grandmastergm

I will be attending the U-Con Gaming Convention over in Ypsilanti, Michigan from November 9-11th.  Shane Harsch will also be in attendance, but I am right now the only one of two running HERO games.

I will be running a Champions game set in Russia (Russian Winter) and another that features the MCU Avengers vs the D&D Demon Lord Orcus.

Details are here.

I believe I'm in your Sunday morning game (Battle of Larisagrad).  Unless that's not you, in which case no.  :winkgrin:

The only events I got tickets for are that one, a NOVA6 game Saturday morning run by Shane Harsch, and a Car Wars game Saturday evening.  I'm looking at some possibilities for Saturday afternoon but haven't settled on any yet.  I didn't want to lose out on the tickets for the three I had, so I went ahead and purchased those, figuring I'd decide on a Saturday afternoon one later.

55 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I believe I'm in your Sunday morning game (Battle of Larisagrad).  Unless that's not you, in which case no.  :winkgrin:

The only events I got tickets for are that one, a NOVA6 game Saturday morning run by Shane Harsch, and a Car Wars game Saturday evening.  I'm looking at some possibilities for Saturday afternoon but haven't settled on any yet.  I didn't want to lose out on the tickets for the three I had, so I went ahead and purchased those, figuring I'd decide on a Saturday afternoon one later.

Sure, yup- Battle of Larisagrad is me.  If you're available Friday afternoon, I'm running Avengers vs Orcus.

• 1 month later...

Had a good time in grandmastergm's Larisagrad adventure.  Our team leader was a very direct, kick-the-front-door-in type, but it got things rolling pretty fast.  The characters were fun (I ran Kometa), and we had some great RP from most of the players.  (In retrospect, I probably could have stepped up my RP game a bit but don't think I did too bad.)  I liked the use of hero points - if you'd asked be beforehand about using them to buy down a to-hit roll to a crit, I would have been highly hesitant, but for a convention game it worked very well and to be honest, we needed the help against the big bad

Mechanon, plus Mechana.

I know I enjoyed it, and that game mechanic seemed to really go over well with the other players.  Besides, if not for those crits, I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten our heads handed to us - literally.  As it was, I got one-shot KO'd, but considering the opposition I wasn't surprised.  Plus, I held my own solo against the latter of those foes for a number of Phases while my teammates took on the other one, so I figure I did pretty well. 

It was one of the best games I played at U-Con this year.  Kudos to you, sir.

Also played in a Nova-6 superhero game run by Shane Harsch, which was a lot of fun, as well as a semi-new RPG called Fellowship of the White Star using its own game system.  A long-time friend and his family came to U-Con and hung out with me a lot, and we played together in the FWS game - enjoyed it enough that we picked up a copy and plan to run a once-a-month game with them using the four published modules.

The only bad game was the Car Wars game.  Not at all fond of the car I was given - poorly designed, IMO.  If you're going to build a vehicle that can't maneuver worth a damn, then give it a turret rather than a fixed forward mount.  I think I only got to shoot at one other car before I got trashed (which happened pretty damn quick).  I was actually glad I was eliminated over 2 hours before the end of the game session, since I got to go home early and (try to) get more sleep.

Dealer room was okay, though waaaaay smaller and more limited than cons like GenCon.  Pretty much what I'd expect for a more local convention.  I picked up a card/board game (Periodic, where you're building compounds based on the periodic table of elements) for my nerdy-engineer daughter.

Overall, a fun weekend at U-Con.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

Had a good time in grandmastergm's Larisagrad adventure.  Our team leader was a very direct, kick-the-front-door-in type, but it got things rolling pretty fast.  The characters were fun (I ran Kometa), and we had some great RP from most of the players.  (In retrospect, I probably could have stepped up my RP game a bit but don't think I did too bad.)  I liked the use of hero points - if you'd asked be beforehand about using them to buy down a to-hit roll to a crit, I would have been highly hesitant, but for a convention game it worked very well and to be honest, we needed the help against the big bad

I know I enjoyed it, and that game mechanic seemed to really go over well with the other players.  Besides, if not for those crits, I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten our heads handed to us - literally.  As it was, I got one-shot KO'd, but considering the opposition I wasn't surprised.  Plus, I held my own solo against the latter of those foes for a number of Phases while my teammates took on the other one, so I figure I did pretty well. 

It was one of the best games I played at U-Con this year.  Kudos to you, sir.

Glad you liked it and enjoyed it.  Thank you for playing!  I had prepared things in case you guys tried infiltration or conning your way into the city, but you ended up going the direct route so I gave you a hard combat. 

I found that letting players "buy criticals" with heroic action points have worked well for convention games, so I will stay with it.  I tried it at a couple of conventions earlier this year and I found that it made the game more fun for new players.