College Football 2019-20

Pariah

Sadly. He's probably right.

Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts if FBS plays in 2020

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

So anywhere from 4000 to 7000 or so infections.  Yeah, ok, the number of deaths is probably low.  BUT, how many will show with the nasty secondary infections we're also seeing, in kids?  How many will suffer permanent lung damage, or some other significant, life-impairing complication?  That's probably going to be at a rather higher rate.

And the athletes have no protection or recourse whatsoever.

This might be a good excuse for Portland State University to shelve football. They play in the FCS Big Sky conference, but nobody in Portland seems to care. They are an urban campus with few athletic facilities in the middle of a very expensive housing market.  Home games are  played in Hillsboro Stadium, 14 miles west of the campus, and few students own cars.

I could say that all the other schools in the Big Sky care about Portland State football, if only because it gives them an easy win most years, but I feel like that would be unnecessarily harsh right now. 😛

Should Portland State decide to ditch football, the WAC has a similar geographic footprint and does not sponsor football. So that might be a good fit. Heck, there would be a reasonably nearby rival in the University of Seattle, if I'm not mistaken.

I will also point out that nobody cared about Weber State football for decades, even though they had a stadium right on campus. There was reasonably serious talk of discontinuing the program. Now all of a sudden they have a great coaching staff and have been to the FCS playoffs 4 consecutive years, and they're the biggest show in town. Especially now that Minor League Baseball has dismantled the Pioneer League.

The wheel turns.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

I could say that all the other schools in the Big Sky care about Portland State football, if only because it gives them an easy win most years, but I feel like that would be unnecessarily harsh right now. 😛

(snip)

The wheel turns.

So you're saying the wheel in the Big Sky conference keeps on turning?

On 7/2/2020 at 9:34 AM, Pariah said:

Should Portland State decide to ditch football, the WAC has a similar geographic footprint and does not sponsor football. So that might be a good fit. Heck, there would be a reasonably nearby rival in the University of Seattle, if I'm not mistaken.

I thought for a moment the University of Portland might be in the WAC< but they're actually in the West Coast Conference. This means that every two years they have to lose basketball games to Gonzaga.

(And before you ask, Portland State to the WCC would be a non-starter: PSU (as the locals call it, usually not very nicely) is a public university, and the WCC is composed of schools run or founded by Christian churches. Its membership includes, besiudes GBonzaga and Portl;and, San Francisco University (alma mater of Hall of Fame NBA pioneer Bill Russell) and BYU (who need to introduction).

On 7/5/2020 at 12:49 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I thought for a moment the University of Portland might be in the WAC< but they're actually in the West Coast Conference. This means that every two years they have to lose basketball games to Gonzaga.

(And before you ask, Portland State to the WCC would be a non-starter: PSU (as the locals call it, usually not very nicely) is a public university, and the WCC is composed of schools run or founded by Christian churches. Its membership includes, besiudes GBonzaga and Portl;and, San Francisco University (alma mater of Hall of Fame NBA pioneer Bill Russell) and BYU (who need to introduction).

Also from SFU as Russell was his Celtic teammate KC Jones who pioneered point guard defense similarly to Russell with center defense.

Jones also coached the Celtics through the 2nd half of their 80s dominance. One of my favorite players from the past that doesn't get as much recognition

On 7/4/2020 at 10:49 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

And Loyola Marymount, whose most famous sports story is unfortunately Hank Gathers.  

But that's not the biggest issue.  The WCC has had public universities as members in the past...altho there's a good (very reasonable) chance they'd prefer to stay with what they have.  (Lessons from the old Big East.)  But...WCC doesn't do football.  Only BYU and San Diego even have football teams.  BYU is independent...which hurts a lot these days.  San Diego is FCS, in the Pioneer League.  The...what?  No, I'd never heard of it myself.  VERY spread out, it's a football-only league.  Biggest school is Morehead State (11K+);  second biggest is Dayton (8K+), and 6 of the 9 schools are under 5000.  So they're in conferences where they don't play football at all, or what looked to be more common, the schools didn't want to play FBS level.  Several good basketball schools...Dayton, Butler, Davidson.  Football...not so much.

Nice 2 lines to lead a story in the Seattle Times about the Pac-12's decision.

The first domino fell on Thursday.

And the next seemed all but inevitable.

The SEC is set to meet Monday to discuss options;  it's suggested the favorite might be to defer the fall sports until the spring.

Shades of mid-March.  This time the time pressure isn't there, so decisions can (and should) be made with more deliberation.  But...by and large...I think it's going to be the same end result.  

I often wonder what success Gathers may or may not have had. From what I remember he was a rebound and putback,  close to the basket big man in what would amount to an NBA small forwards body. I dont know how well he would really have translated. Probably a place, but not stardom.

Len Bias is another, people always say he could've been another Jordan. Given his position and game, I think comp was really more Dominique Wilkins.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I often wonder what success Gathers may or may not have had. From what I remember he was a rebound and putback,  close to the basket big man in what would amount to an NBA small forwards body. I dont know how well he would really have translated. Probably a place, but not stardom.

Len Bias is another, people always say he could've been another Jordan. Given his position and game, I think comp was really more Dominique Wilkins.

You might be thinking of how small forwards play now.  Gathers died in 1990...a completely different era.  There were teams where he wouldn't fit, sure, but Alex English was still active, for example.  Grant Hill had a little different game, but he was excellent.  Injuries were his problem...and being in Detroit at the wrong time, with Jordan in Chicago.

Even today...Gathers was 6'7" and agile.  If your 4 or 5 is playing on the wing, you can use a Gathers in the middle, to threaten short rim runs rather than drives starting from the 3 point line.  He's got the perfect size for positionless defense, too.

One thing I remember pretty well from that season.  NMSU had a very, very good team.  They got a 6 seed, in part because they *beat* UNLV at home that year...was at that game.  And IIRC, they actually led at half at Thomas and Mack.  This was the Johnson/Augmon/Anthony team that won the title;  the next year's when they went undefeated until the national semis.  IOW, a GREAT, GREAT college team...and the Aggies beat em once that year.

So when I heard they got LMU first round, I was going.....oohhhhhh NOOOO.....  Because LMU had time to get past the gut wrenching phase.  With Gathers, that team was also about a 6-8 seed, depending on how much credit the committee gave.  Lots of times back then, ranking and seeding didn't jibe.  And they had all the motivation in the universe.

28 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

You might be thinking of how small forwards play now.  Gathers died in 1990...a completely different era.  There were teams where he wouldn't fit, sure, but Alex English was still active, for example.  Grant Hill had a little different game, but he was excellent.  Injuries were his problem...and being in Detroit at the wrong time, with Jordan in Chicago.

Even today...Gathers was 6'7" and agile.  If your 4 or 5 is playing on the wing, you can use a Gathers in the middle, to threaten short rim runs rather than drives starting from the 3 point line.  He's got the perfect size for positionless defense, too.

Yeah the big missing part of the equation was I couldn't remember his agility level. Yes, if agile he would have made a great defender, possibly a less versatile Rodman. Rodman was only a little taller and was built on defense and rebounding.  Gathers was probably stronger, with Rodman more athletic. I make that comparison because I dont really see Gathers having much offensive versatility on an NBa level. But with enough strength agility being of some value in defense and rebounding. Loyola Marymount had an offense not easily converted to 1990 NBA. So a lot is unknown. Mid 1st ed might be the best possible projection. Derrick Coleman went 1ST that year. Although since Coleman had almost no work ethic. AND Gathers was all work ethic. It would made a fun comp 10 years later on where they ended up at.

But yeah Gathers had some strengths that would have played.  I just dont know if he were translatable to starter level or would been at home as a sort of tweener forward who is kind of a 1st or 2nd frontcourt player off the bench.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The SEC is set to meet Monday to discuss options;  it's suggested the favorite might be to defer the fall sports until the spring.

Shades of mid-March.  This time the time pressure isn't there, so decisions can (and should) be made with more deliberation.  But...by and large...I think it's going to be the same end result.  

I don't know how accurate it is, but I read an article today suggesting that the ACC might set up three divisions of five teams each (including Notre Dame for 15 total) and play home-and-home games within those divisions, resulting in an 8-game schedule. An interesting strategy, I think, but again I don't know how reliable the article is.

I think it's fair to say that the bowl season as it was, is dead for this year.    How's bowl selection gonna work?  If the schools are saying "only in the conference"...how does that fit with a bowl game?

Another big issue is the TV contracts.  I strongly suspect that's why they're holding out for *some* form of games, to keep at least some TV revenue flowing.  Still, it seems likely that Fox, ESPN, and CBS will be arguing for notably lower rights payments.  And there's no way in heck that fans can be at the games.  So it looks like the athletic armageddon is inevitable.

• 4 weeks later...