Coffin Questions

Cassandra

8 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I am quite interested in why you think doing this as a power gives a victim a chance to escape where the mundane use of environmental stuff does not.  I agree that making the whole thing an escape from an Entangle makes it far more straightforward but it might also rob it of some colour. 

Doc

Wonder Woman, Miss America, and Batman have all been buried alive.   They all got out using their powers and abilities.

Haven't any of you ever built a death trap for the villain to put your hero in, so you could see if they would escape and how?

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Wonder Woman, Miss America, and Batman have all been buried alive.   They all got out using their powers and abilities.

Haven't any of you ever built a death trap for the villain to put your hero in, so you could see if they would escape and how?

What if they can’t?   

Let’s say that your usually clever and resourceful player is just having a bad night.  Now as a GM you're left with two options, both of which suck rocks.  Either you’ve just killed off a character in your game for no reason or you have to railroad the player into a solution and hope they don’t resent you for putting them into the position of being rescued by the GM.  Again for no reason.

If you have a death trap with no solution and want to run it against someone, do it off story or as a blue book story. That way there’s no downside for for an unwinable scenario. 

The GM’s job is to serve the story and the players, not try to prove they’re smarter.

3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

What if they can’t?   

Let’s say that your usually clever and resourceful player is just having a bad night.  Now as a GM you're left with two options, both of which suck rocks.  Either you’ve just killed off a character in your game for no reason or you have to railroad the player into a solution and hope they don’t resent you for putting them into the position of being rescued by the GM.  Again for no reason.

If you have a death trap with no solution and want to run it against someone, do it off story or as a blue book story. That way there’s no downside for for an unwinable scenario. 

The GM’s job is to serve the story and the players, not try to prove they’re smarter.

There are two ways to avoid that.

1. Have Friends.

2. Spend 5 Points for a ES: Radio Perception & Transmit, OAF: Radio (-1).

11 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

The only reason a hero would ever be in a deathtrap is because the GM is a killer GM with a superiority complex?  Please cease your attacks on my character and the character of every other GM who has ever had a PC in a deathtrap. 

That’s not what I mean at all.  

The question Cassandra posed sounded (at least to me and not that I’m saying she is one) like a GM who spends a great deal of time thinking up an unbeatable puzzle and then lords it over players who can’t beat it on the fly.

We all know of a GM or two who fall in love with their villains and get a little competitive with their players. 

No one who spent as much of their early years sitting in front of the TV as I did watching Adam West and Burt Ward’s portrayal of the Dynamic Duo think their way out of cliffhanger death traps could not love them for the icon of comic books they are.

I was saying that coming up with a trap there’s no way out of isn’t fair to the player you’re doing it to or the other players in the game. The GM should always have a way or two out of it that they can nudge a stuck player into seeing. That way the player can keep their dignity intact and everybody can have the fun night they came for.

That’s not what I mean at all.  

The question Cassandra posed sounded (at least to me and not that I’m saying she is one) like a GM who spends a great deal of time thinking up an unbeatable puzzle and then lords it over players who can’t beat it on the fly.

We all know of a GM or two who fall in love with their villains and get a little competitive with their players. 

No one who spent as much of their early years sitting in front of the TV as I did watching Adam West and Burt Ward’s portrayal of the Dynamic Duo think their way out of cliffhanger death traps could not love them for the icon of comic books they are.

I was saying that coming up with a trap there’s no way out of isn’t fair to the player you’re doing it to or the other players in the game. The GM should always have a way or two out of it that they can nudge a stuck player into seeing. That way the player can keep their dignity intact and everybody can have the fun night they came for.

You think there is no way out of this trap?

I'm flattered.

1 minute ago, Cassandra said:

You think there is no way out of this trap?

I'm flattered.

Right now I’m trying to get out of the one I find myself in now.  I hope you know I wasn’t accusing you of anything, just responding to the question/situation you set up.

3 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Maybe I responded too strongly, but I’ve had to deal with as both a player under them and as another GM asked to referee the argument GM’s who went too far.

Right now I’m trying to get out of the one I find myself in now.  I hope you know I wasn’t accusing you of anything, just responding to the question/situation you set up.

Maybe I responded too strongly, but I’ve had to deal with as both a player under them and as another GM asked to referee the argument GM’s who went too far.

I enjoy a good debate.  I'm pretty much a heroine and like Nancy Travis are more likely to dig someone up from a coffin.

408full-nancy-travis.jpg

I'm definitely NOT questioning deathtraps (a genre fiction staple), nor am I questioning whether this one is escapable (depends on the numbers).

What I specifically AM questioning is: how does writing up the ability to throw someone in a coffin and pile dirt on top as a power have anything to do with how escapable it is? I don't understand what is gained by doing that.

I think the difference of thought here is : is the situation Man against machine (trap) or man against environment (confined space with limited  time and a set amount of damage to  escape.)  I'd just define a no cost entangle to represent the work needed to escape and a small constant killing attack (perhaps 1 damage class), against limited defenses.  No need to even build it out any farther.  It shouldn't be paid for by points because it can be done by anyone with a shovel. You could add a Professional skill: Serial Killer to add flavor and explain how he always knows where and when to do the job.

10 hours ago, Cassandra said:

There are two ways to avoid that.

1. Have Friends.

2. Spend 5 Points for a ES: Radio Perception & Transmit, OAF: Radio (-1).

If the villain has been close enough to the hero that they can toss them in a coffin and bury them, then any intelligent villain will also remove any foci.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Cassandra said:

What is the limitations for "Usable only on a 0 DCV Target?"

What is the limitation for "Activates when the target is at full STUN Total."

I'm building a version of the villain from Spoorloos.

Thanks.

Ok I would say -2 for at 0 DCV. But not sure what you mean by full STUN total? I would think at 0 STUN Drain Body would start.