College Football 2019-20

Pariah

Okay, let's say that Ohio State does lose tonight. Does it really make any difference? Does it open up a slot in the playoff for somebody else? I don't believe that to be the case. Even if Ohio State loses, who would replace them in the playoff? Wisconsin? Baylor? Oregon?

Worst case scenario, Ohio State loses tonight in ends up the number three seed, playing Clemson in the first round. Win, and they're probably the number one seed playing Oklahoma in the first round. Pick your poison.

Meanwhile, in the real playoff, Weber State held serve by beating Kennesaw State 26-20 today. Next up: Montana, who dropped 73 points on Southeast Louisiana this afternoon. Montana has already beaten Weber State this year, winning in Missoula last month. This game is in Ogden, though. Either way, it's going to be tough sledding for the Wildcats. Should they win, they get second ranked James Madison for their trouble. Which is as it should be. In a real playoff, every game gets harder.

32 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, let's say that Ohio State does lose tonight. Does it really make any difference? Does it open up a slot in the playoff for somebody else? I don't believe that to be the case. Even if Ohio State loses, who would replace them in the playoff? Wisconsin? Baylor? Oregon?

Worst case scenario, Ohio State loses tonight in ends up the number three seed, playing Clemson in the first round. Win, and they're probably the number one seed playing Oklahoma in the first round. Pick your poison.

Worst case scenario they drop to 4, and play LSU, with the three selected conference champions ahead of them. Depending on weight of conference championship status by the committee. If they got blown out, worse case is considerably worse than that. 

But yeah, win or lose they're almost certainly in the playoffs. I do think this game gives serious film study opportunities to every team that plays them, they have vulnerabilities in their secondary. First half was really poor.

Edit: on reflection it's probably better for OU to have the Buckeyes win. I'd rather match up with the Ohio State team playing tonight than Clemson tonight. Anything can happen, but between the two...

14 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

I'm good with either Ohio State or LSU. Nice come back from the Buckeyes tonight, they are not as scary as before that game. With the new and improved defense for Oklahoma...

1499192055_tenor(41).gif.2453709ba5d61bdb71a6f8c54579e059.gif

And the fairly expected comeback for Ohio.  Ah, well.  It'll be interesting to see whether Penn or Wisconsin gets to go to Pasadena.

Also, Oklahoma, with defense?  Interesting concept. :)

Well, you don't have to go back quite that far. 2000-2005 was wicked defense. But yeah, it's been the wrong side of mediocre for the better part of a decade. 

Two busted plays aside, they were pretty solid tonight. And a top 25 defense at OU could've maybe won a national championship two years ago with Mayfield. So let's see how they do. 

6 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Well, you don't have to go back quite that far. 2000-2005 was wicked defense. But yeah, it's been the wrong side of mediocre for the better part of a decade. 

Two busted plays aside, they were pretty solid tonight. And a top 25 defense at OU could've maybe won a national championship two years ago with Mayfield. So let's see how they do. 

With this defense the last two years, I think we'd be two time defending national champions.  Jalen Hurts may have great stats, but he's a turnover machine and can't consistently hit the deep ball.  Our offense this year is far more limited than the last two years.

With Baker and Kyler, OU's offense really was the best in the country, by a lot.  It's just that our defense was ridiculously bad at the same time.

So, LSU dismantled Georgia. As expected.

Clemson obliterated Virginia. As expected.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin, but had to come back in the second half to do so. Not quite as expected.

So, does any or all of this drop Ohio State from the number one seed?

If so, who's the new number one, LSU or Clemson?

Can we assume, with their win over Baylor, but Oklahoma gets the number four seed?

And who wants to play Clemson in that first game?

9 hours ago, Grailknight said:

While OU has the advantage  in the all time series 19-12, the last time A&M saw thew was the 2013 Cotton Bowl.

I am upset that we couldn't  get a match against UT  in a bowl this year.

OU was disinterested in the cotton bowl matchup, figured I'd borrow that from the SEC folks we thrashed in recent years. Good for the goose...

Speaking of things that make me laugh, check this out...

Lane Kiffin (Joey Freshwater) as head coach for a school that embraces a party atmosphere, leads with a "Lane Train" hype video, and who greets him on the tarmac with "get you a burner phone" (not even kidding).

I was originally offended, that this terrible human being with a 23-14 record at FAU is being given this opportunity after leaving Tennessee in flames, being fired and not allowed to ride the bus home from U$C, and processed by Saban (I'll refrain from the rumors around what led to that), but have since come around. If for no other reason, this will be entertaining. Like a dumpster fire train wreck.