College Football 2019-20

Pariah

Other than the Iron Bowl result I haven't seen a lot of surprises today. Ohio State won the game they were supposed to win against Michigan by such a margin that Jim Harbaugh might well have tried to go home after the game to find his car towed away for being unlawfully in employee parking. Georgia clobbered Georgia tech so soundly that I wonder why the Ramblin' Wreck still uses that outdated offense. Clemson dispatched South Carolia with extreme prejudice, and LSU annihilated whoever they played (texas A&M as it turns out).

I think the final four is pretty much set as Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma. Georgia needs to win the SEC title outright to get in and would need to upset LSU to do it.  One-loss Utah is a long-shot at best if they bear Oregon next Friday -- and will need a faster start than they had against Colorado tonight to do it.

At this point, I think the playoffs are pretty well solidified with LSU at number one, Ohio State number two, Clemson number three, and either Oklahoma or Utah at number four. I don't see any other teams with realistic chances to get in. Well, maybe Baylor if they beat the Sooners and Utah loses to Oregon. And if Oklahoma and Utah both lose and Georgia somehow beats LSU, I suppose Georgia could be number four.

The big story around here is that Utah could actually make the college football playoffs. Next week's results will be telling.

For Utah to get in, I think they need to beat Oregon and hope the Baylor beats Oklahoma. If Utah loses or Oklahoma wins, they're out.

If they don't make the playoff? Beat Oregon, go directly to the Rose Bowl. Lose to Oregon, and probably end up in the Alamo Bowl, or if the football gods are capricious, maybe the Holiday Bowl.

It's worth noting that Utah has already been to a New Year's Six/BC$ game on two previous occasions, both while a member of the Mountain West Conference.

That's possible, depends on how far that they drop LSU from #2. Last time that happened the non- conference champ was number 1 in the playoff rankings when they lost, IIRC.

The committee does have a pretty strong record of putting conference champions in the playoff. Be interesting to see if they'll only drop LSU 2 spots with a loss to Georgia, more than that and it won't matter. 

Yeah, top 4 does seem pretty set.  If Georgia does manage an upset, I'm going to guess LSU is out, unless it's a super-close game.

No, I'm just waiting to see how badly Ohio beats Wisconsin this weekend.

Well, I suppose there does exist a chance of a Wisconsin upset, but it seems awful remote.

Then again, Wisconsin beating Minnesota on the strength of their passing game is also not a sentence I thought I would ever see, so...  ;)

On 11/17/2019 at 2:22 PM, Pariah said:

Beavers just have to beat Wazzou to go bowling, right?

On 11/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

Washington State or Oregon makes them bowl eligible. 

I know, I know. But that's why they play the games. 

AND WE LOST BOTH

I will say we may have ruined a Heisman Candidacy but it wasn't a good couple of weeks, I do have hope.

Unless...I heard that Peterson is out at UW and I don't want them to poach our coach.

gonna be interesting this weekend for national championship. If LSU beats Georgia, i think Georgia out (LSU could stay top 4 if that loss as only loss). so, if you say Georgia drops out. number 5 utah plays 13 oregon in pac 12 championship and 6 oklahoma plays 7 Baylor in their championship.

I think OU gets in over Utah.  Potentially you can have 2 SEC teams in, but I think only if Georgia wins a very close game.  If UGA wins by a comfortable margin, I think LSU is out.

If Jalen Hurts can quit being a turnover machine, the Sooners will be really dangerous.  The defense is vastly improved over the last few years, and the offense is still pretty darn good.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, massey said:

I think OU gets in over Utah.  Potentially you can have 2 SEC teams in, but I think only if Georgia wins a very close game.  If UGA wins by a comfortable margin, I think LSU is out.

If Jalen Hurts can quit being a turnover machine, the Sooners will be really dangerous.  The defense is vastly improved over the last few years, and the offense is still pretty darn good.

I think Hurts is fun to watch, but definitely no Mayfield or Murray. But then again they both won the Heisman and went right at the top end of the NFL draft, so hardly a scathing indictment. 

Don't know what to think about the selection issue yet.