Sign in to follow this  
GreaterThanOne

GM Suggestions for a Normal People With Super Powers Campaign

Thank you to everyone for the information. I am reading as quickly as possible both on Mechanics and World Building but I am definitely going to get the Updated Version first. If only because, for all intents and purposes I am relearning the rules from scratch. I am certain things have changed but its been so long that I can't see the differences. I don't want to awaken memories that might affect my fluidity with 6E as a GM. I'll almost for sure get the original later anyways.

Speaking as someone who is a die-hard simulationist himself ... make sure to manage your own expectations.  I experienced this in a sci-fi campaign... following my initial assumptions about how interstellar travel works physically, what that implies about defenses of inhabited star systems, etc. ... left me with a game world which had little room for players to do anything, and I didn't realize it until after we got into it.  You can't really predict where players may decide to go in your world, or why.  I realized too late that I was on my way toward making a novel, not an RPG, because of my determination to stick to my simulationist preferences.  In effect, I've had more success since then not working out full logical consequences of my ideas; instead, when players have important things they want their characters to do, I work out at the table, with their input, how that can happen in the broad framework in my head.  You need cooperative good players for this to work, of course.

Since then I have done more explicit appeals to randomness in aspects of games and game-worlds, especially for generating flavor text, and assigning arbitrary but important qualities to big NPCs or NPC entities (corporations, organized crime syndicates, etc.).

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

You can't really predict where players may decide to go in your world, or why.

Interestingly enough, one of the players decided to join the "the other guys". It is making things much more chaotic and fun! I really like free-form gaming even if it can put strain on my GMing abilities. This is turning out to be very fun!