Help me update Slithern - Champions Presents #2

Tech

I'd like your suggestions for updating this guy. For the longest time, I never used this guy. Strangely, I will use him soon due to him fitting into an episode. For those who don't have this book: his mutant power combined with the anaconda coil-serum makes for a very odd combination. Has shapeshift (any shape), tank stats & his mutant vibratory powers.

Why shapeshifting into any shape? I can see into a snake, but being able to change into a fire hydrant, tree or lunchbox?

What are your suggestions?

You have two options that make sense to me:

Either the surm robbed him of his shapeshift ability, or his shapeshift ability prevented him from being all snake-deformed.  Honestly, I've thought that for a couple of decades now.  :lol:

Or, if you really want him to be all snakey, but still have shapeshift, limit it heavily: maybe only into people (the Cool serum wants him to be a snake, and not a badger or a mushroom (thanks, Tribble)) or a limited duration or even upping the End. 

Alternatively, limit it to "snake stuff" with a few related snake powers he can only access in different shapes: a bulky python for extra Str and grappling or a long thin racer for bursts of SPD and movement.  Go all out and multi-form him. 

Hope something there gets the juices flowing. 

Duke

Thanks Duke. What would you do about his stats? I thought the old Minutemen had the best Con, until I saw his jaw-dropping stat. His variable MP dependent on Shapeshift is another weird aspect.

(Posted this again because I see this post appearing & disappearing. Weird).

If I remember, I'll look him back up when I went home (I only remember him now because I couldn't rationalize a shapeshifter keeping his power _but_ being turned into a snake.  :lol:

It may well be the MP tied to shapeshifter was a fast work-around for the idea of multiform.  Yes, multiform existed, but you know how this game goes: more than one way to do anything.  ;)

If it were up to me, I'd just Slither, one of the minions of the new official King Cobra, most recently written up for Sixth Edition under KC's entry in Champions Villains Volume One: Master Villains. Although he had a different civilian identity and slightly different origin, Slither was clearly inspired by the earlier Slithern, having very similar powers (although conceptually tighter and more coherent).

8 hours ago, Tech said:

I'd like your suggestions for updating this guy. For the longest time, I never used this guy. Strangely, I will use him soon due to him fitting into an episode. For those who don't have this book: his mutant power combined with the anaconda coil-serum makes for a very odd combination. Has shapeshift (any shape), tank stats & his mutant vibratory powers.

Why shapeshifting into any shape? I can see into a snake, but being able to change into a fire hydrant, tree or lunchbox?

What are your suggestions?

Since he has the stats of a tank and can shapeshift into any form, present him to the PC's as a literal army tank which is animated by the spirit of Robert E. Lee.

For the people who recognize that character from DC comics, they'll be shocked when they find out that persona is a pretense and Slithern  later turns into a snake-themed villain.

Instead of running away from how bizarre his character write-up is, whole-heartedly embrace it and use it to throw your PC's off balance.