Advantage costing

Doc Democracy

14 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

One of my players wants to be able to “switch on” an advantage on his EB, ‘only against entangles”.  Obviously this would limit the effect of a power but becomes an advantage because of context.  I am thinking +1/2, though might be persuaded on something different.  Any thoughts?

Doc

Definitely not, if I were the GM.

If he buys an advantage on an EB, that advantage exists all the time, even if that advantage is somewhat limited in some way. He has to pay END for that advantage because it exists all the time, he can't switch it on and off.

If he wants two versions of an EB, he needs to pay for two versions of an EB.

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

One of my players wants to be able to “switch on” an advantage on his EB, ‘only against entangles”.  Obviously this would limit the effect of a power but becomes an advantage because of context.  I am thinking +1/2, though might be persuaded on something different.  Any thoughts?

Doc

Three options stand out. 

1: Have him buy a Multipower of EB and EB Only Vs Entangles (-0). 

2: Have him buy Only Vs Entangles as a Naked Advantage.  +1/4 sound around right to me, since it's close to the price of the Multipower version. 

3: Have him buy the EB with May Be Only Vs Entangles (+1/4). 

I do question the idea of "only functions against this specific game construct", though.  Are you and he sure he's not looking for Only Against Inanimate Objects or Only Against Nonliving? 

1 hour ago, archer said:

If he buys an advantage on an EB, that advantage exists all the time, even if that advantage is somewhat limited in some way. He has to pay END for that advantage because it exists all the time, he can't switch it on and off.

You don't allow naked advantages?

4 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

I do question the idea of "only functions against this specific game construct", though.  Are you and he sure he's not looking for Only Against Inanimate Objects or Only Against Nonliving? 

His energy blast has the special effect of a cloud of summoned imps attacking a foe. This would be concentrating on ensuring they helped someone out of entangling materials.  It does mean that I need to take care with how I build manacles etc or provide some in game latitude.  It makes narrative sense, just musing on how much it would/should cost.

1 minute ago, Doc Democracy said:

His energy blast has the special effect of a cloud of summoned imps attacking a foe. This would be concentrating on ensuring they helped someone out of entangling materials.  It does mean that I need to take care with how I build manacles etc or provide some in game latitude.  It makes narrative sense, just musing on how much it would/should cost.

In that case, I think you'd be better served with a Very Precise advantage. 

Gah..

I don't have Chris G's memory for this sort of thing, but once upon a time there was an advantage called "Selectable."  I _think_ it was an auto fire advantage, but it may have been usable in other ways as well.  I am afraid I wasted _way_ too much time in the Super Images game today to have the time to look now.  :(  

I would think you could cobble that into something reasonably appropriate.

I mean, when you look at the Multipower option--

that is, compare the cost of the power with the advantage, all by itself, then the cost of the multipower featuring the cost of Control, then the cost slot with and the slot without, you can sort of see that it's not that much different from just deciding that Advantage X has Y value, and lets me do little more than recreate the end results of a multipower, so why not?

Look at it another way:  we had a framework for Elemental Control.  Not it's just a modifier: Unified.

Why not run it the other way?

5 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

An Entangle can be targeted separately.  Why not some extra OCV only to facilitate targeting only the entangle?

5 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

He said he wanted to switch "only vs entangles" off and on, not that it should do extra damage to entangles.

Oh. Right.

18 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Three options stand out. 

1: Have him buy a Multipower of EB and EB Only Vs Entangles (-0). 

2: Have him buy Only Vs Entangles as a Naked Advantage.  +1/4 sound around right to me, since it's close to the price of the Multipower version. 

3: Have him buy the EB with May Be Only Vs Entangles (+1/4). 

I prefer the Multipower version because it's a clean build and RAW. If that won't work (because it has to fit inside another Power Framework), the custom Advantage is probably the cleaner option.

23 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

You don't allow naked advantages?

The short answer is "no".

A slightly longer answer is "hell, no". ;)

For a more complete answer...

As people have pointed out in this thread, there are point-efficient ways of building a power without resorting to using naked advantage.

My experience with naked advantage is players trying to go over active point campaign limits by burying naked advantages somewhere on a handwritten character sheet like among the skills "He's so skilled with his energy blast that its armor piercing when he wants it to be" or "his energy blast doesn't cost END when he doesn't want it to (like every time he's low on END)" then hoping I okay the character without noticing.

So I strongly prefer everything about a power to be written together in one spot on a character sheet so I can understand at a glance exactly how a character is supposed to work.

Since Naked Advantage is in 6th edition, yes it can be done. Whether or not the GM allows it is another. Personally, I've allowed it in very selective cases.

The original question doesn't state what 'advantage' is wanted vs entangles. Figure out how much the advantage will cost the power (ex: adds 30 pts to the power cost), then add the limitation on those points. The +1/2 sounds right but it depends on how common an entangle is used in the game.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:12 PM, archer said:

My experience with naked advantage is players trying to go over active point campaign limits by burying naked advantages somewhere

I didn't disallow them in my campaign, but I add them to the active points of any ability they work on for determining whether the character is over the active point cap for the campaign or not.

No, Player1, you can't have naked advantage: 0 end, 2x armor piercing on your 3d6+1 RKA when the campaign cap is 50 active points...

On 9/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, Doc Democracy said:

Doc

How common are Entangles? I’d say + 1/4.  And why exactly is this an Advantage? I think I know but ain’t sure.

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

How common are Entangles? I’d say + 1/4.  And why exactly is this an Advantage? I think I know but ain’t sure.

I think it is an advantage because he would be able to fire at those caught in entangles without worrying whether he might hurt or damage the person inside, the fact he can turn it on and off cements it as an advantage as he is not deprived of the chance to hurt someone or damage something else when he wants to.

Doc