Batwoman

Cassandra

So I watched the latest episode and I am pretty much still meh. 

Already relegated to the DVR and being watched when I have caught up everything else.

Still waiting for BATWOMAN to make an appearance. 

I get it, she has a girl friend.  Fact established.  Now those scenes are just filler, boring unnecessary filler in a SUPERHERO (superheroine?) show.

One of the reasons I quit Flash. Inept doltish quasi romance.

If I want romance I can watch "As the Stomach Turns" or something on Hallmark.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, Spence said:

So I watched the latest episode and I am pretty much still meh. 

Already relegated to the DVR and being watched when I have caught up everything else.

Still waiting for BATWOMAN to make an appearance. 

I get it, she has a girl friend.  Fact established.  Now those scenes are just filler, boring unnecessary filler in a SUPERHERO (superheroine?) show.

One of the reasons I quit Flash. Inept doltish quasi romance.

If I want romance I can watch "As the Stomach Turns" or something on Hallmark.

I think if you make you DVR watch Batwoman it might become Skynet in self defense.

And she just lost her girlfriend because she invited her on a mission and neglected her.

2 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

I was going to catch up on the series this weekend.

This has me reconsidering that.

I'm going to go out felony vigilantying this weekend.  Wanna come with, honey?   /barf.

Too bad too.  She was a very pretty and charming woman.  And must have a thing for Bob's Big Boy.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

I was going to catch up on the series this weekend.

This has me reconsidering that.

"...invited her on a mission..." is a misleading characterization of the plot.

Your ability to cut through Cassandra's snark needs a few more CP, I think... ;)

8 minutes ago, Greywind said:

She did not invite her out on a mission.

She invited her out to where the mission was going to be.

IIRC, when she invited her, she didn't yet know that the mission would be be there.  Though she did know by the time of the date, so she could have arranged to cancel.

Okay, where to start?

I think last nights episode can be summed up by asking one question of the main character.

What are your priorities, Woman?!!

She actually captured Alice!  She had her in chains!  But then Kate agrees to take her on a road trip to find out what happened to her!  

That's a question you ask when the Villain is in a cell in Arkham.  It's not really important if you want to protect the city and it's people.

But no, Kate takes Alice to a diner where one, no one recognizes the most wanted criminal in the city, and two, the fact she's in handcuffs doesn't raise an eyebrow.  Then Kate drinks a beer and you just know it's drugged, but not Kate who seems to have the same survival instinct as Sylvia Plath.

So Kate ends up in Alice's old cell at the creepy old house, and is nearly helpless because she's cuffed.  And she has to find something to pick the lock instead of having a few lockpicks on her.  She's a disgrace the the family name Wayne for not having a few lockpicks on her just in case.

And 15 years ago Alice missed out on a chance to be rescued because the Creepy Man had a son who just happened to have a son who was a perfect mimic and Kate and Alice's Dad was such a dimwit he didn't insist on searching the house or Alice didn't trust her well trained father would be able to handle a Creepy dude.

Oh, and do they think keeping Kate in the spotlight and having Batwoman show up for a couple of minutes is going to make the show a success?  ;

6 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I guess they are trying to show her as a beginner who gets better at being a hero over time?  Doesn't sound very good though.

Even beginning heroes have common sense, and know not to trust a serial killer.

3 hours ago, Cassandra said:

She's a disgrace the the family name Wayne for not having a few lockpicks on her just in case.

Kate is a Kane, not a Wayne. She can be forgiven for having neither the genetic predisposition nor the traditional Wayne family training in such matters.

1 minute ago, zslane said:

Kate is a Kane, not a Wayne. She can be forgiven for having neither the genetic predisposition nor the traditional Wayne family training in such matters.

Good point.  

Of course she managed to uncuff herself in the first episode while underwater.  Did she think that Gotham was a safer place?

9 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Okay, where to start?

I think last nights episode can be summed up by asking one question of the main character.

What are your priorities, Woman?!!

She actually captured Alice!  She had her in chains!  But then Kate agrees to take her on a road trip to find out what happened to her!  

That's a question you ask when the Villain is in a cell in Arkham.  It's not really important if you want to protect the city and it's people.

But no, Kate takes Alice to a diner where one, no one recognizes the most wanted criminal in the city, and two, the fact she's in handcuffs doesn't raise an eyebrow.  Then Kate drinks a beer and you just know it's drugged, but not Kate who seems to have the same survival instinct as Sylvia Plath.

So Kate ends up in Alice's old cell at the creepy old house, and is nearly helpless because she's cuffed.  And she has to find something to pick the lock instead of having a few lockpicks on her.  She's a disgrace the the family name Wayne for not having a few lockpicks on her just in case.

And 15 years ago Alice missed out on a chance to be rescued because the Creepy Man had a son who just happened to have a son who was a perfect mimic and Kate and Alice's Dad was such a dimwit he didn't insist on searching the house or Alice didn't trust her well trained father would be able to handle a Creepy dude.

Oh, and do they think keeping Kate in the spotlight and having Batwoman show up for a couple of minutes is going to make the show a success?  ;

9 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Even beginning heroes have common sense, and know not to trust a serial killer.

So, my disappointment deepens.  You've covered the main failures and I just cannot conjure up enough care to try for more.

Looks like another show I will soon cancel recording.  I am still going to give it till ep 6 to do something.  Not very hopeful anymore.

I rather liked this episode.  Her time in costume was brief, but at least she got to kick some serious butt during that time.  Speaking of the costume, now that she is in the Batwoman costume and not simply the refitted Batman costume, IMHO she looks pretty good.  As for the road trip, obviously the idea was give us some of Alice's origin,  and I felt the scenes with child actors went pretty well.  Though, while Alice and Mouse are fine, I am hoping that they introduce the Religion of Crime from the comics.  Alice strikes me more as a mid-tier boss than an end game boss, so I am hoping for a villain switch after the winter break.

The show is still very meh.

Don't get me wrong.

I don't think the actors are doing a bad job in their parts.  I think the show suffers from what I call "Janeway Syndrome".  Great actress trying to make garbage scripts written by committee work.  We also referred to Voyager's Janeway as the multiple personality captain since she was so many different people episode to episode.

If Batwoman doesn't get a decent writing team soon, there will be no saving it.

If by "no saving it" you mean you won't watch it any more, then I can certainly sympathize. But if you mean it will be cancelled by the CW, then I'm not sure I agree.

The CW, as a network, sets the bar pretty low for itself, and permits shows to continue season after season with very "meh" writing. I think Constantine was the only Arrow-verse show that they cancelled after only one season. And that wasn't because its writing was any worse than any of the other superhero shows. CW ratings don't seem to correlate with the quality of the writing, so even if the writing on Batwoman doesn't noticeably improve soon, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to start a 10-count for it.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

At least Constantine the character and his actor got renewed life guesting on other Arrowverse shows, notably Legends of Tomorrow.

Which surprised me because I always thought that Constantine was a Buffy character.