Batwoman

Cassandra

On 11/6/2019 at 9:38 AM, zslane said:

If by "no saving it" you mean you won't watch it any more, then I can certainly sympathize. But if you mean it will be cancelled by the CW, then I'm not sure I agree.

The CW, as a network, sets the bar pretty low for itself, and permits shows to continue season after season with very "meh" writing. I think Constantine was the only Arrow-verse show that they cancelled after only one season. And that wasn't because its writing was any worse than any of the other superhero shows. CW ratings don't seem to correlate with the quality of the writing, so even if the writing on Batwoman doesn't noticeably improve soon, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to start a 10-count for it.

This is so true.  CBS only keeps SWAT and SEAL Team on because everything else on the network is so terrible.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

At least Constantine the character and his actor got renewed life guesting on other Arrowverse shows, notably Legends of Tomorrow.

That's a mixed bag.  I love the actor and wish his show had continued, but the tonal change required to put him on the self-deprecating and often outright silly Legends of Tomorrow is painful.

It literally convinced me to stop watching the show.  They ruined Constantine.  :(

On 11/6/2019 at 9:38 AM, zslane said:

If by "no saving it" you mean you won't watch it any more, then I can certainly sympathize. But if you mean it will be cancelled by the CW, then I'm not sure I agree

Oh, a TV shows being utter garbage really has no bearing on whether it is renewed or cancelled.  TV is filled with programs that no one can explain why anyone could possibly like them. 

Batwoman is juat another example of a show and cast with real potential being crushed by morons.  I'm guessing it may be CWs STD.  The high mucky mucks have declared it is great and they will lose any amount of $ and ratings rather than admit they were wrong.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:38 PM, zslane said:

If by "no saving it" you mean you won't watch it any more, then I can certainly sympathize. But if you mean it will be cancelled by the CW, then I'm not sure I agree.

The CW, as a network, sets the bar pretty low for itself, and permits shows to continue season after season with very "meh" writing. I think Constantine was the only Arrow-verse show that they cancelled after only one season. And that wasn't because its writing was any worse than any of the other superhero shows. CW ratings don't seem to correlate with the quality of the writing, so even if the writing on Batwoman doesn't noticeably improve soon, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to start a 10-count for it.

Constantine was never a CW show.  It was an NBC series, and their requirements for ratings are a lot higher than the CW’s.

NBC also gives up on shows a lot more quickly than CW will.  CW is willing to give a faltering show another few breaks before giving up on it, and NBC basically gives them six episodes to make them a million dollars.

Except for late night and news divisions which can do lousy and still be kept around because what else are you gonna run in that time slot?

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

NBC also gives up on shows a lot more quickly than CW will.  CW is willing to give a faltering show another few breaks before giving up on it, and NBC basically gives them six episodes to make them a million dollars.

Except for late night and news divisions which can do lousy and still be kept around because what else are you gonna run in that time slot?

Given the poor quality of network TV I've been watching either Hogan's Heroes, Married with Children, or Deep Space Nine if it's a good Dominion War episode.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, Cassandra said:

On the same point Arrow fell apart because not only did they keep the flashbacks going after he got off the island, but now has flashforwards about a team of heroes less interesting then the Arrow's own team.  That's on the same level as the DC Extended Universe making Aquaman the most popular male superhero.  It's an achievement, but I'm not sure anyone will want to pick up the award.

When I read it on the day you posted it, it gave me hope that the flash forwards would be something to look forward too as I had not watched that season yet. Now that I have, I must disagree with you. The flash forwards breathed new life in the series as we see that the next generation are just as heroic as their parents. My fav new character is Mia Smoak. 

Batwoman finally had an interesting character last night in the form of Julia Pennyworth, so naturally she had to leave by the end.  Her having Julia wear the Batwoman costume was so obvious that Babylon 5 would have called the show out for foreshadowing.  Oh, and when the Crow agents had Batwoman (Julia) no one tried to remove her mask?  Really?  Oh, and Kate carries around a .50 Cal weapon on her and can fire one from a moving motorcycle without being thrown off by the recoil?  Really?

The kick ass grrl syndrome in entertainment has long been a problem.  Joss Whedon's power waifs, the latest Charlie's Angels where the angels look like they couldn't punch out of a wet paper bag, etc.  Up to a certain point I'm okay with it (in the right genre or setting) but it is tiring watching a 5'1 97 pound actress pretend she can beat up a 6'7 280 pound bodybuilder.  Even Chuck Norris movies had him struggle against really big, strong guys.  That increases drama: dang this target is huge, how am I going to beat this one??

Remember the mantra of Mantis, from Marvel Comics: "Strength is nothing against skill." Of course that's predicated on having enough skill, and your opponent not being immeasurably stronger. Then again, in DC Comics Karate Kid has held off Superboy and the whole Fatal Five for brief periods, solely through his incredible martial art skills.

1 minute ago, csyphrett said:

I believe that Buffy is actually as strong as Blade, or maybe Captain America at the upper end. It takes a lot of omph to jam a pencil through a human rib cage.

CES

Matt's Champions Page has a 250 Points Buffy where she is close to 30 STR.  And we did see her carrying a steel girder on a construction site.