the third consecutive year. They should be a top-four seed in the FCS playoffs with a first round bye and two home games.

Incidentally, Weber State has never gone to the FCS playoff three consecutive years before now. Truly this is the Golden Age of Wildcat football.

In the other games  I'm  watching, Colorado State lost the Border War game to Wyoming last night. Colorado currently leads Washington, which surprises me a bit. Utah State plays Boise later tonight. Air Force beat New Mexico, which is a surprise to absolutely no one because New Mexico is awful. And BYU outscored UMass 49-0 in the first half and rode their third stringers to a 56-24 win today.

FCS playoff seedings were announced today, and Weber State is the number three overall seed. The top 6 look like this:

#1: North Dakota State

#2: James Madison

#3: Weber State

#4: Sacramento State

#5: Montana State

#6: Montana 

FYI, the three through six seeds are all from the Big Sky Conference.

In a change of pace, Minnesota and Wisconsin are both pretty good teams heading into rivalry week, playing for Big Ten West champs.  And the odds are looking pretty even on this game, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.  Especially since the rivalry is currently tied up (60-60-8).

Of course, the winner gets to lose to Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship game.  Let's not kid ourselves on sure things.